recommended rigs for inshore casting ?

the shark

what rigs would you guys recommend for casting ? i recently tried a drop shot rig with the weight on the bottom of the leader and a hook tied midway in the leader and made sure the hook sticks out, but i noticed im having a hard time setting the hook this way. and what size hook should i use ?

More details like where are you fishing and what are you targeting would help.

Are you using bait, and just letting it lay on the bottom? How deep is the water, does it have a rocky, or boulder bottom? How far are you casting? I often fish from a pier here in Campbell River, using just a buzz bomb or other jigging lure, quite successfully at times. I don't lose many lures as the bottom is gravel and weedy.

im not sure exactly how deep but id say from previous fishing trips it seemed it was from 20 feet to 8 feet in some places. but if you cast straight out were talking ocean, from 30 to 100 feet deep. and i like using anchovies as bait. how far do i cast ? i dont know how far do you think i should cast ? should i just drop it right below the pier ?

How are you rigging your anchovy? Are you using a whole fish or just chunks? If you are really flinging it out there you might have a hard time keeping it on your hook.

The problem with fishing from a pier or shore for bottom dwelling fish without knowing the depth and composition of the bottom, is you will constantly hang up on the bottom with jigging lures. As you are using anchovies for bait, it is difficult to get it any distance without tearing the hooks out of the anchovie. There are a couple of ways to alleviate this and still be able to get some distance.Make the anchovie harder by brining it. Buy a pack of anchovie heads, and use it to secure your anchovie. , use a # 2/0 hook and a small treble in tandem and bury the first one in the flesh, and put one of the treble hooks in the base of the tail. you can secure the treble with some of that stretchy thread you can get at a fishing shop.
Perhaps the reason you are having a difficult time setting the hook is related to the size of the hooks you are using, If you are getting small fish trying to rob your bait try a very small treble.

When I toss bait chunks, I rig the hook above the weight { distance varies by targeted species and underwater composition}. To hold chunk bait to the hook, those little bread twisty wires work like a charm- bait the hook as usual but also tie the bait on with the bread twisty and send it all sailing as far as possible.

I don't think anyone else does it around here, but the same method of tying it on works great when kite fishing whether top water or deep dragging- that chunk ain't leaving the hook.

When I toss bait chunks, I rig the hook above the weight { distance varies by targeted species and underwater composition}. To hold chunk bait to the hook, those little bread twisty wires work like a charm- bait the hook as usual but also tie the bait on with the bread twisty and send it all sailing as far as possible.

I don't think anyone else does it around here, but the same method of tying it on works great when kite fishing whether top water or deep dragging- that chunk ain't leaving the hook.
the little wire things ? the ones they have in grocery stores...... for free :rolleyes:

Back