Remote kicker steering

sly_karma

Crew Member
Transom on my Lund glass hull is weird, not enough separation between kicker and main. Has always been tricky but EZ Steer worked on the old Merc 150. Now I've switched to etec which is more bulky cowling. Moved the kicker as far to port as possible but still the cowlings touch lightly at full lock port.

I modded my main motor bracket to fit the etec leg and hooked everything up. There doesn't seem to be a way to make it work. Full extension isn't long enough now if the main is in the water and the kicker is raised and leaning to port. If kicker leans to stbd then the cowlings will clash when main turns to port. Longer EZ steer bar won't work because existing bar is too long when both motors are in the water - they won't run parallel. The only thing that would work here would be a three-piece EZ Steer bar and I don't think such a thing exists.

The existing bar could be connected once on location ready to fish and removed for the run home, but that requires raising both motors and hanging way out off the transom in whatever sea conditions are happening at the time. Not desirable. I've tinkered with tie bar connections using threaded rod but the etec housing blocks the bar's path when it goes past 50% steer to stbd.

I'm about ready to look at remote steer options. Please tell me your experiences and the pros/cons of the different systems. Consider the situation I'm working with: main and kicker crowded together with no real options to remedy this.

Attachments

• 20201212_151907.jpg
    20201212_151907.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 72
what about just building some larger heavy duty alum mounting points that stick out slightly past the cowling forward from the transom then a much larger one on the kicker then connect with threaded rod? But I also dont know how much room you have on the starboard and port side till you hit the hull on full lock both ways.

kinda like this but not as janky lol

DSCN2147.JPG.505f8bd63e3ab9a707df7f1c734718e0.JPG

I like Kb84’s suggestion however it looks like you have to manually drop the kicker before use. Is that correct? If so I can’t think of how to have both motors connected all the time as it seems like quite a height difference. You could have a quick connect at whichever OB is easiest to reach and connect each time you fish or head back to port.

Yeah hard to understand without seeing it in person, but the articulating kicker bracket pushes the kicker way aft when at operating height. Extending the steering brackets only works to a point. If they aren't similar in length then nothing stays parallel unless the linkage arm can change length- telescopic needed.

I played with it a fair bit in the previous main setup and only waynto work was EZ STEER. Added a jack plate for the etec which pushes the main back 6" aft off the transom, had hoped that would improve matters. But the leg configuration of the etec forces the linkage bracket way down low on the leg which is a new problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I wouldn't be asking about thousand dollar electric steering options if I could do it with a nice simple solid link.

Bump. Looking for input from owners of Intellisteer system, Panther T4/T5, Powertran. Pros and cons please.

Last edited:
Could you remount the plastic mount on the kicker bracket moving the motor farther over?

I have a powertran unit. Works great. Compact. Easy to install. Very fast response. I’ve got two wireless remotes so two guys can control steering....great when playing a fish. I fish solo a lot and having the remote is a huge benefit.

I've used a TR-1 for 15 years and love it. They were bought by Garmin and aren't made anymore but Garmin has come out with a new model which I haven't looked into yet. I mostly bought it to keep the boat in a straight line when I'm fishing alone or have someone with me who needs help getting their fish in. It's also nice to be able to eat, have a cup of coffee, rig tackle or whatever and not worry about the boat doing 180s from the wind or tide. The downside is slow turning, which may have been corrected, so I tend to stay out of tight crowds.

Thats a tough one. Cannot do a front tie bar.

Every single intelisteer I ever sold broke. Even the version claimed for salt water. Sorry boys they are junk

The older trophies we do fixed brackets and hydraulic steering with a liquid tie bar. Same issue with the kicker having a huge setback. Thats an expensive system though.

Ive used the Intellisteer system for over 7 years and love it. with the new triple AAA battery controller it runs for ever and really works well for me , I have a 21 ft striper and fish solo all the time and the Intellisteer works for me in all types of water never and issue , would probable not be able to fish as much as I do without it . Great unit !! ( I got the Intellisteer remote ) Highly recommend it . I have tried the panter, in fact two of them and in a year they rusted out.

Thats a tough one. Cannot do a front tie bar.

Every single intelisteer I ever sold broke. Even the version claimed for salt water. Sorry boys they are junk

The older trophies we do fixed brackets and hydraulic steering with a liquid tie bar. Same issue with the kicker having a huge setback. Thats an expensive system though.
Broke , how did you do that??
I have had mine for over 7 years, fishing a ton each year and not so much as a skip.
How did you "broke it " ??

Broke , how did you do that??
I have had mine for over 7 years, fishing a ton each year and not so much as a skip.
How did you "broke it " ??

I had one when they first came out in my personal boat. Piece of ****. Warrantied it twice. long time ago and don't remember all what happened with it.

Sold tons until the last few years I just stopped selling them. Was always something. Either the thing gets smashed off because they stick out which I never liked. Or the Chinese relays fail. Seen that several times. Or the motor or worm gear jams up. Remotes break and stop working. Seem a lot of failed units. Neat idea but meh

The on that sits in the boat with a rotary style steering cable is better that the other style

Hydraulics are where its at

Could you remount the plastic mount on the kicker bracket moving the motor farther over?
I got another inch of separation from the main by doing that. Still not enough.

I have a powertran unit. Works great. Compact. Easy to install. Very fast response. I’ve got two wireless remotes so two guys can control steering....great when playing a fish. I fish solo a lot and having the remote is a huge benefit.
Thanks. Did you install a throttle remote as well? I could see doing that sometime in the future.

Thanks, I figured as much but thought it wouldn't hurt to have the option down the road.

I have the Powrtran steering on my boat, combined with iTroll - it was the only steering I could fit on my boat. I like it.

I'm leaning toward the Powrtran so far, but of course it's the most expensive of the three <eyeroll>. I think the Panther is a pass for me, the motor/controller pod looks bulky and vulnerable and in my application there is no transom nearby to provide shelter or support. Do I have the correct take on this?

I've looked at the Intellisteer site. The type R for kicker control appears to be the appropriate model - tie bar connection doesn't work with my setup.

I fish solo a fair bit and like everyone else, I find it a challenge to run gear and keep the boat tracking correctly as well.

Back