Re-powering a Skagit Orca

I just repowered with Suzuki and their six year warranty was one of my deciding points. Also all the Suzi dealers on the island , make service and parts readily available. I agree with the thought that ---having a good dealer is crucial! good luck, it sounds like you know what your doing.

There goes the kids Inheritance

After a long search on the Island the 2003 Orca is re-born with new power-300 HP Yammie from Port boathouse in Alberni

Attachments

• DSC01405.jpg
    DSC01405.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC01407.jpg
    DSC01407.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 428
I'll be very interested in hearing how much better the performance is. At some point I might do the same thing. Nice looking set up.

Good looking rig spring,, your set for many more years now.

Great looking set up spring fever. It will be interesting to see how much better the performance is as well as the fuel burn compared to your last one. You should have a great set up and peace of mind for a long time now.

Good choice will be putting a 300 yam on in a week or 2 on my rig. I did a ton of research all over the island, on forums, and phoned many shops in Florida because they stack so many hours on there power down there that seems to be the motor all the way around for parts availability, and reliability. Enjoy! I do know of a couple powerheads that went but they were on the same 2 boats so I think it may have been operator abuse. The shop in Florida told me if you drive a Toyota Corolla from there to hear in the red line rpm range you would cook that proven motor in a very short period of time so if you run your power the same way you asking for problems. They recommended best cruising between 3500 - 4000 RPM and that they are getting 3000 - 5000hrs on most boats including the Sheriff boats down south. Apparently Yamaha doesn't consider the 300's broken in until there is at least 300 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for all the good wishes. I too am looking for a difference and am really interested to see what happens to the fuel consumption. I definitely have Cape Scot in my sights after an absence of 3 years. Little break in period and time to get serious. LOL

You will love that new engine. I've had mine for 4 years and not one problem.
On average at 30 mph, I get a 2 gallon per hour better burn rate than I did with the 250 hp.
Just make sure you change the water pump every year, The rubber used in the impeller is to soft and wears out. I've change mine every year and everyone the Port Boathouse has taken out is showing signs of wear.
Now that Orca will do over 40 mph and get better gas millage.

That sounds encouraging-how many hours are you changing the impellor at?

At the end of each season at about 130 hrs. The guy who docks beside me installed a new 300hp last year and he changed his impeller and said it was worn.

Cheap insurance fix to changing the life line (water pump) of the engine.

Love my new 300 as well...good to know about the impeller....good luck Mike and let us know how you make out!

I am jealous. Going to a yami 300 is on the list sometime in the next couple years. How many hours did you have on the 250?

I am jealous. Going to a yami 300 is on the list sometime in the next couple years. How many hours did you have on the 250?
The tach said 825 but the engine diagnostic said 754-it was a babied 225 hp from 2003. Nothing wrong with it as far as I know-but they had a known problem and it gnawed at me for years, that plus the fact that the boat was underpowered ; I fish a long way from anywhere generally (Winter harbour and far off-shore) and I'm 68. All those factors plus a wife who was tired of hearing me ***** about needing more power caused the trigger to be pulled. LOL

Hey SF, I would love to put a F300 on my boat someday. What size prop were you running on your 250 and what size are you running on the 300? Thanks

Hey SF, I would love to put a F300 on my boat someday. What size prop were you running on your 250 and what size are you running on the 300? Thanks
The old motor was a 225 not a 250 and it was a 15x 13 this is a 151/2 x 17- quite a difference but I do have the option to change at 20 hrs.

that's what i'm running on my 250, did you get the sds system? I've been happy with SWS prop but wish I could plane at lower rpm when running in a swell. I thought about trying a Mecury Rev 4 but never got around to it.

Yes it has the sds system although I have a back-up prop on board which is not sds for emergencies. Will let you know how it goes-next week-still loading the boat and re-rigging stuff.

Back