Quietest Kicker in the 9.9/15 High Thrust Category

I'm surprised Honda doesn't get more street cred from you guys...I have a 15 Hp Hi-Thrust----it hasn't missed a beat since the day I hung it on the transom and it runs as quiet or more so then any of the other options. The 9.9 Honda I had on my last boat was just as reliable and quiet---they just run and run and run....provided you do a bit of maintenance in between all that running....

I refer to draining the carb after EVERY outing (if she's going to sit for extended periods of time). Honda carbs have very fine (narrow) jets that can get fussy from fuel varnish. But Honda makes this an easy (and pollution-free) task------once you open the carb bowl stock-**** with the blade of a screw driver, the fuel conveniently drains out of the cowling through a feeder hose that exits right next to the pee-hole---you simply catch the gas in a clean container and dump it back into your tank (as opposed to Yamaha and Suzuki where the fuel drains down into the leg of the outboard and down into the water....at least the older ones did...)

Last but not least, the BF15 has a 12 Amp alternator-- when I run multiple HP Scotty' DR's + multiple transducers all day long, having that powerful charging capability gives peace of mind. And the BF15 offers an X-long shaft---the EFI Suzuki 15 Hp does not (or didn't when I was looking to repower a few years ago)

Good advice here - Went to the BF15 XL from Yam T9.9. Engine doesn't skip a beat - also never have to turn the main engine on to supplement batteries. The 12 amps of charging is a significant difference compare to the 6 amps of most other brands.

I had a 15 Honda with estimated 4000 plus hrs on it... I didn't notice the belt guide was worn, burned the belt, skipped the timing and bent a valve. 400 bux later and that motor is still going strong... quietest motor ever.

After much research I went with a high thrust yamaha 9.9 25 inch leg power tilt ,electric start ,tiller and very happy with it .
I went with it because of the reduced stern weight and big gear reduction which allows a big 11 inch prop.
You are limited to hull speed with a kicker so they will all be slow as they cant plane the boat so match your HP to the hull.
If you go to a hull speed calculator you will see the Hp. that is required for peak efficiency in my case 12-14 HP. was listed the 9.9 10 HP. is suggested to have the thrust of a 20 in their marketing.

the High Thrust 9.9 works for me I didn't have any issues in the wind at Nootka, the noise was OK it's smooth , guys like D Murphy who have had both can better compare them .
I got mine new with 5 year warranty for 3800. on sale
cons no oil filter ,6 Amp charge coil, but has not been an issue yet. It Ran everything for a week no issues

Last edited:
I had a 15 Honda with estimated 4000 plus hrs on it... I didn't notice the belt guide was worn, burned the belt, skipped the timing and bent a valve. 400 bux later and that motor is still going strong... quietest motor ever.
Have fished all the different kickers Honda wins for least amount of noise

Both hondas I had were great had a 3 Cyl 45 and a 5 kicker wouldn't hesitate going with a Honda again.
The 3 Yamahas I've had were also good. 30 and a F60
The guy's that have had several brands on the same boat won't steer you wrong, good advice.
Sounds like the Honda and Merc in 15 hp are both pretty good,
So far I like the light little T 9.9 ran all day on about 2 gallons never had any charge issues ,but I also have lower power demand 1106 Scotties

Back