Recreational Halibut Fishing Closure

yammy5

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0891-Recreational Halibut: All areas - Halibut Fishing Closure

Throughout the 2010 recreational halibut fishing season, the Department in
conjunction with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Working Group
have reviewed in-season monthly catch estimates.

Catch information indicates that the recreational share of the Total Allowable
Catch has been reached.

Therefore, recreational fishing for halibut will close effective 23:59hrs
October 18, 2010 for the balance of the year.

2011 management actions will be developed throughout the fall and announcements
will be made in early 2011.

Variation Order 2010-395 is in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Tamee Mawani 604-666-9033 or Devona Adams 604-666-3271

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0891
Sent October 6, 2010 at 09:40
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

What complete and utter BS!!!!!!!!!

Why don't sports fishermen unite
so that we can fight this BS???????

Agree

Complete F'n Bull Shyt , a few of us were still planning on hitting hali in the next month or 2 , we hardly even fished them , what a f'n joke , can't wait for Jeff to see this..

i have spoken to ALOT of fisherman from Tofino down to Bamfield , number of guy's fishing for them were WAY DOWN ... the cleaning stations were way down...

I indicated this would happen last year when discussed ," 1 per day " give an inch , take a mile , what do ya know ???? Un real , Time we really look at , Daily limits , Area Closure Times, this is NOT working for WCVI, completely unfair split

I am by no means the Rep for the WCVI , But , I do know , alot of you will side with me on this...

WHO took the 12 %

UNReal

FD...

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

As I have stated before, it is a pretty sad state of affairs when a democratic western country has a govering body that can besiege its citizens with such blatant and utter corruption....and nothing ever changes.

Like seriously, this takes the cake even for DFO.

Must be my fault? I caught and kept three (3), all between 20-30 lbs this year to feed my family and friends. Soon there will be a backlash from the sport sector, seasons and limits ignored! They can't take us all to court. There I feel better already.

Since I didn't get out much I only got one.... and a chicken at that... sorry for putting you guys over[xx(]

Don’t look at me I didn’t catch any Halibut this year.

I sent a letter to the Minister last winter complaining about the unfair quote split we have. I wrote her that I would not be going to the WCVI to fish under the current rules. I would not spend any money for hotels. I would not go to any restaurants for any of the needed meals. Of course the gas station would not be seeing my business either. The docking and marine fees would also be not needed. I would not be going to the local fishing store to buy any Halibut fishing gear. My wife and child would not be shopping in the small town that caters to tourists and fisherman.

Well no WCVI trip for me this year as promised.
They reason you guys didn’t see many Halibut getting cleaned at the dock was because hundreds of people like me had the same idea.

Time to get another letter fired up and off to the Minister. May I suggest others to do the same. This is the perfect time to say something, as she will be expecting some backlash from this new closure. If she doesn’t hear from us she will assume it is OK with us.

GLG

Curious to see if you rec'd a a reply ?
I sent a letter last year also complaining about
the unfair split (88/12) and never even got a reply.:(

whoops, senility is kicking in.... [:I]

wait a min. that letter is from 2009 ...
i wrote another one this spring and no reply
maybe they get sik of us complaining. [V]

A total sell out to the commercial sector **** on the avr. Joe who shares his 3 or 4 halis a year with family and friends.who said life was fair.:(

I totally share your frustration however next time we organize a rally again (trailering boats through downtown Victoria) to protest DFO's mismanagement or next time there is a demonstration FOR fish you probably have something more important to do again... Sorry, therefore it's also YOUR fault. Get your lazy a$$es off your couches and things may change. Or just stop whining.

now hold on minute, i didnt catch any so who ever took my share plz bring it over to my house so i can enjoy it;)

There was definately no shortage of Fisherman along the WCVI , was busier than ever , again " 1 fish" was not motivating to most ,especialy when the average fish is about 15-20 lbs , most fish kept were incidental catches ,

another factor that " I " noticed was, the salmon were suspended in the upper water column this season , 60 - 100 feet,,

Don't get me wrong , there were hali being caught by those that knew exactly where to get them , closer inshore , but , most of the warriors , typically knew that if they wanted there Hali , the most guaranteed way , the " Outter Banks " not worth it to most !! Again , Spoke to ALOT of fisherman ...

In a perfect world , I think we need to split our %18 percent in a fair manor ( i think dfo is full of shyt that sporties took %18 this season ) but , i would like to see 2 fish per day, and a 2 fish posession limit here on WCVI , ( did anyone keep 10 Hali this year on WCVI , barely , Why put it in place then , were already hooped at % 12 , Why give anything more back , we were cut down to 1 a day , look what happened , still closed early , B.S.,,, F them ) , ,Hoping Most would agree with me..

*** These meetings that were held last year , during the week , on the island , who`s gonna go , take time off work ,ferry costs , hotel , etc... Why not have them there for the locals , and here on the mainland , this is where most come from to fish there ,( if there were here , i missed out , someone let us know if they do , i will be glad to spread the word ) Have it on a Friday evening or Saturday , are they scared to many people would show ???,,,Seriously , what a a joke...

I know what i say here is never gonna happen , it`s a rant , but , we do need to all unite here , fight for our % 12 atleast , i don`t think we got it..!!...:(

Almost want to keep fishing them , send a message to those CK Suckers , were not gonna take it..

FD...

quote:Originally posted by GLG

Don’t look at me I didn’t catch any Halibut this year.

I sent a letter to the Minister last winter complaining about the unfair quote split we have. I wrote her that I would not be going to the WCVI to fish under the current rules. I would not spend any money for hotels. I would not go to any restaurants for any of the needed meals. Of course the gas station would not be seeing my business either. The docking and marine fees would also be not needed. I would not be going to the local fishing store to buy any Halibut fishing gear. My wife and child would not be shopping in the small town that caters to tourists and fisherman.

Well no WCVI trip for me this year as promised.
They reason you guys didn’t see many Halibut getting cleaned at the dock was because hundreds of people like me had the same idea.

Time to get another letter fired up and off to the Minister. May I suggest others to do the same. This is the perfect time to say something, as she will be expecting some backlash from this new closure. If she doesn’t hear from us she will assume it is OK with us.

GLG

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

I don:t give a sk%% about the limits, but the butt## in ottowa dont give a sh## about fisher people out here eithier. so t0 hell with them, we should do what the FNs do and take what we need.

rd green

I don:t give a sk%% about the limits, but the butt## in ottowa dont give a sh## about fisher people out here eithier. so t0 hell with them, we should do what the FNs do and take what we need.

rd green

Back