Power Pro

mlaag

Looking for a way to join power pro of equal dia.
Have tried to do the splice method but can not seem to get the 80 Lb power pro to open

The stuff you're using isn't hollow that's why you can't splice it that way.

A Unit to Uni knot will work well tie it slow don't twist the line and tighten up slow and hard.

Back%20to%20Back%20Uni%20Knot.gif

Are you wetting the line or putting liquid soap on it before tying? It shouldn't be breaking at 45lbs, with the knot shown.[?]........BB

What DB posted is what I call a “double” uni-knot when attaching two lines, but that's neither here nor there. That’s like calling the Improved Clinch knot a Fisherman’s knot! Many use different names for different knots.

I know breaking at 45 pounds sounds low, but that is actually about right. The general rule has been a knot reduces strength approximately 50%. That is pretty much true with any material. How do I know, do as mlaag - get your scales out! I also have two friends who for some reason just can’t tie uni-knot? I have been using the uni-knot almost exclusively for many years and have found it just as strong as or stronger than any other knot, if done right! When “not” done right… it will break well below the “normal” 50% ratio! I have gotten as high as 80% using monofilament and when “tested”, but I would have to believe, out fishing “my” knots would also fall into and be closer to the 50% ratio rule?

If you do want to try to increase the breaking strength that gets back to comments of wetting the line and don't twist the line and tighten up slow and hard... and don't let any of the line crossover or overlap any more than necessary; but, in reality – don’t expect to see much over that 50% ratio?

I also use uni-uni, but double the line so each knot's thicker. I've found the line cuts itself, or mono, so easily that doubling the line has stopped my knot breakage entirely.

I definately double the braid for uni-uni to mono, but prefer an Albright knot with the mono being the looped end. That stopped cutting mono by the braid and an easy knot to tie.

Cheers!

Back