red snapper

D

darmin

anybody ever targeted snapper in the nanaimo area what type of lures would a guy use etc

Use bait (herring ect) or just jigs like macdeeps ect. They are gettin pretty hammered though i get them as bycatch and their small 3-5lbs

Use bait (herring ect) or just jigs like macdeeps ect. They are gettin pretty hammered though i get them as bycatch and their small 3-5lbs

I caught a few last summer if your targeting them fish deep, baits probably best I think they'll hit most hootchies and spoons too try glo

I caught a few last summer if your targeting them fish deep, baits probably best I think they'll hit most hootchies and spoons too try glo

My favorite for snapper is a yellow top / white bottom pencil jig with octopus tentacle teasers on the barbs of a treble hook. By using fairly big jig/bait we keep the smaller gaffer by-catch down to a minimum. We also have guests reel the fish in very slowly just in case what they catch is too small and needs to be released. I like rocky drop-offs in the 120-250' range on the lee side of reefs for snapper in our area. Keeping the boat right on the drop-off is always fun, but we seem to do better fishing the slopes rather than the bottom edge of the drop-offs or on flats with structure. We've got some spots we fish them around 350' but need a slack tide and guests with some previous experience jigging as it's pretty hard to feel/control the jig at those depths - but there are some nice lunkers down there [:p]

Alas no snapper fishing until next season now. With rockfish AND lingcod closed in the Strait there is not much out there other than flounder as greenling are just too hard to target without picking up rockfish. Closing rockfish, rather than allowing 1, has pretty much shut down winter bottom fishing in our area....

Good Luck!!!

My favorite for snapper is a yellow top / white bottom pencil jig with octopus tentacle teasers on the barbs of a treble hook. By using fairly big jig/bait we keep the smaller gaffer by-catch down to a minimum. We also have guests reel the fish in very slowly just in case what they catch is too small and needs to be released. I like rocky drop-offs in the 120-250' range on the lee side of reefs for snapper in our area. Keeping the boat right on the drop-off is always fun, but we seem to do better fishing the slopes rather than the bottom edge of the drop-offs or on flats with structure. We've got some spots we fish them around 350' but need a slack tide and guests with some previous experience jigging as it's pretty hard to feel/control the jig at those depths - but there are some nice lunkers down there [:p]

Alas no snapper fishing until next season now. With rockfish AND lingcod closed in the Strait there is not much out there other than flounder as greenling are just too hard to target without picking up rockfish. Closing rockfish, rather than allowing 1, has pretty much shut down winter bottom fishing in our area....

Good Luck!!!

thanks Sir thats some good info I was going over D.F.O s site and found the regulation change I will give it a shot next season though thanks for the info:D

thanks Sir thats some good info I was going over D.F.O s site and found the regulation change I will give it a shot next season though thanks for the info:D

The information coming from DFO during these SFAB meetings is that they will re-open rockfish to 1 per day, so stay tuned.

The information coming from DFO during these SFAB meetings is that they will re-open rockfish to 1 per day, so stay tuned.

Back