Puntledge Closure Notice

Cuba Libre

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)
Subject: FN0915-RECREATIONAL - All Species - Region 1 - Courtenay and Puntledge Rivers - Fishing closures for salmon conservation

Salmon conservation measures are required in the Puntledge River and Courtenay
River due to extremely low water and a poor outlook for any appreciable rain
event in the near future.

Effective immediately until 23:59 hours October 31, 2012, the Courtenay River
and the Puntledge River downstream of the BC Hydro Diversion Dam are closed to
angling until further notice.

Variation Orders: 2012-386 and 2012-387.

Note that this is an ANGLING closure, not just a salmon closure

Puntledge and Courtenay River Closures

Thanks for puting up the notice. I was on a confrence call and couldn't get on here until now. The Variation Order and notice came out this morning.

Please remember, the Courtenay River is from the confluence of the Tsolum Rivers to Boundary signs in the estuary, near the air park.

I'm heading to the river to post the notices, remove those still fishing. 1st I have to notify the local media.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer,
Comox

How is the Campbell River doing in regards to temp and flow??

theres still dumb arses going fishing down there one was bragging to me that he caught and kept some last night

The mirror......

Sorry reaper I could not not swing at that floater... :D

I took the pootch to the courtenay side of the lake to the upper dam
There was people fishing and a guy in a pontoon boat fishing. I was suprised to see salmon that high up from the fish hatchery. Im not positive but i think the regs say no fishing below the hydro station.

Anyone gone down to the river to take a look? I have! Only there five minutes when two dudes turned up and intended to fish, even after I told them there was a closure in effect. They walked down to the river and was about to cast out when I called to them to smile because they were on camera. They only then decided it was not worth it and left.

Anyone gone down to the river to take a look? I have! Only there five minutes when two dudes turned up and intended to fish, even after I told them there was a closure in effect. They walked down to the river and was about to cast out when I called to them to smile because they were on camera. They only then decided it was not worth it and left.

What about those fishing for Trout? It's still open.

Nope.....this is a total "angling" closure not just salmon

see page 1 for notice at start of thread

And the Campbell isn't closed.

Thanks for correcting that, the closure dates were from a while back. I know the tidal regs say the Punt is closed but if they want people off the river entirely, it should also be mentioned in the freshwater regs too like the Nitinat and Cowie.

"Downstream of the BC Hydro diversion Dam (situated approximately 3.5 km downstream of Comox Lake) All Oct 03 - Oct 31, 2012 No fishing. FN0915"

From the Freshwater online regs, this pretty much sums it up. What's confusing is they've left the original Chum 2 per day limit posted, but it's overpowered by the new additional notice

Back