Reel for downrigging

P

plumber

Hi all, first post from a land locked alberta boy.

I'm looking for opinions on running a level wind reel on a down rigging rod. The old man had surgery for carpel tunnel on his hands, and has a tougher time with mooching reels as his hand cramps up. The level wind style reels look like they might be a bit easyer for him to run with the big grip and not having to burn out the scars on his palm slowing down fish.

Alos, the reel would get run on an Ugly Stick Lite downrigger rod.

Anyone with any experience or other suggestions?

Thanks alot.

sounds like it would be alot easier for him, retrieval rate would help as well, I think they're 3-1 or 5-1?

diamondback485

Level winds on an ugly stick for salmon......don't forget to leave the flashers on the rods when your'e under power:D:D:D Sorry had to take the bait. BRS

quote:Originally posted by plumber

Hi all, first post from a land locked alberta boy.

I'm looking for opinions on running a level wind reel on a down rigging rod. The old man had surgery for carpel tunnel on his hands, and has a tougher time with mooching reels as his hand cramps up. The level wind style reels look like they might be a bit easyer for him to run with the big grip and not having to burn out the scars on his palm slowing down fish.

Alos, the reel would get run on an Ugly Stick Lite downrigger rod.

Anyone with any experience or other suggestions?

Thanks alot.

First of all, I'm not much of a fan of levelwinds for Downrigger use. Or Salmon fishing. But I do understand the need in this case.

I would look at the Shimano Charter Specials, the Penn 320 or 330 - they even come with a lever drag now, which is very nice!

Load them up with 25# Berkley Big Game, Maxima Ultragreen or Ande mono and you will be all set.

As for the rod...

You might want to try a Shimano Convergence rod.

CVC-M106MH-2 - it is a 10.5' "Mooching" rod. I've been running 4 of them for three years now, and I love them.

True, a bit awkard in tight spaces, but fantastic for handling fish of any size. And most importantly, not one guest has broken off a fish since switching from my old Shimano TDR 9' rods!

With the old TDR rods, my guests would break off fish (flasher and all) at least once per trip. All it took was a bit of hesitation in letting the fish run, and SNAP! :(

The Convergence rods have way more shock absorbing than the old rods - enough to make a major difference.

Give them a serious look. In Campbell River, River Sportsman was selling them for $60 each (when I bought mine). This could easily be a hundred dollar rod, but don't tell Shimano! [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

[/quote]

First of all, I'm not much of a fan of levelwinds for Downrigger use. Or Salmon fishing. But I do understand the need in this case.

I would look at the Shimano Charter Specials, the Penn 320 or 330 - they even come with a lever drag now, which is very nice!

Load them up with 25# Berkley Big Game, Maxima Ultragreen or Ande mono and you will be all set.

As for the rod...

You might want to try a Shimano Convergence rod.

CVC-M106MH-2 - it is a 10.5' "Mooching" rod. I've been running 4 of them for three years now, and I love them.

True, a bit awkard in tight spaces, but fantastic for handling fish of any size. And most importantly, not one guest has broken off a fish since switching from my old Shimano TDR 9' rods!

With the old TDR rods, my guests would break off fish (flasher and all) at least once per trip. All it took was a bit of hesitation in letting the fish run, and SNAP! :(

The Convergence rods have way more shock absorbing than the old rods - enough to make a major difference.

Give them a serious look. In Campbell River, River Sportsman was selling them for $60 each (when I bought mine). This could easily be a hundred dollar rod, but don't tell Shimano! [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

[/quote]

X2... Sorry GLG, but one day I will have have you retire that Charter Special with braided line and use a mooching reel on a 10.5 foot rod.:) Hey, maybe you could sell yours to this fellow..

The Shimano Charter Special TR1000 lever drag is an excellent choice, try and get a 1000</u> as the 2000 is bigger/clumsier to handle.

Shimano1000LD2.jpg

The Calcutta 7000 is also a great reel for the job if you like a little bling.

CT700B.jpg

The Shimano Tekota falls somewhere in the middle and is very popular in the USA

shimano_tekota_700_301_1249983890_L.jpg

Get him something like a big Loomis Steelhead rod, one with a trigger grip to make it that much easier to hang onto.STR 1265C is what I like to use-tough as nails.

I agree with Sushiunter as I run the same rods 2 with TR1000 and 2 with MR2's and they work great. CR I think is out of those rods for $59 as my friend bought the last one.
Good fishing.:)

Fire-Ex

I use the 2000 Charter Special as it gives you 30% more line capacity, faster retrieve rate and only weighs 4% more than the 1000 (17.1 oz compared to 16.4 oz). The Calcutta 700 is in a different league if you've got the money, but the Charter Special seems like the best balance of cost to performance for me. A rod with a trigger grip does make any levelwind feel a lot more comfortable.

Back