Rain - and your local rivers?

banger17

We all know how dry it has been this year (especially summer), and we also know the impacts it has had on the local rivers (Cowichan as a prime example).

I have welcomed all the rain, and we have had about 2" in Nanaimo since yesterday morning. It got me onto thinking about how much rain you have had, and have you noticed any effect to the local streams and rivers yet?

I live close to the Cowichan and just took a hike down to the river to check it out.There seems to be a little more flow than
a couple of days previous but could use a heck of alot more.Calling for more rain the next few days so hopefully that will
spike it and those poor springs can get up.Then all they have to do is run the gauntlet of FN spears.It must suck to be a
Cowichan spring salmon!

When we have had as dry a summer and fall as this one it takes a fair bit of rain to saturate the ground and then get water into the rivers in quantity. At least it has started and every drop helps.

Don’t know the FN spear fishing situation but it does occur to me that the basic principle would be the same as other fisheries by other sectors which in this case would be no spear fishing until there has been sufficient escapement for spawning to insure future generations of Cowichan Chinook. This is especially true in years such as this one which may well become more frequent with climate change. If the FN leadership wants to be taken seriously as self governing and concerned about the future of salmon and the interests of their people in the long term they need to say “no” more often to their own people and yes I know they take the heat for it when then do it. Welcome to politics, you are not always popular.

The other solution is a no brainer; raise the level of the weir to provide more water in the lake to be released as needed in the summer to keep the small fish growing in the river alive, support spawning in the fall and keep the water temperature down. The FN’s are perhaps the only ones with sufficient political power to push this through in light of the political clout of very powerful, wealthy lake front property owners who have been permitted to build on the flood plain like lake front and don’t want to be inconvenienced by having a higher water level in the summer impinging on “their property” even a little. They have a strong sense of entitlement and the clout to have our own politicians at all levels apparently afraid to take them on. Because of this a world class river in terms of fish will die and not only do the fish suffer but also the economic, cultural, social and quality of life benefit they provide to all. Once they are gone they are pretty much gone forever.

Let’s remember that it is man that has changed the environment over the last hundred and fifty years with logging and development etc. so that a number of our watersheds no longer have the same capacity to hold water and release it slowly over a long dry summer to support rivers like the Cowichan and of course there are other demands for the use of that water such as pulp mills and the related "jobs" mantra.

What you have here is a failure of political leadership and will on all sides and at all levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we have had as dry a summer and fall as this one it takes a fair bit of rain to saturate the ground and then get water into the rivers in quantity. At least it has started and every drop helps.

Don’t know the FN spear fishing situation but it does occur to me that the basic principle would be the same as other fisheries by other sectors which in this case would be no spear fishing until there has been sufficient escapement for spawning to insure future generations of Cowichan Chinook. This is especially true in years such as this one which may well become more frequent with climate change. If the FN leadership wants to be taken seriously as self governing and concerned about the future of salmon and the interests of their people in the long term they need to say “no” more often to their own people and yes I know they take the heat for it when then do it. Welcome to politics, you are not always popular.

The other solution is a no brainer; raise the level of the weir to provide more water in the lake to be released as needed in the summer to keep the small fish growing in the river alive, support spawning in the fall and keep the water temperature down. The FN’s are perhaps the only ones with sufficient political power to push this through in light of the political clout of very powerful, wealthy lake front property owners who have been permitted to build on the flood plain like lake front and don’t want to be inconvenienced by having a higher water level in the summer impinging on “their property” even a little. They have a strong sense of entitlement and the clout to have our own politicians at all levels apparently afraid to take them on. Because of this a world class river in terms of fish will die and not only do the fish suffer but also the economic, cultural, social and quality of life benefit they provide to all. Once they are gone they are pretty much gone forever.

Let’s remember that it is man that has changed the environment over the last hundred and fifty years with logging and development etc. so that a number of our watersheds no longer have the same capacity to hold water and release it slowly over a long dry summer to support rivers like the Cowichan and of course there are other demands for the use of that water such as pulp mills and the related "jobs" mantra.

What you have here is a failure of political leadership and will on all sides and at all levels.

Very well written. Couldn't agree more.

You guys really should watch the documentary..... It sheds more light on what your saying...Let me see if I can find it... Here is the preview

[mwg1lHWru2U] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwg1lHWru2U

Had to drive by the Puntledge and Tsolum rivers to see if the rain had any effect yesterday. Tide was up so Condensery bridge was the place to check and there was an increase in the water level for sure. Enough so that it had attracted a few anglers to pursue the fish that were in there already. The river is still closed to salmon fishing so of course they were fishing for trout in the area that usually only has salmon :confused: Continued on to the single lane bridge on the Tsolum and it had a small increase in the trickle that was there, not nearly enough for salmon to make their way up. Needs to keep raining is the conclusion that I made for any significant flow to happen.

Had about 1in. of rain and it has helped but we need more at the Little River. Our spawners are not here yet so we have some time for more rain before they arrive. Checked the river this morning at the spots where we did restoration over the last couple of years. Amazing to see the difference of how it use to be and how it is now. We were able to do a few extra things this year because of the support from members on this site, thank you. Our river is mostly spring feed from the Quadra Aquifer and also from the water table that we have in the Comox Valley. Both have been going down due to the trends we see in the climate. Need more snow in the mountains so that it release it's water over the summer to recharge the system. We seem to be playing catch up as some years are good and some are bad. We just can't have to many bad years in a row as we raise Coho and they are 3 year olds when they return. Not much wiggle room to recover from a bad year. We will beat this thing as the support we have been given from the people here that see the problem and are willing to help.

Back