prawn trap pullers

Ace uses a DC drive. If you are thinking of building one, search the site here and there is a lot of good info. I use a T1500 winch motor on mine and it works great.

i have the ace line hauler and it is worth every penny. the only improvement i could recommend would be a two speed gear box for pulling up that 400 feet of line.

I had almost purchased an Ace hauler, but after two out of the three people I know who have them needed to have the arm reinforced after bending with a single trap in larger swells, and the other burning out his motor after one seasons use, I decided to go with a KingPower hauler.

The construction is stronger and all stainless steel. It also really hauls the load well. I use two commercial traps on a string set at 300-400', and have had no problem bringing it in, even in rough seas.

The price is alittle higher than the Ace, but if you catch it on sale as I did, it was only $50 more than the Ace.

The newer white square tube Ace frames are pretty indestructable but the issue with the Chinese DC motors still exists. The challenges with burnt out motors and snapped motor drive shafts are why so many folks on this board have built their own pullers using beefier winch motors as the power source.

I havn't had any problems nock on wood... the one I have is white tubed and supposed to have a new updated motor...we will see

quote:Originally posted by Kisinana

Ace uses a DC drive. If you are thinking of building one, search the site here and there is a lot of good info. I use a T1500 winch motor on mine and it works great.
Kisinana,

I read through your detailed instructions in a previous post, but had trouble following. Do you have any pictures like the one BlueOrca posted?

Also, I've been unable to find a place in the LM or Fraser Valley where I can get the 14" nylon wheel. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

TIA.

LL

I have a white Ace with the two piece boom and really like it. I pull at least two often 3 and sometimes 4 sets with one 2ft and one 18" commercial trap (with a 5 lb weight), typically from 300ft. I've had it a year and had to pull in some pretty rough seas off Nanaimo and Namint Bay. Never even quivered (yet) when. The motor on this one is quite a bit bigger than my old puller which was home made with a motor off an older style Ace. It ran for 4 consecutive seasons for me and I had put an 11" sheave on instead of the 6" original. I have no trouble recommending the Ace. Also the new style two piece boom is great for stashing it in the cuddy.

Lund-Lubber
Look at the posts from SIR around the same time. He posted pictures which are very close to what my puller looks like.

Lund-Lubber
Look at the posts from SIR around the same time. He posted pictures which are very close to what my puller looks like.

Saw the new fushin king trap puller at Steveston Marine..... Read the specs, id take one of those over ace anyday, and anyday is coming soon!

Saw the new fushin king trap puller at Steveston Marine..... Read the specs, id take one of those over ace anyday, and anyday is coming soon!

I've used the Ace puller for three years now. They are not indistuctable. The motor failed after one season. Ace mailed a new one to me right away. No charge. The switch went on the second motor. Again replaced no charge. I broke the boom off when a trap was hung up on the bottom in a big swell and Ace replaced the main frame for a minor fee. Service has been great. Would I buy another one. You bet.

I've used the Ace puller for three years now. They are not indistuctable. The motor failed after one season. Ace mailed a new one to me right away. No charge. The switch went on the second motor. Again replaced no charge. I broke the boom off when a trap was hung up on the bottom in a big swell and Ace replaced the main frame for a minor fee. Service has been great. Would I buy another one. You bet.

Back