Powell River

F

fishhunter666

Hey guys
This is a great forum. Just started fishing the chuck again, since I was a yung lad 20 years ago with my parents. Love the sport:), didn't realise how much I missed it untill I got back into boating this year. Even gave up a week hunting back east.:(
Looking for a little direction.
Going on a fishing holiday for the week of Aug. 28 to Sept. 1. I was thinking of heading up towards powell river. Any fishing reports for the Powell river or Campbell river area? Never fished this area. Looking for a good fishing location ( mostly salmon ). had nothing but bad luck lately. Or any other suggestions on locations. Leaving from vancouver harbour.
Thanks Fishhunter

Fishing in Powell River area has been fantastic this year. Coho Point, Grants Reef, Harwood and the Iron Mines are all producing.
Reports are now starting to trickle in along the mill site and towards Sliammon.
There are still a lot of undersize which bodes well for the future and coho around Harwood, although no hatchery fish taken as yet.
The end of August is also a great time for the Douglas Bay area and Lang Creek as the hatchery fish are returning.
some coho in the mid teens and low twenties taken last September and some of the largest springs on the coast return here.
Right now cop car and army truck coyotes are working well and 30 to 70 feet of water.
Last week at Grants the bait was so thick it tripped the downriggers on a number of occasions and finners were right on the surface.
did not even need the downriggers.

Kisinama,
Thanks for the update. The family and I will be staying at Egmont the next week through Labor Day and would like to try some Salmon fishing in the Powell River area. Are any of the areas that you mention, Coho Point, Grants Reef, Harwood and the Iron Mines, South of the river and within reach of Egmont? I have a 23' with cuddy and twin Yami 115's and have been up to Powell river in years past but not to fish. Thanks for your input.
Regards,
MDT

MDT
You are looking at about a 15 mile run to Douglas Bay and Lang Creek area. The returns are starting to pick up there already. Closer to where you are follow the ferry towards Saltery Bay and fish along Nelson and Hardy Islands from the area closest to the overhead power lines. Friends say the fish are running near 60 feet early in the morning in that area. Army Truck and Green silver coyote spoons on a 5 to 6 foot leader. A little further past Saltery Bay is Scotts Fir Point at Thunder Bay in the reef area there.
Now you are better than halfway to Lang Creek and Douglas Bay. Evening fishing and early morning seem to be the best, but that may be just because more people make it to there then.
The other areas mentioned (Coho Point, Grants and the Iron Mines)are West and North of Powell River

Kisinama,
Thanks for the follow up. I will give your suggestions a try starting Monday when my license kicks in. I have all the spoons and thought I might pick up a few live herring. But I may convert to cut plug since that is what I am use to here in the Puget Sound.
See you on the water.
MDT

Back