Quick transducer question...

You could look at transducers just like speakers and make a judgement about them just based on power rating, but that gives very little indication of performance. The true measure of performance lies in the "Q" number... Because transducers are not just speakers, but must also be microphones.

An electrical signal generated by your head unit vibrates a piezo ceramic element inside the transducer, creating a sound wave through the water. Just like a bell, there is resonant vibration after the signal is dispersed through the water column. The lower the "Q" number, the faster "the bell stops ringing" this is important because Piezo electric element must "listen" for the return echo. The echo vibrates the element, which creates an electric signal, that the sounder module will interpret as fish and bottom contours on your display. Transducers with lower Q numbers generate a cleaner image, with less distortion and interference in the sonar image; you can then in turn increase the sensitivity setting on your display and make more efficient use of the energy your sonar is outputting..

The TM-150 has a very low Q number of 2 compared to 24-30 of the P-66. I would expect better definition and target separation for the TM-150 at shallow depths (ie identifying salmon around a bait ball, or fish suspended just off of bottom, and have less surface noise, but expect the p-66 to deal with plankton and algae blooms, and hold bottom in deeper water. Unfortunately I don't have a TM-150 to make the comparison..

Navico didn't publish any info on the software update re:chirp.. I just provided the link so that you could find and upgrade your software. The sonar hardware of the Gen2 Touch is from the Sonarhub, software just hadn't been enabled to run chirp in the units (maybe were already developing the Gen3 units upon the release of Gen2 Touch?). I run multiple transducers (swap them out for my own knowledge) P-66, B-744, B-260 and currently mounted a HST-WSBL to see what it does when chirped.. P-66 is the best bang for the buck if your going to take the time to tune your sounder.

I'm looking forward to the Simrad NSS Evo 3 with an M265-LH dual channel chirp I'm installing on a clients boat next week..
I just ordered the P66. See if I can get that tuned to tighten up my imaging. I called Navico today and the guy on the phone knew nothing about using Chirp on a Gen 2. I didn't feel like buying a transducer for upwards of $1000 and not getting it to work.

Thanks for all the input fellas...

Wise man just reminded me. 95% of my fish caught I haven't looked or seen **** on my current sounder.

I'm just gunna run the P66 and relax. Cheers Chuck..

I just ordered the P66. See if I can get that tuned to tighten up my imaging. I called Navico today and the guy on the phone knew nothing about using Chirp on a Gen 2. I didn't feel like buying a transducer for upwards of $1000 and not getting it to work.

Congrats on the purchase, I hope it works out well for ya.

If you'd like to see Chirp on your unit, I can bring the update by your boat and set it for you, no charge, by a Navico certified technician.

If you’re running a Gen2 Touch, you will now need the SonarHub to chirp. The chirp features on the software update have been removed.. I’d caution against running a TM-260 in chirp mode; a 1kw transducer generates a fair amount of heat as it is, chirp will generate more.

Back