Prawning accessible from Brechin launch Nanaimo?

Blango89

I’m just rocking a 14ft tinner with a 25 horse, so don’t want to get too far out there annd need to be very mindful of the weather. Any prawns that are easily accessible from brechin? So far I’ve tried around Snake island and finger islands, with no luck at all. Maybe just not landing them in the right spot? Both times were in 220-280ft of water with pellets soaked overnight in juice, and some yum yum. Landed near the bottom of a drop off with weighted traps and a 3 pound weight after the traps.

Any suggestions? Not looking for any secret spots. Just wondering if I’m wasting my time out there .

Thanks!

you want to a little deeper in the 350-430 range from my experience those areas you mentioned will produce you could also try straight out from the Charlane Boat ramp since you have a smaller boat. I would caution you from leaving your traps out overnight as it theft is an issue. Also put some weights on your line or in your trap to ensure they rest on the bottom. Commercial season will be starting in the beginning of May so get out before then.

I’m just rocking a 14ft tinner with a 25 horse, so don’t want to get too far out there annd need to be very mindful of the weather. Any prawns that are easily accessible from brechin? So far I’ve tried around Snake island and finger islands, with no luck at all. Maybe just not landing them in the right spot? Both times were in 220-280ft of water with pellets soaked overnight in juice, and some yum yum. Landed near the bottom of a drop off with weighted traps and a 3 pound weight after the traps.

Any suggestions? Not looking for any secret spots. Just wondering if I’m wasting my time out there .

Thanks!
Try dropping at 300, an hour or two before a tide change. Then go fish that slack. Pull the traps after 2-3 hours, if there's nothing much then go 25-30 ft shallower or deeper. Bracket the depths in the same place from 250-350 ft before concluding the location isnt good. Keep notes and don't change more than one thing at a time or you won't know what made the difference.

Back