Power Pro Rigger Line

Tailspin

Just got a nice present from Powerpro which included 3 100 yard spools of 200# Spectra Downrigger line and sweet 80# Hali line. It is much rounder and thinner in diameter in comparison to the Scotty Braid. I have yet to give it a test run, however it looks as though it will do well in the less drag department and longevity.:D
The Alaska Charter guys swear by it on there riggers.

http://www.powerpro.com/purchase/store/categories.asp?PP_CART_CATEGORY_ID=5

I am also planning on switching to Powerpro. I lost too much gear this year when the ss cable just broke without warning. My question is will the new red stops from Scotty's work with the Powerpro line?

The Power Pro 200 lb is good stuff. I've used it for three seasons. Still going strong. Never broke a ball off and really helps keep the angle down because it's so thin. Yes the new Scotty braided line stops work well with the Power Pro. If you really want to make sure it doesn't slip, just use a drop of Super Glue.

Slabby20, thanks for the reply. Just thinking, instead of using Super Glue, would a simple knot not work? I don't think a knot would weaken the 200lb line by much.

AIK,

Not sure about the knot, I would be afraid of weakening the line. If you don't want to use Super Glue try putting two of the new red braided line stoppers on right together. I haven't had them slip doing this.

...any Spectra line like Dyneema - 150lbs test or better will work for you.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Any local distribution on the Powerpro line ?

Dyneema's very high lubricity leads to poor knot holding ability, and is recommended to use the double nail knot for splicing two lines or where a leader is reqired.

In most cases knots to use for these lines are the Palomar, which delivers 100% of rated strength when used with Dyneema or Spectra lines. Knots that rely on wraps for strength, such as a Rapala knot and the Trilene knot, need to have at least six wraps to avoid slippage and leave a half to three quarter inch tag end [do not cut it short].

http://www.screamingfishfly.com most of the time is stocking bulk Dyneema and other service spooled lines.

quote:Originally posted by Time

Any particular knots that you need to use with these lines? Palomar?

quote:Originally posted by Tailspin

3 seasons slabby[8D]

I have gotten three seasons out of my Power Pro. Now I probably don't fish as often as quite a few of you but I do get out a fair amount. Just how long it will last I don't know. Maybe I'm pushing it but I'm not going to change it out as long as I'm not having problems. The line has changed to a much lighter green color but still seems strong. I just re-tie my knot at the connector swivel every couple of trips.

Back