Remain objective about Cohen Inquiry

Sushihunter

http://www.canada.com/Remain+objective+about+Cohen+Inquiry/3218043/story.html

Remain objective about Cohen Inquiry

By Jeremy Maynard, Courier-Islander June 30, 2010 12:00 AM

I suppose - or at least hope - that most literate citizens are like me and don't believe everything they read or hear from the various media, otherwise it would be disturbing to think that the broad public could be that gullible. My sense of the "smell test" is honed by those things that I know to be true, or not as the case may be, and that experience informs my response to those items in media about which I am less certain.

I was pondering this after I read the editorial "Inquiry into the Inquiry" (C-I, June 18) and came away hoping that most readers will not be swayed by such nonsense.

If some of the energy that went into conjuring up such alliterative phrases as "mismanaged with mealy-mouthed manipulation" was actually spent on researching reality (good journalism!) instead of parroting the comments of a politician who apparently believes the only appropriate outcome of the Cohen Inquiry into last year's Fraser sockeye collapse is a public roasting of DFO officials then the C-I editorial might have been worth reading.

Instead it was a piece of writing that does a disservice to a readership that hopefully is concerned about Fraser sockeye and depends on media to inform them with some degree of accuracy.

The truth is that the one individual MP John Cummins, and by extension this newspaper, particularly objects to having been appointed as an advisor to the Cohen Inquiry is one of the very best salmon scientists in the world. Dr. Brian Riddell is, in my opinion, precisely the kind of person who should be providing guidance to those whose careers are more usually spent considering legal matters. Brian left DFO, much to its dismay, after a distinguished 30-year career within the department and did so because of his frustration with the inability of it to do the work that needs to be done to better secure the future of salmon. This of course relates to the systemic inadequacy of resources provided by Ottawa to do the task at hand, but that's a different issue.

Don't doubt Dr. Riddell's commitment to the salmon resource here in BC, for instead of heading off into quiet retirement or being lured away by handsome offers from major universities in foreign lands he has signed on with the Pacific Salmon Foundation to assist with the vital work the PSF does.

In any event I hope readers remain objective in their considerations about the inquiry, the outcomes of which one way or another are sure to shape the management of salmon along Canada's Pacific coast into the future. I for one am satisfied Judge Cohen has chosen well of those he will be depending on for advice.

Another piece of writing in this newspaper also caused me some initial concern, this being the headline (which I don't choose) above a column of mine several weeks back that in large print described the chinook fishing locally as "red hot". I'm never entirely comfortable with such hyperbole and thought for sure such a public declaration would be the kiss of death, with the productive fishing surely ending right then.

I'm pleased and slightly relieved that this has not been the case, for the chinook fishing across the north Strait of Georgia has continued to remain impressively productive by the standards of the past 20 years, and if anything the fishing has improved. Long may it last!

One really welcome addition to the catch has been the presence of coho, anglers are reporting them from all around the strait. It has been many years since this kind of coho abundance has been encountered in inside waters, especially this early in the summer. In addition the ratio of hatchery fish (identified by a missing adipose fin) to wild fish is considerably higher than usual, affording genuine opportunity to keep some.

Although we're not quite back to the good old days of coho fishing in the Strait of Georgia just yet, the relative abundance of coho this early summer once again points to good ocean conditions encountered by these fish a year ago when they first entered the marine environment.

With luck this will have been true for all the other salmon species as well and the pink returns later this summer will be a strong indicator for those species that will mature in subsequent years.

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

With reference to Jim's post above here is some background info from the CC website and below that some points of view from Alexandra Morton:

The Cohen Commission (www.cohencommission.ca) was established on November 5, 2009 with the appointment of the Honourable Bruce Cohen as Commissioner. Under its Terms of Reference, the commission will hold hearings to investigate and report on the decline of sockeye salmon in the Fraser River. Based on its findings, the commission will make recommendations for improving the future sustainability of the sockeye salmon fishery in the Fraser River, including, as required, any changes to the policies, practices and procedures of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in relation to the management of the Fraser River sockeye salmon fishery.
http://www.commissioncohen.ca/en/NewsReleases/DiscussionPaper.php

From Alexandra Morton :

The Cohen Inquiry into the Fraser sockeye decline is under intense scrutiny for hiring people connected to DFO to investigate DFO. Meanwhile, scientists who have worked on impact of aquaculture were rejected due to their connection to me. However, we have the same lawyer as won our BC Supreme Court challenge, Greg McDade, and we are optimistic that this Inquiry can be a powerful process to reveal the scope of impact of salmon farms on the Fraser sockeye. I encourage all to visit their website frequently and see the submissions. There is one posted there now from hockey star Willie Mitchell who has a deep personal interest in salmon. http://www.commissioncohen.ca/en/

We are hopeful that this year’s Fraser sockeye return will be a big one because this lineage has shown the least decline. There are numerous Fraser sockeye runs and year-classes. These strands twist together like a rope. If we get this strand back, we are lucky but it does not mean the ones we are losing have recovered. Each generation of salmon stands alone, but also are critically linked genetically and ecologically. They cannot thrive alone.

As the inquiry turns up the heat on salmon farming, the attacks have disintegrated to mud-slinging. Below are two links to the National Post that cast doubt on anything this paper has ever published. The money reported in this article must include everything related to wild salmon research, I don’t believe the environmental organizations have received anything close to this for working on salmon farm issues. As well, I have been in the middle of this for 20 years and have never been approached by Alaskan interests. These writers are grasping at straws. Their source on this was reportedly hired by MP John Duncan, a salmon farm advocate. The scientific community is responding and we will be posting these as they come in on salmonaresacred.org

http://www.financialpost.com/news/Salmon+farm+battle+about+competition/3167822/story.html

http://www.financialpost.com/This+science+fishy/3169251/story.html

Farming salmon is never going to feed the world because it takes more fish than it makes, but aquaculture has a place and there are Canadian engineers, communities and organizations who are going to lead us out of this mess offering jobs and a product and technology that Canada can be proud of. Some supermarkets, such as Overwaitea in Canada are currently sourcing land-based salmon from Washington State, which is an opportunity missed. http://www.livingoceans.org/media/news04211001.aspx As well, one of the 4 main supermarkets in Norway, ICA, announced that fish farmers must move into closed containments within 3 years, or they will remove farmed salmon from their close to 1000 stores in Norway, Sweden and Holland. Between disease, drug resistant lice and their markets the fish farm industry will have to move into tanks and hopefully Canadian fish farmers who are ahead of the curve will reap the benefit.

COSTCO is a major buyer of BC farm salmon.

With reference to Jim's post above here is some background info from the CC website and below that some points of view from Alexandra Morton:

The Cohen Commission (www.cohencommission.ca) was established on November 5, 2009 with the appointment of the Honourable Bruce Cohen as Commissioner. Under its Terms of Reference, the commission will hold hearings to investigate and report on the decline of sockeye salmon in the Fraser River. Based on its findings, the commission will make recommendations for improving the future sustainability of the sockeye salmon fishery in the Fraser River, including, as required, any changes to the policies, practices and procedures of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in relation to the management of the Fraser River sockeye salmon fishery.
http://www.commissioncohen.ca/en/NewsReleases/DiscussionPaper.php

From Alexandra Morton :

The Cohen Inquiry into the Fraser sockeye decline is under intense scrutiny for hiring people connected to DFO to investigate DFO. Meanwhile, scientists who have worked on impact of aquaculture were rejected due to their connection to me. However, we have the same lawyer as won our BC Supreme Court challenge, Greg McDade, and we are optimistic that this Inquiry can be a powerful process to reveal the scope of impact of salmon farms on the Fraser sockeye. I encourage all to visit their website frequently and see the submissions. There is one posted there now from hockey star Willie Mitchell who has a deep personal interest in salmon. http://www.commissioncohen.ca/en/

We are hopeful that this year’s Fraser sockeye return will be a big one because this lineage has shown the least decline. There are numerous Fraser sockeye runs and year-classes. These strands twist together like a rope. If we get this strand back, we are lucky but it does not mean the ones we are losing have recovered. Each generation of salmon stands alone, but also are critically linked genetically and ecologically. They cannot thrive alone.

As the inquiry turns up the heat on salmon farming, the attacks have disintegrated to mud-slinging. Below are two links to the National Post that cast doubt on anything this paper has ever published. The money reported in this article must include everything related to wild salmon research, I don’t believe the environmental organizations have received anything close to this for working on salmon farm issues. As well, I have been in the middle of this for 20 years and have never been approached by Alaskan interests. These writers are grasping at straws. Their source on this was reportedly hired by MP John Duncan, a salmon farm advocate. The scientific community is responding and we will be posting these as they come in on salmonaresacred.org

http://www.financialpost.com/news/Salmon+farm+battle+about+competition/3167822/story.html

http://www.financialpost.com/This+science+fishy/3169251/story.html

Farming salmon is never going to feed the world because it takes more fish than it makes, but aquaculture has a place and there are Canadian engineers, communities and organizations who are going to lead us out of this mess offering jobs and a product and technology that Canada can be proud of. Some supermarkets, such as Overwaitea in Canada are currently sourcing land-based salmon from Washington State, which is an opportunity missed. http://www.livingoceans.org/media/news04211001.aspx As well, one of the 4 main supermarkets in Norway, ICA, announced that fish farmers must move into closed containments within 3 years, or they will remove farmed salmon from their close to 1000 stores in Norway, Sweden and Holland. Between disease, drug resistant lice and their markets the fish farm industry will have to move into tanks and hopefully Canadian fish farmers who are ahead of the curve will reap the benefit.

COSTCO is a major buyer of BC farm salmon.

See also this post by Sushihunter here on the Open forum:
Problems with Inquiry - Phil Eidsvik
Phil Eidsvik speaks about his concern of Brian Riddel and the likely hood of conflict of interest he brings to the inquiry ....

Funny that Jeremy Maynard apparently insists the "inquiry into the Inquiry" is nonsense and also says: [he]"hopes most literate citizens are like him and don't believe everything they read or hear from the various media, otherwise it would be disturbing to think that the broad public could be that gullible"

Perhaps a tad gullible himself if he beleives that Brian Riddell comes to the inquiry without any possibility of conflict of interest ?

Interesting ...

Panel member of salmon inquiry quits because he can't testify at inquiryBy: The Canadian Press

7/07/2010 5:44 PM | Comments: 0

VANCOUVER - A key member of an advisory panel for the inquiry looking into the disappearance of Fraser River sockeye salmon has resigned.

Brian Riddell, president of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, issued a brief statement Wednesday saying he agreed to serve on the panel with the initial understanding that panel members could also be called as witnesses.

He says his understanding has now changed and that "Commission policy is now that panel members cannot also be called as witnesses," so he's decided to step aside.

Delta MP John Cummins says the resignation makes sense because Riddell was the head of science at the Department of Fisheries Pacific Region for decades.

Cummins says Riddell's work at the DFO will be under review at the inquiry and that puts him in an obvious conflict.

Inquiry hearings looking into the disappearance of millions of fish from the 2009 Fraser River sockeye salmon run are set to begin in September.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this article at:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/gr...ause-he-cant-testify-at-inquiry-97980489.html

Back