Power tilt yamaha 90 2 stroke

Tips Up

Brought my motor up with power tilt after fishing on Saturday before pulling out. When I went to put the leg back down after pulling out it was stuck in the up position. Everything sounded normal just stuck in up position.
I messed around trying with some weight applied, up/down motor... Nothing was working.
I revisited yesterday and after powering up down a couple of times on the switch it came down. It is now functioning normally. I think I may have just gone too high and it past the pivot point somehow.

So... I had noticed recently some fluid under the boat in this area (stain/ fluid on the concrete in my carport)
It is a 1991 motor and the seals on the cylinders look shot, the tilt motor housing rusty...

Any advice on maintenance, repair of this?
It is working now but I think it should be addressed to avoid future issues.

Thanks
Tips

Anyone?
Mostly wondering if anyone has ever replaced the seals on the hydrolic cylinder?
Or anyone has had to do any maintenance/ repair in this area.
Everything works now but I want to make sure it does not become a problem.

Thanks
Tips

Tips,

Hit your trim switch with some WD40.
Mine did the same thing, stuck in the up position and I thought the ram was shot.
the WD40 fixed it.

Might help ?

Thanks Craven

The switch is good (actually new, had it replaced a few months ago because it was not working all the time).
Tilt motor is all good too. Everything sounded like it was working it just got stuck in up position. I think it went too high and "locked out"
It all functions as it did before now.

Problem is it has now I've had an issue once and I have looked at it so I can't ignore it.

Also had some fluid on the floor under the motor about a month ago that hasn't happened before.
I think the ram is good too but the seals where the rod goes in are old and pretty much fallen apart. I think they are like this on most motors.

I called and booked an appointment at shop for Tuesday morning when it happened on Saturday because I need the boat next weekend.
I have not cancelled appointment yet so probably best to take it in (which is a pain in the butt and the wallet) and have it checked out.

Tips

Check the fluid level...top it up if it is down

Forgot to give some feedback on this...

So I took the boat in and was told that I needed to replace the whole trim unit. Seals were shot and too difficult and expensive to replace...
Rough quoted $2000 ish new or about $900 for a used one they had.
I left with getting nothing done and would think further on it.

So a bit of google and Youtube, as well as advice above. I decided to get some fluid and see if I could buy some time.
Well it took fair amount to top up. I then ran it up and and down with the filler screw out and burped out some watery oil then refilled and bled the air.
Working great now! I know it is not fixed permanently but I bet I get many years out of it and the motor is a 1991.

Disappointing part is that I spent the time to take the boat all the way to shop just to be told it needs a bunch of $$ thrown at it.
They did not check the fluid or top up or even mention it.

I left with a bad experiance, no helpfull advise and spent no money at the shop this time.
I would rather have been charged for an hour labour and fluid with advise and a quote to fix permanently.
Not the first time I have had this kind of experience at this shop. Actually the last 3 times in. Twice with boat and once with quad.
Happy to pay for honest work and advise but getting tired of getting screwed over.
Google is your friend.

Tips

And that is why I gave up on shops years ago!! I would rather struggle and learn than take my boat into a shop. Had some bad experiences and outrageous bills! Never again!

Thanks Craven.

I'm hoping mine will hang in for many years.
It functions a hell a lot better with fluid in it. LOL.

Back