Purchasing gear online

twinwinds

Does anyone purchase gear online? other than e-bay. I was just curious, I noticed some shops south of the border were a lot cheaper. shipping costs? if so where do you shop?

cheers

I buy alot of my parts through the net. from the states. Save a bundle! Especially with the dollar almost at par.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I buy tons of gear online each year from the states. I ship it to my parents winter home in AZ,then get it at Christmas or April when they come home. Shipping from the states can be a pain and some times the charges are killer.

I buy gear from a number of different sites. You have to be careful about shipping costs though. Most sites have a minimum cost to ship to Canada. If they ship by surface mail, the cost is usually about $7.50 US at a minimum. Not a bad cost if you are buying a number of articles. But if you are ordering a single article for low cost it can really affect your purchase price.

Allways look at their shipping rates before buying and stay away from the big courier/shippers such as Purolator or UPS. The big guys will ad an expediting fee that doesn't show until the parcel hits your door step. Quite often on small orders ($50 us and under) the expediting fee will exceed the shipping and purchase price. If you refuse it , you still pay for your goods but you don't receive them.

We order a lot of stuff from Sportco, Cabela's, LFS Marine Hardware, Daves Sport Shop in Lynden & Ted's Sport Centre. These places will ship via USPS which is very important to avoid "brokerage" charges imposed by couriers like UPS & Fed-Ex.You might still have to pay the HST, but only if your package is opened at customs. I have found that more often than not, the packages come straight through. I would like to spend more of my money here at home, but the simple facts are that these places have a far better selection of gear & at mostly better prices than up here. A couple of times a year, 3 or 4 of us will go down south to hit all these places & re-stock for the upcoming season. Here are a few links:

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/

http://www.tedssportscenter.com/

www.cabelas.com

Closest one is in Lacey, WA

http://www.sportco.com/

The store is SO much better than their website

http://www.davessports.com/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=1&Itemid=30

Hope all the links work....if not a google search should find what you need.

Nope. I buy all my gear from Derby. I like to support a friend and a local business

I also like to support local businesses when I can, and Derby he stands alone in what he does and what he offers. I could only wish that Derby had a shop down the street from me.

Now..I am not rich. Some of the local shops here in Courtenay charge more then double the cost of what I can buy online.

I have found great deals over the years on amazon.com

I also like to support local business but some gear you can't get up here and some stuff is just way cheaper down south/online.

I'm with all those who support local first and use the web as a back-up. When I do shop online I go to Bass-Pro, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain. Have only ever had one issue when some clown A-H### stole a shipment of tackle I was waiting for for a holiday trip. Kind of scre##d the trip. Bass-Pro replaced all the gear, but not until a month had gone by so they could insure it wouldn't get returned to them because of delivery issues.

The carrier that "Lost" all my gear was CanPar.[xx(]

Extinction is Forever

Purchased a few things online and (knock on wood) never had any problems. Gear was here in 2 weeks and shipping was dirt cheap. all the gear plus shipping was only $70 Ordered from Sportco.
spoons007.jpg

spoons002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and by the way, the packing paper they used in the box was from a Grocery flyer out of a local Newspaper and I was a little Sad to see that 30 pk's of Bud and Labatt's blue were only $19. Hmmmmm I wonder if they will send some Beer up for me?? Even with shipping it would be cheaper than what we pay up here! We need to sell beer in grocery stores here in canada...............lol

Oh and by the way, the packing paper they used in the box was from a Grocery flyer out of a local Newspaper and I was a little Sad to see that 30 pk's of Bud and Labatt's blue were only $19. Hmmmmm I wonder if they will send some Beer up for me?? Even with shipping it would be cheaper than what we pay up here! We need to sell beer in grocery stores here in canada...............lol

Just FYI, the reason CDN beer is so cheap in the states is because it is exported without all our taxes applied to the cost. Beer price is 2/3 taxes in BC, just like gasoline and smokes. The major part of the cost is because of our govts tax gouging.

Anyone that I know that want anything from Cabelas.com not .ca should speak up quickly. Tax,duty free and more then likley free shipping being that if it's really heavy shipping can't be free but it will be cheaper then any other route. I am going to place a order that will come back just after Christmas if its not to big, or March/April if its a larger item. I need to know ASAP. I am ordering Guide Wading Boots for $59 a pair.

I buy some stuff from here, a couple other hunting/fishing sites and down in the States. Our local store is so damn expensive, even on stuff that is 2-3 yo. They just keep changing the price to reflect the current prices. Plus their selection is not what it could be.

I do like Jim's in Hardy and Ideal in CR, but I shop around as my money only goes so far.....and after all it in my money.

Cheers

SS

Back