Public fishery

It was and still Might be fin donally. He sponsored lots of the petitions to stop gill nets and protect steelhead.
I think he has stated he will not seek re election. I just sent an email to the Conservative Critic with my complaints and asked what his parties policy is. I suggest as many people as possible do the same to all Parties.
Oops to slow on the keyboard
Let’s keep asking these guys for policy statements!

Didn't the last Conservative government say that all the fish science data was crap and ignored their own scientists?
As well as ignoring a huge expensive study on why the sockeye population in the Fraser collapsed a few cycles ago.
That didn't help our dwindling salmon stock.

It doesn't matter who holds the reins they just make legislation and rule in favour of which ever lobbyist group slips them the most cash!
And the Recreational fishermen can't compete with them.

Part of the problem, in fact a major part is the failure to get Public access to the fishery on any politicians radar. Other better organized groups continually beat their drums until they can no longer be ignored. We meekly assume that if the previous government did nothing positive, a change of government will magically reverse the trend, because they must be the polar opposite right?

This works out good for opposition parties who people just assume will do things differently when forming a government. Of course this isn’t always the case, the new government turns out to be pretty much the same as the previous one for the most part. Ignores back burner issues and addresses those grabbing attention

Why are our concerns ignored? Because they newly elected government and its individual MP’s were never forced to look at the issue we hold so dear, pronounce any kind of policy, support, or make any statements about it! To them it’s just white noise that like previous governments, can easily be ignored. No need for politicians to even get involved in choosing sides because none of them see it as an issue.

On the other hand, better organized groups have gained media support and forced politicians to address their issues. If the Liberals are for, the Conservatives are against, unless it’s an outright motherhood issue. How often have we watched this game play out. If you want to form government you better work with the vocal groups because they influence a lot of potential voters.

Unless we get a Party to truly commit to Public Fishery and see it as a means to garner votes, we will never be part of any political conversation. So I say we keep pressing all candidates and let them know we feel this is important and could sway our vote.

Remember ziggy our lobbying is done by volunteers and mostly done on the off season.

Second this is a hobby for most people. Lobbying and sending letter makes the hobby not fun. When the hobby is not fun people leave it and find other fun things to do.

Our industry sector is starved for cash, with no boats out, that means no one is buying gear.

Third people on this forum represent a small part of our industry. Lots of passionate people on here but not so out there.

Casual anglers make up the largest part of our industry and these people tend to be the hardest to get to be involved. They have lives after all and more more important things to do then fish.

For the casual angler these regulations are still very workable they can still plan there few trips a year in August when things are open.

Remember ziggy our lobbying is done by volunteers and mostly done on the off season.

Second this is a hobby for most people. Lobbying and sending letter makes the hobby not fun. When the hobby is not fun people leave it and find other fun things to do.

Our industry sector is starved for cash, with no boats out, that means no one is buying gear.

Third people on this forum represent a small part of our industry. Lots of passionate people on here but not so out there.

Casual anglers make up the largest part of our industry and these people tend to be the hardest to get to be involved. They have lives after all and more more important things to do then fish.

I get that it’s not fun to send letters, hell Im getting a little sick of it myself, but what are the realistic options to it. As you state our lobbying is done by volunteers in clubs etc with little or no funding. Sadly I also get what we are doing so far isn’t working and hasn’t worked for a long time. Time to try something different, or at least augment the work currently being done by volunteers.

If folks are too busy to write simple letters and demand politicians give them answers then I guess this battle is pretty much over? Clearly if true it isn’t that important to the casual Fisher, although I consider myself as one and its certainly important to me. How difficult is it to write a letter? Heck send one email and address a whole group! Anyone who posts on here has enough time to send an email! We don’t have money but we do votes and we need politicians to know we plan to use them.

While I believe you are talking about paid lobbyists and dependant industries I’m not. I’m talking more grassroots! Nothing says our different approaches can’t complement each other and help each other out. If PublicFishery numbers are in the hundreds of thousands, hopefully some at least will feel it important to let our politicians know.

You are absolutely right that the time is now to pressure parliament any way we can and letters are a huge part of that. Any more people that can get involved is an improvement.

There are people compiling petitions etc. and trying to get them heard. The beurocrats that run Ottawa couldn't care less which party is in power and that needs to change.
Gord Johns (Courtenay—Alberni)
2019-06-18 10:26 [p.29307]

Mr. Speaker, I am honoured to present two petitions today from residents of Union Bay, Royston, Cumberland and Courtenay.

In response to the question of where we find the position of the Conservative Party of Canada on sport fishing, it has not been easy to find..

You will find it on the CPC website in their recent position paper on the environment. Various statements supporting sport fishing appear throughout the document. Sorry I don't have the links.

I spoke with Mr Doherty MP, one of two MPs for Prince George at a recent event. Mr Doherty says sports fishing is very much on the radar of his constituents and the Conservative caucus.

We need to keep the pressure on.

Back