Rec fisherman accommodation review....

xavier

I would appreciate hearing others experiences this year with respect to accommodations. Not looking for rants, just objective critiques...

I was lucky enough to get to Poett Nook, Critter Cove and Toquart Bay this year. Of course...I understand timing has a great deal to do with everything but would rank my fishing experience at Nootka number one, Toquart (mostly fished Southbank) second and Bamfield third.

I found Critter to be of excellent value all around --- great service, great facility. Worth the extra money and a bargain when compared to the next step up. I stayed in the bunkhouse at Poet Nook and would never do it again. The campground was good though and the staff were great...the bunkouse is just seriously getting worn. Would not hesitate to stay there in the camper though. Also stayed at Toquart, found it to be great as well --- for a fish camp. However, the moorage situation was a bit of a gong show. Both the Nook and Toquart are a step up when compared to Port Renfrew Marina IMHO. However, thinking as I am typing, moorage is important when on a trip and PRM does a much better job keeping that straight than Toquart. Look forward to getting back to all three again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already started making plans for next summer and I am thinking Moutcha Bay, I'll likely camp there and moor my boat. I'd love some feedback from others. Good topic Xavier, thanks for posting.

i worked this year at harrisons cove,great experience,, good food for guests,(guide meals were good also,just no tenderloin) great people running the show now, guides helpful, clean rooms, and they will sell you fuel if you are staying there. All the other extras included,, vac pac, freezing, bar fridge, moorage,.... not expensive either. 10 mins from toquat.

I stayed at toquart the first time this year.. I found the campsites small. If you did not have one of the regular/local campsites you could not put out your awning. Also no garbage pick up. Personally, I will not go back but continue on to Ukee instead IMHO

I have stayed at a quite a few sites in port alberni ........... Arrowvale campground is the BEST. The MOST FISHERMAN user friendly place and great for the family with goats and donkeys entertaining the kids if you have them along.
A freezer for your fish, large sites with water and power and internet. Free showers too with lots of pressure..
There are also very private sites or cabins if you so choose to stay in luxury.

The campsite is 5 minutes from clutesi marina.

If you are into steelheading you have your own private access to the river and alligator run..I beleive it is called? Maybe Nog or someone can correct me on the name of the water out front?? been many years since I drifted the river.

Our little group enjoyed staying at the Seabeam at Bamfield in July price was right friendly people nice new showers nice clean accomodations will return there next summer for sure. Also really enjoy camping at Alder Bay fishing isn't always the best but its a beautiful place just to relax. Telegraph Cove was OK definately good marina but very pricy and camping wise it sucked. Will not go back.Alder Bay is much more enjoyable. I would like to hear more on Port Hardy where to stay etc marinas, camp grounds

Also really enjoy camping at Alder Bay fishing isn't always the best but its a beautiful place just to relax. Telegraph Cove was OK definately good marina but very pricy and camping wise it sucked. Will not go back.Alder Bay is much more enjoyable. I would like to hear more on Port Hardy where to stay etc marinas, camp grounds

I really like Alder Bay as well. I have never stayed at telegraph, I have visited and the camping set up did not appeal to me either. Jeannie at alder bay wants to make your stay very enjoyable.

Top to bottom $

Other than Weigh West, where in Ucluelet can you stay that has boat moorage and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg?

Pretty sure Weigh West is in Tofino.

My experiences this year:

Tofino
Moored at Weigh West. Put my 22 with pod (25 really) into a spot beside 16s and 18s. Not that easy to get in/out of, for me. Kid on dock cleaning the fish, and freezer storage for the fish was GREAT.
Stayed at the Wickinn, with wife and kids. All of us loved it and are going back next year. Two arms & legs though.

UKEE
Stayed at West Coast Motel. GREAT Service. Nice pool. Excellent fitness center.
After a day on the water, a dip in the pool was perfect.
Rooms were spotless. I think it was about $100/night for two twins.
Downside: No Fish Storage, and not allowed to have fish in coolers in your room!
Really like the Motel, and would like to go back, but not sure what to do about the fish situation.

Previously
Seabeam in Bamfield
Stayed in the then-new Atco's - NICE!
Stayed in the trailers... hopefully they've been burned by now.
Stayed in the Bunkhouse - thin walls, but otherwise comfy, and you can't beat the price!
And the guys that run it are GREAT.

I would appreciate hearing others experiences this year with respect to accommodations. Not looking for rants, just objective critiques...

I was lucky enough to get to Poett Nook, Critter Cove and Toquart Bay this year. Of course...I understand timing has a great deal to do with everything but would rank my fishing experience at Nootka number one, Toquart (mostly fished Southbank) second and Bamfield third.

I found Critter to be of excellent value all around --- great service, great facility. Worth the extra money and a bargain when compared to the next step up. I stayed in the bunkhouse at Poet Nook and would never do it again. The campground was good though and the staff were great...the bunkouse is just seriously getting worn. Would not hesitate to stay there in the camper though. Also stayed at Toquart, found it to be great as well --- for a fish camp. However, the moorage situation was a bit of a gong show. Both the Nook and Toquart are a step up when compared to Port Renfrew Marina IMHO. However, thinking as I am typing, moorage is important when on a trip and PRM does a much better job keeping that straight than Toquart. Look forward to getting back to all three again.

Really , they just cleaned it up this year ??
$80 a night , sleeps 4 has a mini bar fridge and heater in every room , a huge kitchen eating area fully stocked ??
a nice BBQ to use for free as well ,,,??? great option is all im saying , far from run down...
my friends stayed there as well as other guests this summer , they made it work and enjoyed it actually ,
its NOT an Executive Inn , but clean and cheap ??

FD

We made it work this year and enjoyed the trip...there is a reason why there was vacancy in the bunkhouse on a long weekend. Didn't expect to get in details --- but now feel compelled to share. Maybe we just had the worst unit.... the door and lock did not work to our room, never mind the fact they did not have a key for it...mattresses on bunks were stained and wet, bar fridge was full of mold and had stuff left over in it. Communal fridge had stuff from two weeks prior - at least, carpet was full of mildew, room had not been vacuumed or cleaned in a very, very long time. While it technically sleeps four, the room is about 7 x 8. No comparison in value between it and Critter Cove in my humble opinion. I'll sleep in my tent next time...

80.00 was expensive for what you got - which was not much - there was only two of us...

But hey, the docks, bathroom/shower complex, people and location are great! I'll be back FD, just not in the bunk house...

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, good cleaners are a deffinate asset, and hard to come by.....holmes*

Ya.....we had to be the cleaners when we were staying here....just down the beach from where J-Global stayed in Tofino; it was tough to cope with but we managed. ;)

The cooking was great....rooms were clean and luxurious with GREAT views.

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

Your right about Weigh West being in Tofino, I got confused I meant Island West Resort in Ucluelet. Anybody stayed there with a boat? Any comments on what it is like?

We stayed at Island west last year for a night. thought it was good we had dinner in the pub (was OK )
The docks are great and hoses that reach each slip to wash the boat off

I would go back for sure..

Thanks Dogbreath, can you say why?
In the past I've had issues with shoddy book keeping practices resulting in errors with my account-so much so that I find it hard to imagine staying there without a gun pressed to my head.

Three people I know have had terrible experiences with the the place-double billing/arrogant ignorant management issues-this in the past year alone.

The operation has been bought/sold/gone broke countless times and seems to be literally falling apart under the constant assault from WCVI weather-nothing is renovated and that's why docks are largely empty even in high season.

They do have good water pressure @ the hose for the launching ramp that's the only good thing I can say.

Well of course I have to ad.......Stay away from the Quarterdeck in Port Hardy. Iam sure you guys already read our posts this spring.

I've had pleasant experiences at Alder Bay and Moutcha Bay. Tofino Swell Lodge is reasonable, with a friendly communal eating area where everyone pitches in to create fabulous meals and talk fishing. Owner's boyfriend is a guide, lots of Americans, but that's okay. All have docks.
We stay at the Water's Edge in Ucluluet and moor at the boat basin. Great split 3-4 ways, pricy for just 2. Island West is just okay.
Heard moorage at the Ukee boat basin will double next year with no long term moorage unless you are tight with (Steve?).

Now that I have bigger boat, I'll be checking out the Nook and Toquart and China Creek and perhaps Brown's Bay in 2014 when the next big sockeye run hits.

Are Quatsino and Kyoquot no goes for a 17' whaler? Never been there.

Hey Tubber

You will ok off Quatsino, just pick your days. The good thing about WH is there is lots of good places inside to fish when the weather goes sideways.

As for accomodations, we have only used Winter Harbour Cottages. Nice place, great people and a few options on cabins.

Cheers

SS

Back