Reminder

P

Peege

Just a reminder to all that the local shelters and food banks need all the help they can get. That frosty piece of fish in the bottom of your freezer would go a long way in a chowder or a sandwich.

Cheers,
Peege

Peege,do you know which ones take a fish?We used to save a fish for them every year,and a few years back they told us to take a hike.DAN

Food banks will not accept sport caught fish or game meats. It has to be in a commmercial pacakage. Never know when someone might decide to give away a frosty piece of fish that is 5 years old and cause a nasty virus to go through our homeless population. Better off to bring a can of soup or some packaged food.

I was asked here in Courtenay but maybe the rules are different. I wouldn't give anything that I wouldn't eat myself.

A couple of years ago at x-mas I won 5 frozen turkeys in different draws. I kept one for myself, I gave a couple away to friends, I offered 2 to a food bank. Much to my surprise, they would not take them. These were commercially wrapped, frozen turkeys that were about 18 pounds each.

I think they may take them from a grocery store but not from somebody's home freezer.

Probably worried about them being tampered with and litigation issues. Sad but likely true.

If you guys have fish that arent gonna leave the freezer for the table another place you can take them is the North island wildlife recovery center. Its in errington near parksville. Saves them going and getting fish for the eagles,bears ect

Back