Reel Problems

falcon1

I have a small baitcasting reel, that I really want to get working. It is in excellent condition, but it has a strange fault. Whenever you cast, the line in the reel instantly turns into a birdsnest. I am wondering if the line I am using is too heavy (10lbs). Should I go lighter?

Welcome to the world of baitcasting reels.......a problem they've had since they invented them.

Lots of manufacturers have come up with different "built-ins" to combat the problem.

The use of your thumb lightly on the spool as you cast is an age-old trick to combat over-run and bird's-nesting.

It takes practise and is an "art".

The use of lighter line may not necessarily help you at all.

Ok, nice to know it's not my fault. I will need to use heavier weights so that thumbing it does not stop it. Right now that is that happens.

Some of the newer lines are more refined for individual purposes maybe the type of line might be the issue.

Falcon.....it is o'k' to use your thumb....the idea being that the thumb pressure is not judiciously applied until the last moment....when the line has stopped going out but the reel spindle is still turning.

Monofilament 10lb test. I have a small ammount of 4-6lb mono as well, would that work better?

Might help to know what make/model og reel.
All have different ways of adjusting the spool tension.
I find, in general, if you adjust the tension so that when you hold the rod with the tip pointing straight out, and the lure attached that you will be chucking, then hit the release and slightly raise the tip, the lure should, smoothly descend to the floor.
Depending on the reel, if it needs adjusting, you can slide the spool weights, adjust the brake or click the centrifical brakes in or out.

You might find that the braided lines will perform differently. Try Spyder line or similar.

Monofilament 10lb test. I have a small ammount of 4-6lb mono as well, would that work better?

I don't think its your line...

Bait casters do take some getting use to. Thumbing the spool is a good way to limit the problem. Chances are you are nesting when the lure/weight hits the water at the end of your cast. The sudden stop in momentum creates slack in your main line and boom, you have a nest. Your baitcaster should have a freespool adjustment knob of sorts. With your rod fully dressed with float, weight and lure, hold your rod as you normally would when fishing. Engage the freespool. Using the freespool adjusting knob tighten or loosen freespool to the point that your tackle setup slowly falls to the ground at a controlled pace. Too loose and your tackle will just fall uncontrolled. To tight and nothing will move. It is usually a sensitive adjustment so it helps to adjust the knob in freespool, then crank in a few turns of line, and adjust again if needed.

That knob is there to stop backlash in your line when it hits the water and loses the momentum from casting. If you set it just right you should not get a birdsnest. It does however limit how far you can cast as it does create resistance when in freespool. Once you have the hang of the reel you can back off the freespool tension and use your thumb to do the job.

They are a great reel once you get the hang of it. If your tensioner is too loose you can run into nests mid-cast as well due to the whip of the rod creating line slack. If you are nesting all the time, you probably have some quality bearings in that reel. My Calcutta was a pain when I first got it for that reason.

EDIT: or I could have read the whole thread and would have found that Labman covered it....lol

Back