Project Ocean Smasher

Nice project, I'm sure you will get alot of comments. I pictured twin rude 300hp G2'S on the back with a 25hp kicker. Buddy has a 30' Grady marlin with twin 250hp ox66 on the back and it rides nice.

Mike
My Ocean Master cruises @ 26 knots and gets about 1.5 miles per us gallon with 5 guys and 100 us gallons onboard, that is with the older 3.3 liter f225 running 17" sws yamaha props. If I were to re power I would go with the older model 3.3 liter f250 which Yammaha still builds, not the 4.2 liter version. Another option would be the I4 200 zukes with there much lighter weight and ability to run a larger diameter prop I would think performance would similar to my 225's but better fuel economy.

Oceanmaster, why not the new 4.2 L version? Why do you favor the older model 3.3 L version?

Too many failures in the 4.2, thrust bearings primarily. At least 5 in the charter fleet at Renfrew in last 2 years. Plus the 4.2 doesn't have steel cylinder liners the block can't be bored or honed.

Oceanmaster how do you find the weight of the 4 strokes on the back of your boat. I do have access to pairs of low hour 225 and 300 verado's but I was thinking that adding 1400# to the transom of this hull would change is characteristics. I understand that the scupper height can be a problem with lots of weight hanging off the back. The fuel numbers that you have posted up seem reasonable for a boat of this size. For us outboards are not completely off the table. We will see, thanks for all the info.

Oceanmaster how do you find the weight of the 4 strokes on the back of your boat. I do have access to pairs of low hour 225 and 300 verado's but I was thinking that adding 1400# to the transom of this hull would change is characteristics. I understand that the scupper height can be a problem with lots of weight hanging off the back. The fuel numbers that you have posted up seem reasonable for a boat of this size. For us outboards are not completely off the table. We will see, thanks for all the info.

Theres no way I would go outboards. 20-30,000 hours on a diesel vs outboard life?for the same sort of money? Thats my two cents.

A floatation bracket would float the engines and take care of the static trim issue of heavy 4-strokes. the pilothouse/cabin configuration is going to add a fair bit of weight forward so you wouldn't likely have a problem balancing them. I think the newer Ocean Masters use a Stainless Marine floatation bracket, lots seem to be rigged with etecs but the weight difference isn't really that substantial. But it does add an extra 30" to your LOA.

20-30,000 hrs would be nice but not realistic out of the new high speed diesels. I would hope for 3-5000 hrs before rebuild. I talked to mark the owner of ocean master and they build a fiberglass bracket for hanging heavy 4 strokes but that's not the way I want to go.

20-30,000 hrs would be nice but not realistic out of the new high speed diesels. I would hope for 3-5000 hrs before rebuild. I talked to mark the owner of ocean master and they build a fiberglass bracket for hanging heavy 4 strokes but that's not the way I want to go.

I have a electronic controlled 8.1 liter john deere 375hp. 14,000 hours and going strong. No excessive blow by, doesnt burn oil yet. I wouldnt buy any diesel that only gets 3-5000 hours.

I have a electronic controlled 8.1 liter john deere 375hp. 14,000 hours and going strong. No excessive blow by, doesnt burn oil yet. I wouldnt buy any diesel that only gets 3-5000 hours.

Yeah, a 6.7l 480hp diesel will never see that many hours. Especially in a rec application. It will likely rot before it wears out though, unless you're putting 1000+ a year on it. A decent rec season is what? 300-400hrs. Should get 15ish seasons out of one I'd think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weight of the 4 strokes doesn't seem to be an issue scuppers are about 2" off the waterline however we do get some water on the deck back trolling in the slop. The vrods are only about 70lbs heavier each I don't think u would have an issue......just leave the beer on the dock!

It wont be anywhere near 100. We would like to do this project as cash allows and it would be hard to get the lump sum of cake for a newish boat purchase. The problem with production boats it that construction is somewhat suspect and slapped together. This allows us to build it exactly how we want it. The lions share of the work on this project will be building the superstructure which will just be foam, glass and epoxy....cost somewhere between 5-7K We have a very good friend who paints boats commercially so that is sorted out. All required paint products will be in the 3-4K range. As for power we have been researching diesel VS outboards and I will must say all the outboard guys were right cost of ownership is much lower with the OB's. The largest cost on a boat build is peoples time so if we value our time at $2.00 and hour we should be ok.....hehehe.

It wont be anywhere near 100. We would like to do this project as cash allows and it would be hard to get the lump sum of cake for a newish boat purchase. The problem with production boats it that construction is somewhat suspect and slapped together. This allows us to build it exactly how we want it. The lions share of the work on this project will be building the superstructure which will just be foam, glass and epoxy....cost somewhere between 5-7K We have a very good friend who paints boats commercially so that is sorted out. All required paint products will be in the 3-4K range. As for power we have been researching diesel VS outboards and I will must say all the outboard guys were right cost of ownership is much lower with the OB's. The largest cost on a boat build is peoples time so if we value our time at $2.00 and hour we should be ok.....hehehe.

$2 an hour sounds high

I love the pictures, the guy all excited and the girl thinking you guys are completely insane.

Will be interesting to watch this unfold. Cool project.

Its going to be built into an pilot house sport fisher....so there will be a lot of glass work going on there.

Back