Puntledge Closure Notice

"Downstream of the BC Hydro diversion Dam (situated approximately 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) All Oct 03 - Oct 31, 2012 No fishing. FN0915"

From the Freshwater online regs, this pretty much sums it up. What's confusing is they've left the original Chum 2 per day limit posted, but it's overpowered by the new additional notice

Lazoman, yes, I get that part, but you are looking at the Non Tidal portion of the regs from DFO,I was referring to the Provincial Freshwater regs. I'm sure there might be people still trying to angle in that section of the river. Or maybe the tidal boundary will take care of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i gathered talking with DFO river is CLOSED from top to bottom as well as all tributarys when it does rain and river levels get back to where they should be or above average the river will open within a couple of days
so if you are dying to fish the beach or campbell river may be the options right now

a couple of douchebags tying to hook the few spawners up by Comox lk Dam this am, informed them that river was closed..waited till they packed up then left. Seems to be lots of fish in the river now, the tiny drop of rain we have had so far seems to bringing them home.

a couple of douchebags tying to hook the few spawners up by Comox lk Dam this am, informed them that river was closed..waited till they packed up then left. Seems to be lots of fish in the river now, the tiny drop of rain we have had so far seems to bringing them home.

Precisely why the Province needs to update the in season closures section of their online regs.

the regs do not say you cant fish from the comox lake dam down to the diversion dam.. if it is closed dfo should post notices at the parking lot dam.

I'm not really sure whats so hard to understand about this.
This is from the closure notice.
Salmon conservation measures are required in the Puntledge River and Courtenay
River due to extremely low water and a poor outlook for any appreciable rain
event in the near future.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours October 31, 2012, the Courtenay River
and the Puntledge River downstream of the BC Hydro Diversion Dam are closed to
angling until further notice.

This is from the provincial regs.
PUNTLEDGE RIVER 1-6 Closed all year downstream of the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) to the base of Stoltan Falls
(about 450 m below the Duncan Bay Mainline logging road bridge)
Closed all year between signs approx. 100 m upstream & downstream of the confluence
with Morrison Creek
Closed all year from signs at hatchery counting fence to signs approx. 75 m downstream of fence
All tributaries downstream of the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) closed all year
Fly fishing only above the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake), including tributaries

The whole river isn't closed, just the section from the diversion dam down, not too sure on whats hard to understand or why the pissing contest is happening here.
So unless someone is fishing gear in the upper section of the river you should probably leave them be, the trout fishing in that area would probably be pretty good right now, for a fly guy.
You should always be completely informed before telling someone how it is, because it can put you in a very uncomfortable position if they decide to challenge you because your in the wrong and won't back down.
I had a guy yelling at me just a week or so ago that the campbell was closed to retention of coho when in fact it is open to take 4, very ignorant dude that could have ended up in a bad way had he confronted me face to face.
Just saying.
It's great that there are so many people watching the river in it's time of need, but make sure your in the right.

I'm not really sure whats so hard to understand about this.
This is from the closure notice.
Salmon conservation measures are required in the Puntledge River and Courtenay
River due to extremely low water and a poor outlook for any appreciable rain
event in the near future.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours October 31, 2012, the Courtenay River
and the Puntledge River downstream of the BC Hydro Diversion Dam are closed to
angling until further notice.

This is from the provincial regs.
PUNTLEDGE RIVER 1-6 Closed all year downstream of the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) to the base of Stoltan Falls
(about 450 m below the Duncan Bay Mainline logging road bridge)
Closed all year between signs approx. 100 m upstream & downstream of the confluence
with Morrison Creek
Closed all year from signs at hatchery counting fence to signs approx. 75 m downstream of fence
All tributaries downstream of the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) closed all year
Fly fishing only above the BC Hydro diversion dam (about 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake), including tributaries

The whole river isn't closed, just the section from the diversion dam down, not too sure on whats hard to understand or why the pissing contest is happening here.
So unless someone is fishing gear in the upper section of the river you should probably leave them be, the trout fishing in that area would probably be pretty good right now, for a fly guy.
You should always be completely informed before telling someone how it is, because it can put you in a very uncomfortable position if they decide to challenge you because your in the wrong and won't back down.
I had a guy yelling at me just a week or so ago that the campbell was closed to retention of coho when in fact it is open to take 4, very ignorant dude that could have ended up in a bad way had he confronted me face to face.
Just saying.
It's great that there are so many people watching the river in it's time of need, but make sure your in the right.

Where is the tidal boundary on the Punt? Are there portions of the river below the diversion dam that would be considered freshwater and therefore to reduce confusion, have the Province get on board and list the angling closure? They've done it for the ECVI rivers that are closed.

There are some people who may only look at the freshwater regs.

The diversion dam is 3.5 k down from the lake dam, the tidal boundary I believe is at the mouth by the air park but i could be wrong.
Everything from the diversion dam down is freshwater, at the very least to where the tsolum enters near lewis park.
So more or less with the exception of the upper river open to fly, the river is closed.
I see what your saying about the freshwater regs needing updating, I guess it was only the salmon supplements that got updated and not the actual freshwater regs.

may look good but i wouldnt expect it to reopen anytime soon and when it does the fish most likelly wont be worth keeping

Back