Project boat

Looks like a rewarding project!

Sorry to jump in on your thread powerplant, but I'm curious about how the modern boats are constructed. There is no wood in modern fibreglass boats, so how are the stringers and floors constructed? I need to repair my floor, and was wondering if replacing with no wood is a viable option.

quote:Originally posted by Backatit

Looks like a rewarding project!

Sorry to jump in on your thread powerplant, but I'm curious about how the modern boats are constructed. There is no wood in modern fibreglass boats, so how are the stringers and floors constructed? I need to repair my floor, and was wondering if replacing with no wood is a viable option.

There are a million things you can make that are basicly just resin and fillers of some sort. Some boats use what are called a top-hat stringer which is essentialy a fiberglass square tube glassed to the floor. For doing it yourself, I think you will find the cost prohibative as any of these wood-free meathods are cost prohibative. Plywood and good old glass roving are cheap, easy to find, easy to work with, and if done right will last a long time.

Update with new pics Powerplant?

Originally posted by GLG

Update with new pics Powerplant?

[

/quote]I hope to get back at it this week. I've had a bit of a problem with work the last two weeks,the problem was I had to show up for work.

Got a chance to get a little more done. The pod is complete ready for paint, and the hull is about 75% stripped. I've started work on a new bow hatch.

boatproject026.jpg
boatproject027.jpg

The existing hatch is nicely framed with 2x4 and a little caulking. I've cut out for the new frame.

boatproject028.jpg
boatproject029.jpg

The new frame set in place. I can't decide on windshield design, hardtop or softop or ? Any ideas ?

I am very impressed with the skill and knowledge you have shown us on this project , makes some of my past efforts look punky to say the least !
Well done !
I think you should go with a hard top as it will last longer and also be available to mount things on and to be easier to change or adapt than monkeying around with a soft top and tube frames etc.

Cheers

AL

I agree w/ Al hardtop is the way to go. I've also seen the boat locally, did Ya know there is a marine sales/repair on Idlemore Rd, right close by?[:p] You need POWER too..[}:)]

nice job!ive got a broken deck hatch.read chubby sister in law, stepped on it and cause my boat is old replacement parts are hard to come by. looks like i will be takin up some carpentry. good at the glass stuff though. repaired lots of broken western star hoods and fenders. looks like a good winter project...

quote:Originally posted by HALILLAMA

I agree w/ Al hardtop is the way to go. I've also seen the boat locally, did Ya know there is a marine sales/repair on Idlemore Rd, right close by?[:p] You need POWER too..[}:)]

I know the place, went in to look around a while back and spoke to a nice young fellow. He said he could set me up for power at a really good price.:D I'll have to go back and see him when I'm ready.

boatproject017.jpg

boatproject030.jpg

boatproject031.jpg

A little more progress this week. Started on the cuddy, its just large enough for anchor and beverage storage. I'll put a lockable door on it for just a little security. Pulled all the rails and cleats off. The rails were installed with plastic plugs and screws, no sealant anywhere. Made up a template for the windshield, thats for next week.

Powerplant
Why not reuse/modify your old hardtop?
From the pictures it looks like a nice setup.
GLG

I thought of reusing the existing top, when I had a close look at it I noticed that over the years it had saged in the centre allowing rainwater to pond on the top. I decided that it would take more time to repair than to rebuild. I'm thinking of forward sloping windshield, 5' sides with a hardtop that stretches back another 3' with 6' headroom. Can you picture it[?]

scratches head , hmmmmmmmmmmm . what if you use the windows with the frames make a new fiberglass top ,stop the top about where the window on the old top kicked up. then you would have a nice big cabin and a really big open fishing deck would be sweet without that big bump the old power made in the fishing deck bigger fishing area = better as far as i think. just my 2 cents .

I for one am enjoying this post glad to see some one else who has vision. Put many hard working days into MyEscape after dragging her out of someone elses barn great boat and produces fish but my next project will be 20 to 24' so am soaking it up like a sponge..... LOL

Your building a nice ride....

Cheers ME

I'm clear now but 6' headroom is a bit short.
I would add 2-3 maybe 4 more inches.
Not sure but most newer boats feel like 6'4" in them.
Mine is a soft top made for someone shorter.
I have to duck down, as do most of my friends.
Can't standup straight, have to sit down.
That's just my 2 cents.
GLG

Back