Quesnel Lake

Any tips for fishing Quesnel Lake? I have fished a fair bit for trout on small lakes but never anything so big and deep. I am curious where and how to start so I don't end up spinning my wheels getting started.

Elysia resort has some info buck tails, apexs and spoons would be the best bet!

I fish Quennell for Bass a lot and have seen one or two trout. One was a good size one but the looks of it was really muddy. If you are fishing for fun try for the trout in the channel that is furthest north east. What to do is an answer someone else would have to answer. if you are looking to catch trout to keep and eat I would suggest to try a cleanner lake as the water in Quennell is not the cleanest.

I fish Quennell for Bass a lot and have seen one or two trout. One was a good size one but the looks of it was really muddy. If you are fishing for fun try for the trout in the channel that is furthest north east. What to do is an answer someone else would have to answer. if you are looking to catch trout to keep and eat I would suggest to try a cleanner lake as the water in Quennell is not the cleanest.

He said Quesnel Lake, up near Quesnel, not the lake in Nanaimo.

I am sure folks will appreciate the advice for Quennell though!

fished a couple of years ago out of Elysia resort using their boats, fast sinking flylines with black articulated leaches worked very well, troll fast and faster was the ticket, close to the shore right by the resort.

Thanks Big Green. Never even noticed that. I never even noticed the way he spelt it and the way I did. good luck in Quesnel.

Thanks, I kind of figured I'd need to troll with the standards like an apex etc. I never thought of trolling with a fly rod and sinking line. I'll definitely try that.

fished a couple of years ago out of Elysia resort using their boats, fast sinking flylines with black articulated leaches worked very well, troll fast and faster was the ticket, close to the shore right by the resort.
yes troll fast and faster for rainbows.For lakers Apex,s are good, quite a few different colors work,Black/silver ( fav),watermelon,tiger,green.In front of any creek (obvious), by the point of peninsula bay is good, along the rock wall of quartz mountain is a good place to jig or troll .PS ,storms roll in fast keep an eye open.

Used to fish there for a few days just about every summer. Fishing can be fanatastic for big bows. We dragged big bucktails on a fast troll. Can go quite a while without a touch, but when it turns on, it can be one every few minutes.

Also, watch for them finning on the surface, when you see one chase it down. You can swing a fly right over them and they will take it...it's like hunting them.

Here's my biggest Quesnel Lake rainbow to date

n589431082_2963094_15068251[1].jpg

What a doozie! I might have to go try this bigger lake fishing. Maybe take the 22' double eagle over to the mainland for some freshwater action.

-KK

Also can be good Bull Trout fishing at the creek mouths and if you have downriggers, the lakers get enormous.

Quesnel is really one of the best fishing lakes around as far as I'm concerned.

Just got back from 4 days of fishing. Found lakers everywhere but only one tiny Rainbow. Lakers were 5-10# and 30-35' down with 4-5" flatfish and Apex's. Rainbows are still kicking my butt on this lake. Weather was really nice though.

Back