rennell sound road closing. need some advice

talked to the people at the tourism info center over the phone today. im planning on heading out there in july so I wanted to check up on the road status. they said the road from the bottom of the hill to the launch will be permanently closed in may. they are putting in a makeshift launch at the bottom of the hill but it will be exposed. how will this effect the area? I had plans of hauling my 23ft down the hill if it was dry out or launching in charlotte city and having the truck go around to meet me. I don't know the lay of the land down there. i'm just wondering how a trip out there can still me made possible. is there somewhere close to shore that a guy can anchor up and get fairly close with a pick up? i'm thinking I may have to bring a small tinner or zodiac to get to and from shore and leave the big boat on the water.

It will be the same as the other setup except as they say a little more exposed. As before best practice would be to re-launch every day you head out. Anchoring further up the inlet May be possible, and likely ok for weather, but it is an active log booming area so it is also likely you will be in the way

rennel sound.jpg

i've been once and we stayed further up the sound at gregorie beach. the old boat launch looked calm and nice whenever we drove by. pebble beach, pretty protected, i wonder where the new launch will be? its the corner at the bottom of the hill that is a bugger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there few years ago...pretty long rough gravel road with potholes to the Rennell Sound bay especially very dangerous steep hill. south end launch looked promising and safe, I am surprised it is closed. that s too bad. This particular road is active with large logging trucks. Yikes! I bumped into one and encountered a bear too. LOL

at least, I wasn`t skunked by going out in Rennell Sound. Priceless fishing!!!

I know one guy from QCCity who put his zodiac boat in there and ventured out..did very well on big springs, northern coho, and halibut too. but the northern winds are the problem at times.

The road to Clapp Basin, the sheltered boat launch protected by Shields Island, is now inaccessible because the German guy who bought up many properties on the Islands a few years ago won't grant an easement. A local group is trying to work or litigate a way around the problem, but I wouldn't bet on their success, at least any time soon. The Forest Service has just installed a good ramp by the campsite at the bottom of The Hill. That site is far more exposed to N and NW winds, making it a fairly unreliable area for mooring. With a Zodiac, you could still anchor your boat up in the old launch area, and run up to it quite quickly.

Back