Power Mooching

Just so everyone is clear - mooching and power mooching are two completely different things. Mooching is using live bait and a 2-3 ounce weight at anchor.

Power mooching is as described by FM - trolling with weight and a cutplug, whole herring or similar (anchovy in a bait head).

I would love to see the look on the trollers face if a boat was anchored up with livies at the Cap. This is literally the only way people used to fish the Cap in the 80s until down riggers took over.

Everyone would just be hanging out at anchor, nothing happening and the bite would come on. You would look around and there might be 10 boats hooked up or more.

We would pass the time chucking buzz bombs and catch the occasional angry 8 lb coho waiting for the bite. There wasn't really a spring fishery back then at the Cap.

Mooching (at anchor) is great. Live bait was available locally but not anymore.

You can still mooch the Cap in the old fashion we used to...and power mooch it too.... the old sweet spots still exist and there are Chinooks there....the red Chinooks that were there were Quinsam stock back when. Use some
Firecracker cutties!

Yup power mooching the current and back eddies up around Stuart island, wicked old times. Clicking the motor in out to keep your lure out at 25-45* and rolling. Getting blow out of your spot. Ah great times, we do I at sandheads once or twice a year. We go in towards the mud. The bottom has lots of funnels that go deep to 35'. Just hold on to your rod and click in out of gear to keep it moving or rolling. It's fun and fairly successful as the salmon haven't seen a presentation like this. Good times

Oh...I get it.

You're one of those guys who figures "I'm entitled to fish where I want and when I want and I'll just slide right on in where I feel like it and screw what the other guy and everyone else has been doing for the last few hours". "I'm going to horn in here....and f them and I'm here now and they should move out of my way" and "they can be the bigger man".

Ever play that with a freighter? cruise ship? Sailboat? Probably not. Bring on the cameras
For that....

So Why would you do that with when joining in to fish an area?

That's what you're advocating. If you force someone to alter speed and course while (because you could and that's because someone " let you come within 100' "

"Comparing notes" as you say does not mean screwing the other guy.

I'll be keeping an eye out for an old 70's Houston like yours fishing the Fraser mouth.... and troll the opposite direction ..because everyone will soon be going out of their way to troll inside of 100' of your boat and want to compare notes with you and your guests and as you will share your infinite chartering success since you're on the charter 365 days of the year and everyone will want your infinite catching wisdom.

I don't want any of that show.... I'll gladly start mooching the other direction.

That's your own argument you're talking about. I was suggesting doing what everyone else is doing, being polite, being friendly and helping other people out when they are coming too close.
You suggested you can fish any way you want no matter what everyone else is up to, and you sound unwilling to budge if you see yourself as being in the right.
Like you said, you're entitled to do whatever you want, just try to be consistent.

I personally choose to not be pushy with my right of way, and always try to make room for others, and respect their technique. I'm annoyed at those who push in on my port, but rather than being immature, I just make slight course changes.

That's your own argument you're talking about. I was suggesting doing what everyone else is doing, being polite, being friendly and helping other people out when they are coming too close.
You suggested you can fish any way you want no matter what everyone else is up to, and you sound unwilling to budge if you see yourself as being in the right.
Like you said, you're entitled to do whatever you want, just try to be consistent.

I personally choose to not be pushy with my right of way, and always try to make room for others, and respect their technique. I'm annoyed at those who push in on my port, but rather than being immature, I just make slight course changes.
2 of the 3 were caught mooching.Lost another one after trolling earlier in the day and not loosening off the drag. In an age of the latest and greatest gadgets as a way to success it's a lost art IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_2604.JPG
    IMG_2604.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 24
2 of the 3 were caught mooching.Lost another one after trolling earlier in the day and not loosening off the drag. In an age of the latest and greatest gadgets as a way to success it's a lost art IMO.

I completely agree, and I try to spend at least five or six hours each week mooching.
I sometimes fish with different people with different priorities, but whenever I can I try to fish with the lightest gear possible. I've actually been talking to my friends about finding a way to get more live herring down from Secret Cove, it's by far my favorite way to fish. Although I'm not too proud to fish with dead herring

Back