Ready Set Jet

You think a jet does that much damage to the gravel beds! What the hell do you think all this rain is doing to them. It's alot worse then a jet going by once and awhile. Quit complaining about guys that have jets, just cause you wish you had one in your driveway!

My Dream........2 f-450 duellies....2 snowmobiles.....2 jet skis....2 dirtbikes....2 quads.....2 sportbikes....2 harleys....2 humvees...3 offshore scarabs...4 lifetimers....6 jetsleds...everyone of them with a kickass stereo to crank in the outdoors...all equipped with beer fridges...and my own oil rig and refinery....oh and last but not least..my own garbage dump with no regulations ....kickass ....mouthhack. oh yah...our clubs motto is "get some before its all gone".

I've been in 'em and I still hate 'em.

Makes catching steel WAY too easy. Any newb can post big numbers from a sled. No skill lotsa kill. Big deal.

Lotsa noise, smoke and hassle as well. IMHO, they represent the fihsing equivalent of road hunting.

Ban them now!

Gooey.

Don't want to stir this pot too much, but on Tuesday I was hiking back up from Slide pool when I heard the sound of a chainsaw. I peered through the trees to see a jet-sled stuck in one of the log jams across the river below Falls Pool. One guy continues to fish the seam while the other (guide?) buries a chainsaw hilt-deep in the flow and rips the blade through the submerged part of the jam - after several minutes there are chunks of wood floating in an oil-slick down the river. I watched him sheepishly looking around to make sure no one was looking, but don't worry, we saw you! Great job guys - steelheading in it's purest form.

They should a least make it illegal to fish out of the boat it should be used for transport only Just like they did on the Gold

Easy bob, we both know it takes an operator to srew it for the rest of the guy's. Sure it opens up alot of flow to the guy's that are fortunate enough to be angling from the above mentioned. It also moves the fish around for some of the guy's that have spent all day hiking to their favorite spot only to have the fish lay down until the sled or d. boat moves through.. Each to there own.
As for the rest of the weak hearted, deal with it and learn how to go some where that there is no chance of a drift boat or sled.. The last time I checked there were countless streams an angler could pursue without any chance of running into the taboo...-dirty

Gooey, no skill and all kill just because you fish out of a jet. Almost any newb can have a big day even from the bank if they are in the right place at the right time. What kind of skill is involved to have some newb in a drift boat stick his 10 or 11 ft rod out the back and free spool his reel. Lets ban drift boats now because some guy is jealous he is not in one. So Murpy and his boys have no skill because they fish from a jet? There is a ton of water out there to get away from the jets. A bankie can out fish a jet if they know their system and have put in their time to know where the fish will be in certain water conditions. Jet or not 10% of the guys catch 90% of the fish.

Just so that everyone doesn't get painted with that brush, I will say that an awful lot of jetters have great fishing ethics and are very respectful to us bankers. Props to those who wave and keep driving. That being said though, it only takes one sled to stop and pull a couple fish from the outside of the seam to ruin a banker's day...

Well I hardy come to the fresh water side but what I am going to say applies to salt and fresh!!!!!!

Success in catch lots of fishing, owning a jet,or drift boat while people are on the banks and pisses people of comes down to one thing JEALOUS beacause they dont have the knowledge or the skills to catch fish or the money to buy one of these boats.

I know some great people that fish from shore and they get tons of fish YES your chances are increased on a boat your covering more fishing area, same as a caster of the rocks at beachy head ill get way more fish than him for one reason I cover more ground, if you dont like it join them buy a boat, or stick to the small systems where those boats are not allowed.

Good luck Wolf

Gotta agree with wolf on this one. I'm a bank fisherman and yes I do get pissed off by the jets on the stamp sometimes. The only reason I get pissed off is only because I see them pulling fish out of water that I dont have the oppurtunity to fish because I dont have a boat. Its not the jet guys fault that I dont have that luxury to go fishing in a sled. One thing that I havent seen anyone mention yet is that the majority or boat operators on the stamp have a lot more etiqutte and class than 75% of the bank fisherman on that river. You dont see boats pulling up and fishing the drift youve been working for an hour already, they leave you alone and go to a different spot, unlike the shore guys that will come and rub shoulders with you any time they please. Just like wolf said, this whole topic is just about jealousy. Sure the jets **** me off but when it comes down to it, i would kill to actually be fishin in one for a day, i just dont have that oppurtunity, unless i fork out 400 bucks to Murphy, which wont be happening any time soon cause I seem to do just fine on the bank. And until someone comes up with some real evidence that jets blow all the spawning redds right out of the river, all this topic is about is jealousy.

PS good job Bags everyone took this one deeper than a summer run to a ghost shrimp in the upper.

I had a chance to meet one of the guides today he pulled into shore and we shot the **** for a bit really nice guy{ROLLEY) and yeah your right it is a bit of jealousy I wouldnt at all mind jumping in a sled but Im to cheap anyway im learning a little more about the Stamp every time I go up the harder you work the more you get I hooked 4 today managed to beach 2

Easy there fellas.

In my personal opinion I don't like jets and never will. I spent two summers guiding out of one on the Tatshenshini River before a lot of you guys were born, so I'm no stranger to them. The smoke, noise, and hassle of launching etc don't appeal to me personally, so I don't participate any more - its just not steelheading to me. I kind of associate that stuff with my summer fishing.

On larger rivers, with robust, stable populations of steel or whatever else you're fishing for - fill your boots, I see no problem with it. The Stamp, Fraser and Skeena come to mind as perfect examples of rivers that can handle this tpye of fishing.

Remember, this thread started out with as discussion of jets on the Cowichan. For a river like that, with decent, but not huge populations of steel, I'd say no way. The river is too small, the potential for landowner disturbance leading to further animosity towards anglers leading to even more restrictions on bank access, is too great. Jets should be banned on the Cowichanand all smaller systems in perpetuity IMHO.

I believe, at some point in time, the fish need somewhere they can rest and not be subject to fishing pressure. Jets and even drift boats remove these havens and put the poor buggers under the gun every day, all the time. Without rest, and subject to multiple hook encounters, eventually you've to to hurt them in some way. I have no science to back up this assertion, its just a gut feel of mine.

Do I feel jealous of guys in jets? Nope. Do I feel concerned for the fish who have absolutely no where to hide, yup. Do I hate the noise, stink and pollution that's all part of the "experience" (not to mention the BS associated with "obstruction removal" that goes on - some of which I've done myself as "part of the job"). Yup

Thats my opinion guys, and thats all I have to say on the subject.

Jet on boys, just keep em off MY river;)

Gooey

well well well, how soon we forget our roots, i am sure that each and every one of you that fish from a sled once fished from shore and hated the sleds cumin up into your water,and if you didnt well man its time to get your boots wet and find out what fishins all about, theres nothin worst than wakin up at 3 am to hit the flow ,you get there and theres already six cars parked at the spot your goin, so you hike down to hopefully find a spot to throw some casts threw and then you hear the sound of the jets cumin up , and you know they are parkin right on your seem i tell ya theres been lots of times like that, but hey to each, as for you dirty, i seem to remeber a time when you where the first one with a chunck of lead to chuck at the boats when they got there, again how soon we forget

Back