Reels....Explain the differences to me...Islander, Amundson, Trophy, etc

Pineapple Express

I currently fish with Diawa M-One UTD 400 reels which seem to work OK. I'm wondering about the more "premium" reels like Islander, Amundson, Trophy, etc

What are the differences between the Islander models (MR2, MR3, TR3, MR2LA, etc). How do the Islander models compare to the Amundson and Trophy products?

I see on the PN&T site they also have an Abu mooching reel, and I know Rapala makes a machined aluminum reel. Those don't interest me...if I'm going to upgrade from the Diawa I want to support a company that is more locally based.

Also, has anybody ever taken an aluminum reel and gotten the anodizing stripped off and had it anodized different colours?

Islander is the top of the brands you list although there are more expensive ones.
The rest are really knock off's, particularly Trophy and TFO Pacific.
The Chinese can duplicate most things, but the internal workings of the reel are not up to Islander standards.
I'm not an Islander guy, but can appreciate a local quality product.

To quote "if I'm going to upgrade from the Diawa I want to support a company that is more locally based. ", then Islander would be Made in Canada.
Trophy and Admundson are local companies sourcing the product offshore.
Really depends on your budget, you get what you pay for.
I have 2 MR3's but have fished all the rest.

I've got 2 MR2's and 2 MR 3's. Had them 7-8 years now. They take a beating and provide you a quality product. MR2's have the free spool option that MR3's don't. But the MR3 has a much larger arbour. You have to service Islands at least yearly in my experience and spray them down with fresh water frequently. One bad experience I've had happen twice now is if you put on too much line...... specifically with the MR3, the line can creep between the frame and the spool and wrap around the spindle and break. This happened to me fighting fish twice. I've learned to not overload line when I re-line the reels. Otherwise compared to Abels they are pretty price competitive. Still miss using my old 1975 Peetz reels though gotta say.

Last edited:
I’ve played with most of the brands listed.

I started with trophy xl’s which are machined quite nicely, have a freespool knob and cool colours. They have a rather quiet drag.

The Amundson I’ve used from a few of my friends and they all love them. Very loud clicker, carbon drag. I find them a big clunky. They’re solid and probably the best bang for the buck at $300.

Islander mr3 are have slightly larger arbour than mr2. Mr2 does has a freespool if you like that. Islanders are refined, beautiful and they are 14 minutes from my house. I now use 4 of them (MR3). There is a bit of creep on them unless you tighten a bit more than usual but it’s not so tight a good size (10lb+) couldn’t pull some drag still.
The cream of the crop of the big 3 brands that I’ve discussed are the islander TR3. I will likely find my way into a couple of them sooner than later!

Last edited:
Differences include:

Materials - high quality aluminum and high quality anodizing vs cheaper aluminum and other metals and plastics. This affects weight, “feel”, and robustness ala Stormtroopers 20yrs of flawless function vs seizing up or parts busting off.

Machined vs cast: fit and finish as well as strength. Die cast can’t match machined for strength or fit and function of parts.

Drag: size, materials, Springs, washers. Cheapest reels have cheap washers and springs that rub, wear and break, giving unpredictable and inconsistent drag. Most higher end use large cork surface as its tried and true as a reliable and consistent drag surface for over 100- yrs., state of the art drags are sealed ceramic and carbon, like the TMX-5s.

You do typically get what you pay for, but as in most things the price increase is steep when you move up to the top levels of quality and finish, ala Abel and Islander reels.

Lots of great options but Islander is local and known for a great product and great service.

Cheers!

Ukee

I’ve played with most of the brands listed.

I started with trophy xl’s which are machined quite nicely, have a freespool knob and oterry colours. They are rather quiet drag.

The Amundson I’ve used from a few of my friends and they all love them. Very loud clicker, carbon drag. I find them a big clunky. They’re solid and probably the best bang for the buck at $300.

Islander mr3 are have slightly larger arbour than mr2. Mr2 does has a freespool if you like that. Islanders are refined, beautiful and they are 14 minutes from my house. I now use 4 of them (MR3). There is a bit of creep on them unless you tighten a bit more than usual but it’s not so tight a good size (10lb+) couldn’t pull some drag still.
The cream of the crop of the big 3 brands that I’ve discussed are the islander TR3. I will likely find my way into a couple of them sooner than later!

Where do you find the Amundson for $300?
Interested in getting a couple.

Where do you find the Amundson for $300?
Interested in getting a couple.
Trotac marine has em right now for that. A couple weeks ago it was $269. That’s Canadian too, so about $10 us should buy you a few.

I have an open boat and don't enjoy packing my rods up and down the dock when staying at a marina for 3-4 nights, so I don't. Graphite Daiwas and Shimanos and cast alu Daiwa 275s work fine for me. The fish don't care and neither do I. I once lost a Technium and Shimano overboard to a slimy hand and a dull brain.. $250 hurts less than $650. My tackle sleeps in the truck.
I've used MR3s and Trophy QR tyees. They look nice.

For what its worth, Ive been using my Trophy Tyee's for just over 2 seasons and still love them.

$$$, $$, $ ..

I fished the $ for the first season, and if you kept the handles tight, they did well enough. I got a deal on some $$, carbon drag, larger arbour, nicer handles. Would love to fish some of the $$$, but I'm in the boat where I buy everything used - maybe one day. FWITW - hold both a TMX-5 and trophy together and you will quickly see the advantages of one over the other.

Cheers,

I have an array of mr2, mr3 and mr2la. You cannot beat the old style mr2, the rest I use as backup

Thanks, just sent them an email. Website Is under construction.
It has been for years. Make a call and ask for Dan. Tell him Steve sent you. His days off are Friday and Sunday. See if you can still get the $269!

I've used trophy tyees for the last 3 years and no complaints, they have a nice smooth drag and are pretty durable reels. I would stay away from the Rapala classic moocher, I bought one last year and they don't work well on the downrigger because you have to tighten the drag so much so that there's no line creep - the problem with this is that when a fish strikes there's too much tension on the line.

The Peetz stainless reel looks like a nice reel and seems to be made in Canada. Any feedback on these?

I got one from the wife for Christmas 2 years ago. It is a simple looking reel and looks decent but I haven’t even put line on it yet...lol. Luckily she wouldn’t know one reel from another one! I’ve been happily using MR3’s for 9 seasons and it’s hard to not use them....one day I’ll give it a go.

Back