Quatsino Sound

Bobby

Spent last week with my buddy in Port Ncneill we did ok on the inside lots of coho and smaller springs.Decided to head to the west coast via Coal harbour was alitlle hesitant at first with the high and low tides and full moon last week.I have read some posts in regards to full moons and i really cant comment in a negative way at all.Our first day at Quatsino was monday the day of the full moon fishing was better than i could of ever imagined. From 6.30 in the morning till 2 in the afternoon the action was non stop. Between the 2 of us we could have limited out by 9.00 am easily instead of being greedy we played catch and release.
Day 2 west coast same places same results just a fishermans dream . Day 3 same place same results again , we couldnt believe it as we appeared to be the only people catching fish. Its pretty bad when a couple guide boats are following us around ,and we were more than happy to show them what we were doing to be succsessful. Day 4, 12 miles out for halibut 1 hr later on our way back in with our 40lb halis each. Last day of fishing so we thought what the heck lets go do a couple passes through the areas that have been so productive we talked to 2 boats that been out there when we had been out the other 3 days and they said it was very slow . That being said i decided to give it a go. Out goes the Flasher {purple haze} 15 pulls {18 in] off the back of the boat achovie rig {purple haze} shortend up the leader to 18 in and down 32 ft on the scotty.Thirty seconds later fish on a tail dancing coho peeling off the line , {released]. IN 45 min we hooked and lost 13 fish for those of you that were out there yes we were the guys in the 20ft burgundy habourcraft.All in all it was some of the best fishing i have ever experienced, reminded of the early 70s fishing with my dad at sangster rock at the tip of lasqetti island. So to you wise oldtimers were we just lucky? or did the moon and the tides play a role they were not supposed to? Normally i dont think i would post this but its a real fish story and for those of you wondering biggest fish was 46.23 lbs and he was full of shrimp.

coho or springs - pretty big difference. Either way sounds like an epic weekend, good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back