Reels?

Pitre

Anybody using the Rapala shift mooching reel...any good??

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone in the years I've worked on a dock with those reels. I have seen 2-3 of the Rapala regulars, but can't remember how the guests liked them, if they had said something like "as good as an Islander" I would have remembered, as I was shopping for reels at that time. What you have to consider is that 399+GST+PST=$447. You can find an almost brand new Islander MR3 out there for the same price(Usedvictoria/Craigslist). With that in mind, I would definitely go with the gold standard of fishing reels out here(no pun intended.) There's a reason MR3's are so popular (2 years ago they were on Serial number 12xxx) and I would not go for anything else, apart from maybe an Abel.

Don't run the Shift but I have ran a couple of their North Coasts for 4 years now. I also run one Islander so I have the ability to compare first hand. I have to say at first I didn't like the North Coasts, you want line creep holy smokes. People talk about line creep on Islanders it's never been an issue on my MR2 but those Rapalas were bad. It took 2 seasons until the drags smaterned up. I'm not a fan of just loosening drags and dropping the down riggers, I always hit the free spool and just run my finger on the spool to let them out, my theory why wear drag for nothing. But I started doing it on the North Coasts and after a few runs it really smartened up the drag, must have worn them in some obviously because the line creep stopped and I really like them now. At first the drag was a bit jerky as well when fighting fish but they have really smoothened out. Still not as smooth as my MR2 but very nice. One thing I don't like is the drag knob, it's to slick and when your hands are wet or a bit slimy it's very difficult to get a grib on it to set it. All in all I don't mind them now but,, they ain't no Islander.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 57
I have 4 shift mooching reels they are great. Lots of line capacity, quick pickup and the flat handles are very nice. Don't compare with the north coast they are far better

Back