registration papers on boat

You mean pleasure craft licence right? Most non commercial owners will not have registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how easily confused "Licence" and "Registration" are. No wonder when our beloved federal govt decided to put a piece of paper in every boat operator's pocket that they called it Pleasure Craft Operator Card. In most places it's a plain old boat licence but in Canada the name was already taken.

Re taxes... to what provincial body do I apply to pay them? I can picture myself being bumped around on the phone for half an hour or so before sense of humour failure occurs. Thanks, but I have a bill of sale and the feds got a copy of that when I licensed the boat. If they feel like passing that info on to BC and those fine fellows eventually send me a bill, I'll pay it then.

Don't worry sly_karma, they'll let you know that they want their money. A year and a half after I bought my boat and re-licenced it i got a tax bill for the value. I paid the tax up front with ICBC when I registered the trailer to take the boat home the day I bought it. Had to send the feds the reciept from ICBC that the taxes were paid.

I think the key is to remember the BC government will eventually send you a tax bill for 12% of the price. It may take a long time, in my case two years, but eventually it arrives.

As you know these licenses are only valid now for 10 years, the transport guy I talked to indicated that all pleasure boats that were licensed before 2010 will have there license expire in 2020, can you imagine the backlog that is going to occur.

Maybe at some point the licence will also be proof of ownership? Have to think that might cut down on abandoned boats. Every time I see a boat left to rot on the beach I question how its allowed to happen!

got my license last week , takes about 1 month to get all the paper work back from NB. Make sure to send in your bill of sale, copy of your drivers license MAKE SURE YOU SIGN THE PAPER with your scanned or photo copied license, along with the pleasure craft paperwork filled out off the PDF from transport canada.

They also only last for 10 years then you re-register again.

Here is a Pic for anyone wondering what the paper work looks like when you get it in the mail, now ive removed all my info off the scan.

Nicks%20Boat%20License%20Paperwork-page-001_zpscvy4qygb.jpg

HERES THE ONLINE APPLICATION FOR ANYONE LOOKING

https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1001/pubweb/default.aspx?lang=en-CA

Kingblazer84,thanks for that,I bought a new(to me) boat recently and was unclear as to where to apply.

Here is a Pic for anyone wondering what the paper work looks like when you get it in the mail, now ive removed all my info off the scan.

Nicks%20Boat%20License%20Paperwork-page-001_zpscvy4qygb.jpg

Hey guys, sorry Im confused. I carry my PCOC, Pleasure Craft License, fishing licenses(tidal and non tidal), trailer registration and have the appropriate numbers on my boat.

Are you saying that I need proof of ownership as well? I cant find anywhere that it says I need to show proof of ownership on the vessel? The boat license states that it isnt proof of ownership but I dont think that implies requiring proof of ownership.

How do I do this with an old boat that has been in my family for close to 35 years? Th

To licenses the boat you need a bill of sale a copy of that is what I carry with my paperwork. Your situation may be different because the boat has been in the family a long time, so you may want to make direct contact and ask for help.

Proof of ownership makes sense. Pretty hard to report a theft or for the authorities to catch a thief if that thief doesn't need proof the boat is his.

Proof of ownership is the Bill of Sale for pleasure crafts. All you need on your boat is the Pleasure Craft license paper like I posted there, and your bill of sale for proof of ownership. If it has been in the family that long and there is no bill of sale you will have to fill out a form regarding the lost or no proof of bill of sale, best to just phone transport canada and they will guide you to the form you need.

I thought proof of ownership is on file when you claim your GST and pay it. Also I believe I gave a copy of bill of sale to service Canada to get the TC document..So truthfully that is a little silly to ask for proof of ownership. I carry the TC document, and a photo copy of the bill of sale in my boat, but my original stays at home. I have never been asked for it.

I think this is being overthought. Main thing they are looking for is that TC document shown above. Personally from dealing with GST and registration this process does need a lot of improving..It's no wonder people don't do it a lot of time . A wait time of one month for this document is ridiculous . Mine took two months.

Also making people self police themselves to pay GST it stupid..Just pay it initially at ICBC when you insure your trailer. So many guys are getting dinged with out proper proof of ownership, and avoiding GST. Then the government just determines what boat is worth... I have seen it several times, and can cost thousands.

"I carry a copy it in my boat"

"I wait time of one months I ridiculous."

"police themselves to pay GST it stupid"..
SV, I think your autocorrect has taken acid. Either that or you have suddenly lost all sense of grammar or want to sound like an ESL student.:D

It does seem overly complicated,call 1 a license and the other registration to simplify.What I did when I bought recently ,and I know others have done the same,is have the seller give me 3 bill of sales.One for the boat,one for the trailer and one for the motor.B.C takes care of the trailer tax when you register it,The boat bill of sale is sent to Transport Canada with the application form that I printed off the TC website and they'll tax me on that eventually,If they question the value of the boat I'll add the motor value and pay the tax.Not trying to get away with something but I'm taxed to death already and it avoids paying tax twice on the same unit.

just to Clarify the pic I posted was the License you receive in the mail once you submit your pleasure craft license application papers and info to Transport Canada in NB.

Also after I received mine, I created a PDF version of it and saved it on my computer as back up and printed a second copy and had it laminated for in my boat so it cannot get damaged in any way.

It does seem overly complicated,call 1 a license and the other registration to simplify.What I did when I bought recently ,and I know others have done the same,is have the seller give me 3 bill of sales.One for the boat,one for the trailer and one for the motor.B.C takes care of the trailer tax when you register it,The boat bill of sale is sent to Transport Canada with the form that I printed off the TC website and they'll tax me on that eventually,If they question the value of the boat I'll add the motor value and pay the tax.Not trying to get away with something but I'm taxed to death already and it avoids paying tax twice on the same unit.

To clarify the tax for boat motor and equipment is paid to the BC government and is taxed at 12%. If you paid the tax on the trailer when you registered it you will simply have to provide that info and you won't be charged again. It may take a couple of years but eventually you will get a letter from BC telling you that you have 30 days to pay tax. The separate bill thing may have once worked but that loophole is closed.

Wow I got confused reading this.

This is my understanding...

You need 3 documents

Your boating licence, the course you take online.

Your pleasure craft licensing..... 14knumber or BCnumber

Failure to produce is 250.00 fine

Last.... Proof of ownership of the "motor vehicle"

So my understanding of the transport Canada law and the criminal code allow peace officers the right to ask you to provide these documents. I believe they ask for proof of ownership papers is they cannot validate stolen boats from not stolen.

Back