Project boat shelter

23Hourston

20170110_142256.jpeg Project boat shelter
The plan build a boat shelter for free
Or close to it.
Stock piled materials to date
14 x 12.5 ft high old steel light poles. 3 inch wide at top 8x8 foot. Have access to anther dozen or so..
4 16 ft 2x10s will be ripped in half. These will be used lateral to tie poles together via bolts. Same as you would see a Canadian tire type of shelter.
Thinking this shelter could be free standing or dig holes fill with concrete and bolt feet. I think I have enough stuff to do two of these or close to it.
Here's where I need some more thought on

The trusses.. how and what do I use for trusses. Thought maybe 2 inch pvc pipe. Bent over from pole to pole. But open to better more permanent ideas.
Also I don't want to rent and equipment to build this.
Would be using a tarp for roofing.
Anther issue no sure of hight of boat while on trailer. Ya pretty important factor on truss design. Anyway
..truss design
..how to erect.
Any ideas greatly appreciate it

I guess the most important question is how far apart are the posts going to be. Just trying to figure out the maximum span for the trusses. Are you opposed to building your own trusses out of dimensional lumber? Do you have a source for 2x4 lumber at a reasonable cost or free? I could whip up some plans for trusses that you could build out of dimensional lumber (2x4's etc) just need the dimensions.

Oly

Thinking 12 wide
How would the wood trusses attach to poles.
Tarp would drape down sides but guess I could use one tarp for roof and others for sides total length of shelter 30 ft.
I would have to pay for wood 2x4 but could sell some extra poles I have. Wonder if there's a market for them

If you cemented the posts upside down you could bolt the 2x10" to the base and build your trusses and nail it off of that or if you can weld build some brackets to hold the trusses.

I had a shelter that lasted for years. It was still up when I left.

Cosco tent frame or any decent pole shelter, scraps will work, Usually u can find just the frame in someones yard after the tarp has rotted off.
Mark the legs 6 inches from the end
Fill 5 gallon bucket with concrete.
Place poles in bucket up to line on pole
You now have an anchored leg with extra hight.
put frame together.
Find scrap 1/4 inch ply wood
place end to end with a 2 inch gap
in 3 places along the edge of each plywood drill small holes 2 inches in from edge spaced evenly
using rope or wire or what ever, tie between both pieces of plywood in all 3 places maintaining the gap
place the plywood over the ridge pole so the ridge pole goes in the gap. Using tie wire tie edge of plywood to pole frame.
if required cut the extra length of the plywood off at the edge.
Repeat this until the roof is covered with plywood.
Stand 1/4 inch plywood on side edge around the outside, tie to legs with tie wire. Sitting on top of buckets.
This should leave a large gap between top side edge of plywood, letting in light
Cover roof with tarp, staple to plywood, bring down the tarp on the sides so it goes over side walls enough to staple to plywood and over the gaps on the sides.
Wrap walls in tarp, staple
All I ever did was throw another tarp over the existing one when it rotted out. Last forever, with stood snow, and big wind.

Good morning here a pic of the end
Yes I do have a welder
I'm thinking to erect the structure I need the truss attached to the two posts before I stand it into place. Pulling it up with ropes. Much like one would stand a framed wall.
The trusses would have to be solid to the posts so I wouldn't think pvc pipe would work..

just remember... white pvc pipe is not UV stable.. it will get brittle and CRACK!

Back