Quebec City Must Do List...

ReelSlim

Crew Member
Well this is a two part post. The first is a bit of a proud dad moment. My son's U13AA hockey team was highly ranked to start the year and followed through by taking the Provincial Championship a few weeks ago. A great end to an incredible regular season. They were invited to the International Pee Wee Hockey Tournament in Quebec City as one of 3 teams from Alberta that got in. Anyone that has had kids in competitive hockey knows about this tournament and what it means to get to play in it. That's the proud dad brag part of the post....sorry....lol That being said we will be leaving this week and spending 10 day's in Quebec City. Our time line is full but there will be some family downtime and looking for any suggestions of must see or do's while we are there. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• Prov1.jpg
    Prov1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 68
  • Champs.jpg
    Champs.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 66
Awesome stuff for those kids.

And well done to the parents takes lots of dedication from the parents to get and keep kids at this level.

As far as Quebec city goes, sorry no advice on that but best if luck to all the kids at the tournament, keep us posted please.

i think showing kids the old cobblestone streets and the old battlefield ( name escapes me) and impressing upon them the age of this corner of the world is kinda cool. also the harbour. there used to be a old sailing ship there called the Vespucci. really cool stuff. i was born south of Montreal right by the Maniwakee reserve where Gino Odjick is from.

Awesome stuff for those kids.

And well done to the parents takes lots of dedication from the parents to get and keep kids at this level.

As far as Quebec city goes, sorry no advice on that but best if luck to all the kids at the tournament, keep us posted please.

I definitely will. They will be in tough as they got placed in the "AA" Elite division but the director said that's where they need to be....They play 2 exhibition games before the tournament starts. One game against the Austrian Selects and one against the Philadelphia Flyers. The first actual game is against the host Quebec Nordiques team. the tournament director called our coach this week to give him the heads up that it's being advertised as the showcase game. Their first game in the tournament against the Alberta Champs. He then asked if the kids were comfortable playing in front of crowds? Of course our coach says "Well we had about 300 people for the Provincial finals" The guy laughs and says they are expecting 10 to12 Thousand people for the first game! lol Win or lose they will remember this forever....

i think showing kids the old cobblestone streets and the old battlefield ( name escapes me) and impressing upon them the age of this corner of the world is kinda cool. also the harbour. there used to be a old sailing ship there called the Vespucci. really cool stuff. i was born south of Montreal right by the Maniwakee reserve where Gino Odjick is from.

My daughter is looking forward to all the old streets and it was mentioned to me that you can even still see cannon balls stuck in the walls in places. Looking forward to seeing for sure.

Old Quebec City is an amazing bit of Canada - dates back to the 1600's ! Big Bruce is right: take a tour. My wife and I ate at a very cool restaurant with a window seat at knee-level with the passers-by.

Great city to wander around and very friendly, my French is poor to non existent but I never felt out of place. Tour the Plains of Abraham National Historic Park, a very important piece of Canadian History. Walk down or take the funicular to the lower historic part of town Incredible to feel the history. Lots of shops and excellent restaurants. Been there many times and always enjoyed myself. Most European and historic city in Canada IMO.

You know how the coaches like to have the kids run up stairs as a part of their dryland. Well there is a set of stairs that go from the St Lawrence up to the plains of Abraham. 398 stairs. There is also a wonderful aquarium. And for Pete's sake make sure they all get a dish of real poutine.

QC is a historic treat, battles were fought there, and the location and age of the buildings goes way back in history. Just driving there you will see these 3-400 year old churches up on the hills with stained glass glistening in the sun. In the main tourist area, they definitely speak English, and pre covid you just had to look at the license plates in the parking lot, lots of Americans come up especially from the eastern seaboard area, and the shop owners know to cater to non French speaking tourists. It is well known in the US as a wonderful, historic area. I loved it, wanted to stay longer, but we were there competing in a national event for Trials motorcycles in Port Neuf and had a tight schedule. Lucky you!

A quick update after a few days. We are staying at the Chateau Laurier which is less than a 100 yards from the Plains of Abraham museum. Lots of walking and exploring things near by so far. The team also went for a meal at the Sugar Shack and got to see the maple syrup process. Definitely like going back in time in Old Quebec. On the hockey front a 2-2 tie against Austria and a 4-2 win against Philly in exhibition. The first tournament game is tonight at the Videotron Arena against Quebec. Game on!

A quick update after a few days. We are staying at the Chateau Laurier which is less than a 100 yards from the Plains of Abraham museum. Lots of walking and exploring things near by so far. The team also went for a meal at the Sugar Shack and got to see the maple syrup process. Definitely like going back in time in Old Quebec. On the hockey front a 2-2 tie against Austria and a 4-2 win against Philly in exhibition. The first tournament game is tonight at the Videotron Arena against Quebec. Game on!

i bet some of the kids look to old to be on the other teams lol, whaaa some of the other teams took some of the best players and put them all on to one team I bet too lol

i’m curious if there was any memorial to Guy Lafleur in the tourney. He was the first real superstar that i seen. i’m too young to have seen Orr and Wayne was the next star. Lafleur back then when i was a boy, is what McDavid is to my kids now. a generational talent. seeing Lafleur streak down the wing was something to behold

i’m curious if there was any memorial to Guy Lafleur in the tourney. He was the first real superstar that i seen. i’m too young to have seen Orr and Wayne was the next star. Lafleur back then when i was a boy, is what McDavid is to my kids now. a generational talent. seeing Lafleur streak down the wing was something to behold
Honestly I thought there would of been something last night as well. They played the host Quebec Nordiques team and I expected to watch or see some sort of tribute but there wasn’t any. It was neat to see all those Nordique jerseys last night….even if they weren’t cheering for us! Lol. By the way…a 3-2 OT win against a strong host team. Next game is tonight. What an experience for the kids and parents.

Last edited:
Back