Probably time to stop eating Tuna...

Looks like there's going to be yet another extinction.

Big Tuna are now drastically over-fished to the point that it may already be to late for conservation measures (which there are none at this time). The dozens of countries that harvest the migratory Tuna will not agree on a Total Allowable catch. Scientiest agree that there are maybe 15% of the pre-fishing numbers left in the ocean.

Quote from Wikipedia:
''Overfishing continues despite repeated warnings. In 2007, researchers from the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT)—the regulators of Northern bluefin fishing—recommended a global quota of 15,000 tonnes (15,000 LT; 17,000 ST). ICCAT then chose twice that number, later dropping it to 22,500 tonnes (22,100 LT; 24,800 ST). Their scientists now say that 7,500 tonnes (7,400 LT; 8,300 ST) is the sustainable limit. In November, 2009 ICCAT set the 2010 quota at 13,500 tonnes (13,300 LT; 14,900 ST) and said that if stocks were not rebuilt by 2022 it would consider closing some areas. The fishing industry continues to harvest 60,000 tonnes (59,000 LT; 66,000 ST) tons yearly.''

I eat Tuna as often as I can-the ones under threat of extinction are Atlantic Bluefin-which I've never seen for sale here.

yes the tuna we get is albacore - its blue fin which are in the news all the time

pacific bluefin, pacific bigeye tuna are the ones that people should stay away from. albacore seems to be one of the only healthy stocks left for now. Pretty well all the Atlantic tuna are endangered. the problem is over fishing with little or no international regulations that are adhered to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back