Prop Advice

Me too. My boat used to porpoise a bit at just below WOT. Mercury 115 two stroke. Best prop for mine was 13" x17p excellent hole shot and on plane in seconds . Still porpoised until I got a Doel Fin.

Owen I had a couple of friends had same problems...They put the dole fins on.... Made huge difference and no more porpoising...

Ok..... Here's something my Mercury prop came with and exhaust ring gasket to go below the prop. Not one of the Turning Point props have had a gasket in the box. But the Turning Point prop I had on my Yamaha came with a gasket and was needed.

Could this prop slip and lack of performance be caused by the lack of this gasket? Will know more Monday :)

Not to beat a dead horse but noticed your now considering a hydrofoil. Correct motor height first then prop. You cannot judge motor height based on the cav plate being even with the keel.

[_Pb5cGHikwc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pb5cGHikwc

It's not the prop. The engine is mounted too low.

Have a friend run the boat while you over the transom at the cab plate. It should be just at or slightly above the water...I bet you won't be able to see yours.

Had this issue with my Whaler when I bought the boat. The engine was mounted in the lowest possible position. The boat put the bow way high on holeshot, and porpoises very easily.

Raised the engine two sets of bolt holes. Porpoising dissappeared, hole shot didn't stick the bow in the air. Everything about the boats handling was better, including top speed. Best part is it's free....just a bit of work.

The DF140a I installed last year is one set of bolt holes from the highest possible mounting height. The boat jumps on plane, no cavitation in turns, won't porpoise no matter how hard I try.

My install is on a standard transom...if on any sort of setback bracket, the engine will have to be even higher.

Back