Radar mount.

Mighty Sylvan

I've decided to buy a radar. Do you guys buy a radar mount or is it cheaper to have one built and powder coated. It has to be a short pedestal with an anchor light.

Cheap online I think I got mine off eBay call around here firts I think it was 60 bucks. Sea star or sea scan its been a few years.

Radar mounts...

I've decided to buy a radar. Do you guys buy a radar mount or is it cheaper to have one built and powder coated. It has to be a short pedestal with an anchor light.

I see a Seaview with anchor light on Ebay for $150 & without anchor light for $100.
I have the 10" Seaview model without the anchor light... my anchor light has a separate screw in base...

Attachments

• Nahmint 2nd lettering pic.jpg
    Nahmint 2nd lettering pic.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 382
Can you not bolt direct to you roof top? I did that at my Grady and it works fine. Gives your less height issues to worry about when towing.

Thanks for the replies. I checked online and agree that $150 seems to be the price. I guess I don't need to put on a mount, but thought it just looks better up high.
Does the radar work any better raised up a little?

Thanks for the replies. I checked online and agree that $150 seems to be the price. I guess I don't need to put on a mount, but thought it just looks better up high.
It may work a little better, but more importantly, it moves the transmitter further away from your noggin and gets those microwaves a little higher for anyone at the stern. For my own system, the mount also allowed me to add a life raft cannister to the hard top.

The new broadband radar have no microwaves to worry about so can be mounted anywhere. The higher the radar the better the target acquisition is to a point. The trade off is trailering issues. If you look at my boat my radar is mounted directly in front of my flybridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever run into issues towing? I can't think of any spots that I might smack it. Gas stations all have lots of clearance. Don't they?

Have you ever run into issues towing? I can't think of any spots that I might smack it. Gas stations all have lots of clearance. Don't they?
No issues that way more tree branches. I think I need 13'6" if I remember right when sitting on the trailer.

Radar mounts...

There actually is an ideal angle that the dome can be set at. In that ideal position you will get the best advantage from your radar when your boat is travelling at cruising speed. The images on the monitor will be as defined as they can be & therefore easier to interpret. Of course, the range of the radar will increase as the height above the water is raised. The installation manual explains how the unit can be calibrated for the best results... which will also ensure that your radar data will overlap your gps data accurately. For safety reasons it is important that the 2 sets of data are synchronized.
Service tech for the various brands are usually available to do this setup for a reasonable $... I think I paid around $350 to have a service tech oversee the install of all of my electronics... location of wiring and other electronic units can interfere with one another.

Nahmint is correct.Get the manual that comes with unit.online .but don't read untill after install.It's more fun that way. Seriously height is very important.

Well I got the dome mounted and the new dash for the flush electronics built. Everything was going back together well except I couldn't find the small metric bolts to mount the displays. Everything is closed or didn't have them. Oh well, I'll get back to it Monday. I'll post pics when done.

Back