Question about thru hull fittings

richmake

Got a call from a guy that was told that all his thru hull fittings below the water line had to be changed in order to pass his TC Inspection...
The current thru hull fittings are nylon but in good shape but TC say's they either have to be brass or stainless...
What's the deal and has anyone ever come across this problem...
I had my Grady inspected and nothing like this was ever mentioned....

I've heard this one before. Someone in Powell River with a brand new Bayliner was told he was going to have to replace all the nylon thru hulls with brass, his resposnse was to shut down his charter business....

Ive done a number of TC modifications now and have changed many thru hulls. Half of the plastic ones that I have changed i've removed with a single "tap" of a small hammer, I mean they broke off easily with no effort. I can see what may happen if one of these came in contact with a log or something the wrong way.. you'd take on a lot of water really fast. After seeing this, I would not even think twice about it. Most times theyre easy to change.
Dave.

Plastic ones yes will break very easy but the nylon ones are tough as you know what I have all brass on mine abd hate how they turn "green" all the time its just another thing they think up I honestly think they go hhhhhhmmmmm what can we change this week to **** off the guys some rules are good some are downright retarded as they are!!!!!!

Wolf

stainless ones are supprisingly cheaper. Also, its really hard to tell the difference between plastic ones and nylon simply by looking at them.

The lifters right,easy to change,and while you're at it add a ball valve shut off on anything below water line.
I replaced the head intake and out on a '78 boat that had plastic thru hulls with no shut-off valves.I used it for 8 years before a surveyor told me about it and required it to pass for insurance.
Three cheers for him,he might have saved my life,or the boats'.

quote:Originally posted by richmake
... have to be brass or stainless...
What's the deal and has anyone ever come across this problem...
I had my Grady inspected and nothing like this was ever mentioned....

Yes, all thru-hulls below the waterline must be bronze or stainless.

This is also required if you want to get insurance. When I bought my last two boats, that was one of the subjects - the seller had to replace them to meet the survey requirements.

Change them out....our industry doesn't need any accidents making the headlines because someone thought that by skirting the law or thinking that plastic or nylon would pass TC inspection.....the TC requiremnts are not going away...I've seen several boats over the years have thru-hull failures well moored and ended up in the drink....don't need that happening with clients onboard....twenty miles offshore or anywhere....it take a few hours and a couple hundred bucks....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

Change them out....our industry doesn't need any accidents making the headlines because someone thought that by skirting the law or thinking that plastic or nylon would pass TC inspection.....the TC requiremnts are not going away...I've seen several boats over the years have thru-hull failures well moored and ended up in the drink....don't need that happening with clients onboard....twenty miles offshore or anywhere....it take a few hours and a couple hundred bucks....

Just checked Pursuits website and couldn't find what type we have on our boat (i'm in ottawa so i can't exactly look at it either :p). If you have a Pursuit or know what they make theirs with that would be swell to know. We are getting inspected at the beginning of June so it'd be a good call to know if we need to change that.

Thanks guys...your input and help is always appreciated
David

I just raised my scuppers [thru hull]fittings in the back open above the water line the ship write got it checked with tc.and it fit requirments the fitting was nylon.

Cheers

It's not really the TC requirements that bother me, it's the massive inconsistencies on the application of the requirments that bothers me. One boat that passes in location A, fails in location B.

Also if they were going to implment the standards you think they would have informed the boat builders. New boats still are not being built to these standards. The boat builders I've talked to don't even seem to know what the standards are. The lifejackets issue is a great example, they mandate lifejackets but have no standards available for the manufacturers to build to for inflatables, so we see three year extensions on the old jackets while the manufacturers wait for the gov to tell them what standards they want them built too, meanwhile all of our coast guard, police force and emergency rescue force seem to be doing just fine with those that meet the US standards. Why reinvent the wheel and create a product that is going to be very expensive as it is being built and sold to a small market. This applies to boats as well, having to buy a brand new boat then start pumping thousands of dollars into getting it to pass Canadian standards is less than appealing. Either try to follow International standards or spend some money lobbying changes to the International standards before creating turmoil.

It would also be nice to see a "simplified" version of the construction standards of "common things to look for" when buying a used boat for commercial applications. Just being told to read the "Shipping Act" and the "Construction Standards" in there entirety is less than helpful for the layman.

Whew, feels better, haven't had a good rant in a few weeks.

Yes totally right SIR and if we have to follow all these rules how come it isnt like that for all boats I see some awfully scary boats out there sometimes guys in boats with a 60 chryler engine smoking up the bay and almost ready to sink but "WE" are the problem ask yourself when the last time a guide boat was in trouble and needed assistance?????? most of the time its the weekend warrior.(ill say sorry now if I have offened anyone)

I shake my head everytime I walk past the boat launch as every year a guy is scrathing his head wondering why his boat wont start as hes cursing saying this thing ran so great last year and now the battery is dead.

just like every thing in life make one ruke for EVERYONE!!!!!!

WOLF

MY RANT FOR THE DAY

you guys are right, the guide boats are in much better shape then most boats out there.

But change them out to stainless, it takes very little effort, is a lot safer and nothing looks worse then a $30,000 boat but the guy was too lazy to change out the cheap plastic fittings.

I had my stability test done last week, good for a laugh! Rule is, if you have not owned the boat for 5 years or it's newer than that, You must have proof of registration dating so, Otherwise you are required to do the STAB test. My boat was at 7 degree list based on cert test of 5 person total. You can have up to 12 degrees list and must have 37cm of freeboard with half of your max person capacity based at 70kg a person on one side. I to have been getting various suggestions to add an extra 10 pound near my engine?, not 10 BC fire ext on top of my other two 10 BC that are inspected each year. As well as a Fire Port in my engine cover. It appears as though each inspector has there own set of rules that change frequently. It is tough to argue!

The SVOP is just another pile of BS IMOP!

Borris is on the manhunt for inspections, calling up people from there websites, enforcing mandatory inspections.

Back