Prawning near vancouver

staying alive

Anyone out there want to tell a guy where to try prawning near Vancouver ,havent winterized the boat yet and want to give it a try
Have 2 traps and 200' of leaded line (probably need 300) tried it once up indian arm with the wife and made a big production of it and pulled up 1 prawn so I dont need many to break my record.
Want to drop them and then go troll for winter springs, any ideas

Merry Christmas to all

When were you going out. I don't mind heading out as I have not been on the water since I came back from hardy. I have 12 traps and lots of line lol and know a few spots. My boat is winterized and so are my bros and buds.

Sorry CCB I have a boatfull that want to go. But thanks for the offer will take you up on that another time especially if I only get 2

thanks dogbreath --------how much weight do you add on each trap , if I put 2 traps on a line do I just put weight on the first one ?

thanks dogbreath --------how much weight do you add on each trap , if I put 2 traps on a line do I just put weight on the first one ?

No worries, north end of Bowen is far to just lay 2 traps unless you launch close. 3lbs per trap then a 5 lb ball 10 feet in front of the first trap so when your float bounces with waves and wind it just lifts your 5lb ball with no trap movement.

The weight is to hold the pot steady against the pull on the line from the current and the floats so if you put two pots on one line, the first one to touch doesn't need much weight but the second one does. Depending on current 15-20lbs is usually sufficient. AND/OR as CCB mentions put a heavier weight on the line up in front of the trap.

Thanks guys some good tips there , guess I need to spend some more money, I plan on using one of those anchor retrieval gadgets on a approx. 15"scottsman to pull everything up is that a good idea or are 2 traps going to be too heavy for it

i used to use the floating anchor and pulley all the time,, just takes some practice,, 280' out tho in front of west bay.. gambier..

Thanks guys some good tips there , guess I need to spend some more money, I plan on using one of those anchor retrieval gadgets on a approx. 15"scottsman to pull everything up is that a good idea or are 2 traps going to be too heavy for it

I would not use that for traps if your trap gets caught up you could lose it or cause damage if you have never done it before and I am not sure if you can pull it up off the ground first then use the scotchmen. I have a use but with brand new motor fusion king puller for sale. Plus all the weights you need for traps. If your only lifting 2 traps just maybe pull them by hand with a Scotty wheel. Need gloves though and it's a good arm workout.

I would not use that for traps if your trap gets caught up you could lose it or cause damage if you have never done it before and I am not sure if you can pull it up off the ground first then use the scotchmen......

A board member from Campbell River first showed me how effective those anchor systems are for retrieving Prawn traps and after that I got a job selling tackle and moved dozens & dozens of them never had a complaint from anyone ever.

They are really only effective with a certain range of rope diameter can't recall the details you can phone Ironwood Pacific or whoever if the shop doesn't know.

try tunstal bay of the west side of bowen drop the traps closer to whiirlcomb and fish the sandy flats of the east side closer to bowen for winter springs. Use gear that has colours of a pile pearch as apperantly that is what they are feeeding on down there.

I am going to give the anchor retrival system a whirl --- dont know If I have room for a prawn puller --- I have enough stuff on the boat already ---- looks like 1/2 line would work best in the anchor retrival fitting but the leaded line is 3/8 --its like a line grap on a safety rope---might just have to make sure its engaged before slacking off the tension --- sounds like it will be a little exciting

Be aware there is a prawn closure in area 28-1 starting January 1st, until March 31st. This covers the areas which have been discussed above.

Back