Purple Gas Vs Mid Grade Gas

F

fah cups

Hey anybody out there have any problems with purple marine gas? Its cheaper, yes I know, but do you find the dye fouls carbs or injector systems? Thanks for the replys in advance! Cheers Fah Cups.

Bought some purple gas in Port Alberni last year plugged everything up it was a disaster.All the filters had to be replaced.carbs had to be taken off and cleaned out....etc.I'm sure it was an isolated incident, Funny thing was it was the first time I used it instead of premium, Go figure.Oh yeah it wasn't cheap to fix it.DAN

I run marked midgrade haven't had a problem. I have a V6 inboard, and have put 1200-1500 litres through it this summer. Hopefully I wont have a problem either:)

Only time I have ever had problems with marine fuel is once at Bamfield and it had water in it. Never had any other problems. I run a 200 Evenrude 2 stroke.

Nice thing about marked gas is that it has a higher octane than regular unleaded and you don't pay the road tax, making it cheaper and I've never had any problem with it, I usually gas up at a station on land though.

I've always run marked gas. I have a 115 Evinrude 2 stroke and a 15 horse 4stroke. Never had any problems, but all fuel goes through a water fuel seperator.

Well in BC we all use UNISOL LIQUID RED BK-50 as the detergent additive in our marked gas. And FYI (and mine too) All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up. I'm thinking it doesn't matter, other than the price!

quote:Originally posted by explorer185

Nice thing about marked gas is that it has a higher octane than regular unleaded and you don't pay the road tax, making it cheaper and I've never had any problem with it, I usually gas up at a station on land though.

Great for 4 stroke engines. 2 Stroke engines 89 octane is the safe max. Higher octane 91+ contains more alcohol which washes the oil off the cylinder walls... the last thing you want

Great for 4 stroke engines. 2 Stroke engines 89 octane is the safe max. Higher octane 91+ contains more alcohol which washes the oil off the cylinder walls... the last thing you want
[/quote]

When you add the oil does it change the octane level?

I have had major trouble with marked gas, even though I have used it many times, only once was it a major issue. I discovered from Shell International, that tanks underground that have been there for many years, do build up sediment regardless of the quality of the gas. When a tanker comes to fill up the tanks, it disrupts this sediment. If you fill up shortly after a tank has been filled, you can expect problems with filtration. It takes a while for this sediment to settle again. I guess those who have had trouble, may possibly be a victim of timing. I do not think that marked gas will foul your engine, unless there is some outside circumstance factor involved.[8D]

I recently talked with a friend who used to own a service station. He said be careful of buying marine gas in the winter at locations that don't sell a lot of fuel, the fuel can get quite stale if its been sitting a long time.

I just read your post there beadhead,thats probably what happened cause there was also water mixed in with it.It was also a land gas station.It was a mess though!Just bought some racor filters for the new ride don't want that fuel injection screwed up.DAN

Back