Record smashing Bluefin tuna

The article as linked is a load of ignorant lying bull-this is what I posted on another forum

"the 4 hour fight meant elevated lactic acid levels if you were to cut that fish open you'd find the flesh a brown colour literally cat food grade -worthless even if you could sell it -nothing like the high priced fish @ major fish markets."

Seeing as the sport fish fleet catch "Grander" Blue Fin Tuna off PEI - i.e. fish over 1000lbs, every season I'm wondering if this is a different species or just a garbage story?

Ukee

what an awesome fish! Not saying if the article is true or not. . . but, tuna burn is pretty unpredictable. sometimes tuna that are landed and iced within an hour are ruined while other tunas of the same size are completely mistreated but shown no signs of burn. Its pretty interesting--some fisherman think that the sex has a lot to do with it and others think that it has to do with what the fish was doing immediately before it was hooked. From my experience, I would tend to think that length of fight and proper icing is important as are all the other factors. But I can say that when you cut open the fish you never can be sure what you will find. On that note: I wish I did, but I have NO experience with bluefin, haha!

So people are catching these huge fish with a good chance? 50/50? that they will not be edible? yet this fish is one of the most regulated fisheries for lack of fish. 800 pound fish caught just so it can be thrown in the trash, nice. How many baby tune does an 800 pound female give birth too?

So people are catching these huge fish with a good chance? 50/50? that they will not be edible?
You're somewhat unclear on the nature of the New Zealand Bluefin sport fishery.The fish in question was legally hooked & landed so there's no need for you to get your panties in a twist last I checked (last Monday in fact) sport fishing was still a blood sport.

yet this fish is one of the most regulated fisheries for lack of fish.
There are lots of Southern Bluefin google is your friend in that regard.

800 pound fish caught just so it can be thrown in the trash, nice.
Where do you get that from?

It's much more complex than you imagine-the people who are catching these for sale know they have so much time to land a fish and use the gear to do so-I've seen this in the South Pacific.

How many baby tune does an 800 pound female give birth too?
Tuna aren't live birthers that's something else your pal google could have helped you with.

Tell us more, tell us about the albacore waste in bam again please?
Take a happy pill man...talk about a buzz kill

Dogbreath your saying that no matter how long it takes to land the fish they are always edible? I found this

The Australian government alleged in 2006 that Japan had illegally overfished southern bluefin by taking 12,000 to 20,000 tonnes per year instead of the their agreed 6,000 tonnes; the value of such overfishing would be as much as USD $2 billion. Such overfishing has severely damaged bluefin stocks. According to the WWF, "Japan's huge appetite for tuna will take the most sought-after stocks to the brink of commercial extinction unless fisheries agree on more rigid quotas". Japan's Fisheries Research Agency counters that Australian and New Zealand tuna fishing companies under-report their total catches of southern bluefin tuna and ignore internationally mandated total allowable catch totals

That sure does seem to contradict your 2nd statement. should I really keep looking?
as for your 3rd statement the fish in question is indeed going in the trash as it's being stuffed rather than eaten, the article even states that.

OK, after going and READING, the southern bluefin is very much overfished and in decline, it is amazing that you would post what you did like some authority on the subject even stating "There are lots of Southern Bluefin Google is your friend in that regard." YES you know what GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND! you should try it!

"Australian catch peaked in 1982 at 21,500 tonnes, and the total population of SBT has since declined by about 92 percent."

Last edited by a moderator:
BtW 411 kg is 907 pounds

Back