quinsum

R

rico

Heading up to elk falls to camp over the long weekend. Anyone know if you can still fish for pinks in the river? I am hoping that it is still going good. My kids love fishing so i am hoping that they can hook something and really enjoy it. They have never really caught anything yet.

Hey Rico

The fishing is awesome for pinks. Fish just above where the quinsam runs into the campbell river. Tie up a pink or oarange spin glow with pink yarn. It is working awesome

d.

just got back. it was a blast. My first time up there, and it sure won't be the last. The only down part was on my last night. There was a spot on the river where big springs were holding. I know that because i could see them rising and jumping once in a while. Anyways, i stayed clear from there because i knew if i hooked one it would bust all my stuff (6wt. fly rod), plus it is closed for spring retention so why bug them. A guy shows up with his buddies, all drinking beer, with gear set up to fish for chinook. Then, 1/2 hr later, he actually hooks one. He fights it for 30-40 mins, lands it and bonks the crap out of it! My jaw was left hanging after i watched that. He was across the river from me so i had a great view of this crap. He then goes back trying for more. He hooked another but lost it. Myself, and the guy beside me, were shocked at what we saw because the river is closed for chinook retention.

quote:Originally posted by rico

just got back. it was a blast. My first time up there, and it sure won't be the last. The only down part was on my last night. There was a spot on the river where big springs were holding. I know that because i could see them rising and jumping once in a while. Anyways, i stayed clear from there because i knew if i hooked one it would bust all my stuff (6wt. fly rod), plus it is closed for spring retention so why bug them. A guy shows up with his buddies, all drinking beer, with gear set up to fish for chinook. Then, 1/2 hr later, he actually hooks one. He fights it for 30-40 mins, lands it and bonks the crap out of it! My jaw was left hanging after i watched that. He was across the river from me so i had a great view of this crap. He then goes back trying for more. He hooked another but lost it. Myself, and the guy beside me, were shocked at what we saw because the river is closed for chinook retention.

I hope you phoned him in. I would have followed them and gotten their licence plate number.

Living the dream

I didn't have my cel phone with me on the river. But i did call it in when i left a half hour later. I had my kids with me and they were having a blast fighting the pinks so i couldn't leave. I was gonna say something, but there was 6 of 'em or so, drinkin', and i didn't feel like getting my head pounded in front of the kids. I'll tell you what i do have though. My wife was filming us playing a fish, and since they were directly across from us on the river, guess who is on video!

quote:Originally posted by rico

I didn't have my cel phone with me on the river. But i did call it in when i left a half hour later. I had my kids with me and they were having a blast fighting the pinks so i couldn't leave. I was gonna say something, but there was 6 of 'em or so, drinkin', and i didn't feel like getting my head pounded in front of the kids. I'll tell you what i do have though. My wife was filming us playing a fish, and since they were directly across from us on the river, guess who is on video!

I hear you. I wouldnt approach them either especially when you had your kids. Glad your kids had a blast.

Living the dream

Good on ya Rico, hope you follow up on those dipsh#ts. Guys like that should be "taken care of".

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

i doubt that there is much that can be done now, unless a local recognizes the guy in the video. I have been thinking about putting a video on youtube of the guy with the title 'poacher'.

I don't have the actual crime on tape. I just have him moving around in the background. I happen to be in the foreground, and i would hate to have people make a mistake and think that i am the poacher[:I]

When one of these as*sholes finally bonks the last one, I hope they're happy as they guffaw about it with the rest of their knuckle dragging buddies. I just don't get it. [xx(]

I was up on the quin on Sunday, me and my borther hooked a ton and bagged 7 <currently smoking>, Its a shame u couldnt get a call out when they were poaching, god help anyone who poaches in front of me and my brother 6v2 are bad odds... for them lol

There's still lots of pinks in the river, but most of them are falling apart now. All the fish are very dark and not worth taking even if you were able to. However I caught a couple on a 4wt with 6lb leader and wow was that a challenge to get them in!
Also watch out, there's at least 2 different black bear around...my wife just came back from a hike and has 2 different bears on camera, and one of them was acting fairly aggressively to anyone who got to close.
Oh and there's a couple signs up saying that for the last couple weeks a cougar has been sighted on and off. I haven't seen that around, quite frankly I'm more than happy not to.
Have fun.

Back