Prawning nanaimo-gabriola

also can someone explain this soaking pellets over night thing, i have no clue how that works because i thought that when you put half a bait jar of pellets they expand and when they expand they give off sent, so i would of thought that soaking them over night would waste all the sent?

i haven't tried it yet as i am total rookie prawner but i was told that soaking the pellets in water over nite helps them to release easier as they are hard little nuggets , was also told to only fill baitcups to 70% so they have some room to slosh around, think i only paid about 9 bucks a box at sharecare but dont quote me on that one. 15 bucks is too much.:p

I've always dropped traps out around gabriola but never really tested the waters right out front. I've seen traps at snake, and between fingers and neck pt. can anybody weigh in on weather it's worth it to try any of these areas?

also can someone explain this soaking pellets over night thing, i have no clue how that works because i thought that when you put half a bait jar of pellets they expand and when they expand they give off sent, so i would of thought that soaking them over night would waste all the sent?

I mix pellets, carlyle catfood, anchovie oil and liquid fish fertilizer in a big bucket and let it all soak overnight.

So seems the prawning is getting better, went and did a 2&1/2 hoe soak and got about 300. They're all pretty big too, hopefully have the freezer full in a month. Did you get the traps in tonight Jeffywestcoast?image.jpg

I am a Saanich Inlet prawner with experience on old recycled commercial traps (catches only a few very large prawns due to stretched netting), newer stainless style net traps ( lets the little ones through but catches decent med and large prawns ), and the rubberized box traps from Sleggs made by one of their employees ( has best catch rates, but tonnes of smaller prawns that you should return to the ocean after picking out the medium and large prawns ). Box traps are like the pied piper. The little ones walk in and stay there, glowing, calling the rest of them in. These traps also have 4 entrances allowing easy access for them. They don't waste time on short soaks. They are easier to empty too as the prawns slide to the corner when you tip the trap. The key with these traps is to make sure you take a conservation approach and return the smaller prawns to grow and breed. The commercial traps are designed to let the little ones escape through the mesh. Recreational fishers should make sure to return them as well when using the box traps.

Thanks, ya it was. Back to back 300's on the last 2 trips. Does anybody have any thoughts on weighing down your traps? I've noticed that I I do a lot better when the water is calm. Would the best option be to weigh the traps or the line?

I use 1/4'' chain around the bottom of 28" round stackable traps, 2 per string spaced about 30' then a 10lb wieght 30' after the traps. I fish in current somtimes with heavy wave action.

I've been thinking of adding a few rods of rebar to my round traps so that they land on the bottom with the big ring first. They always have mud on the small ring (top) when I pull them up so I know they're constantly landing upside down and I bet they'd produce more if they were upright. I never thought of adding chain to it! I'll give that a shot this weekend on one of them to see if it pulls in any more than a trap w/o it on the same string. Also, I've never messed around with the bait. Always a bit of pellets and some Carlysle on top. Pretty consistent.

i use a zapstrap and put a 1 lb weight in each trap , then a 5 lb cannon ball on a scotty clip about 20 feet in front of the traps then also a 8 ounce weight 15 feet for the bouy, theory is the swell only lifts the 5lber up and down a bit leaving the traps still on the bottom, but by the looks of it i should be getting the prawning tips from you :p

i use a zapstrap and put a 1 lb weight in each trap , then a 5 lb cannon ball on a scotty clip about 20 feet in front of the traps then also a 8 ounce weight 15 feet for the bouy, theory is the swell only lifts the 5lber up and down a bit leaving the traps still on the bottom, but by the looks of it i should be getting the prawning tips from you :p

You have got it down now buddy. That all sounds awesome. I haven't done the 5 lb. ball thing but will start doing it this fall and winter when the prawning is awesome. Cool to see you guys hitting it already. Are you around that time of year or working? On your day's off we can get out there for sure. I love running the boat all year because she likes it lol. I have a nice heated cabin too just as a reminder:cool:.

Haven't had much luck so far due to not getting out and having motor issues, looks like back to work mid sept,could use some fish and maybe a prawn or two, might get out sunday with the chipstealer.. will have to see, the reports on the prawning out front and off gabe are off the hook right now! by the looks of it they are off the north side of Gabe, were onto you now islander55 !

Looks like ladysmith to me but that's purely guessing...I've got the hot spot in the calm but haven't faired so well in the wind, so I'm definitely going to try the weight on the line next time it's ugly out there. Can anybody tell me what the "hot" winter prawning is about? Are there more prawns? Or are they just bigger? I've only started prawning a month ago so I haven't experienced a winter yet.

Prawning is supposed to be better in the winter because there is zero pressure from commercial prawners, they only have a two month widow for prawning. i have herd of good numbers down around ladysmith-thetis island area, but there are closures coming up for pulse fishing, somebody else with have to elaborate on what the hell that is all about. im not sure but it closes down the prawning.

Weight in traps

Prawning is supposed to be better in the winter because there is zero pressure from commercial prawners, they only have a two month widow for prawning. i have herd of good numbers down around ladysmith-thetis island area, but there are closures coming up for pulse fishing, somebody else with have to elaborate on what the hell that is all about. im not sure but it closes down the prawning.
Notice in choppy weather that trap closes to float does the poorest. Someone told me if the trap is moving up and down from wave action it will scare prawns away. Started putting a 5 or 7 pound lead weight about 10 feet in front of trap to stop it from moving on rougher days. Seems to work but a lot harder on puller.

I tied a 10lb dumbell 50 feet up my line... Was hard on my arms for a few months, but now it's just hard on the prawn puller :cool:

Back