Possible Chinook Closure Northern BC

At some point "drastic" measures such as these will have to be implemented if we want to continue to fish for the species we currently fish for. The current model is not even remotely close to sustainable, and the slaughter that goes on both commercially and recreationally on the north coast and westward is pretty staggering. I wonder how the landscape would change if all sportfishing in BC was catch+release only.

LOL...:rolleyes:.... Guess u would be the first one to sell your boat? But don't worry you will get your wish when we get our Chinook cut back with the IMFP on Fraser bound Chinooks... commercial troll fleet looks like it has already.........:(

You talking to me Derby? I release most of the fish I catch and tbh I dont really care for seafood/fish. The few that do get bonked on my boat either get smoked or shared with friends/family. Our annual limits for Chinook salmon are way beyond what one could feasibly consume in a year. Nobody needs 30 whole chinooks to themselves annually...

I like the catch+release idea a lot more than continuing down our current path, and if I did sell my boat it would be to buy a bigger/prettier one!

Catch and release does not mean there is no kill involved.
Do no assume there will be catch and release as some groups are totally against it and they hold the hammer.

You talking to me Derby? I release most of the fish I catch and tbh I dont really care for seafood/fish. The few that do get bonked on my boat either get smoked or shared with friends/family. Our annual limits for Chinook salmon are way beyond what one could feasibly consume in a year. Nobody needs 30 whole chinooks to themselves annually...

I like the catch+release idea a lot more than continuing down our current path, and if I did sell my boat it would be to buy a bigger/prettier one!

"then it’s ensuring that First Nation harvesting rights are met for food, social and ceremonial fish."

That pretty much sums it up

"“First Nations are really taking the bull by the horns here in identifying management plans and fishery plans that have conservation in mind,” Sparrow said. One example he offered was using 18 cm or larger mesh size gill nets to allow sockeye to go through with a small by catch of sockeye."

First Nation on the Fraser have learned if you hang a tight Chinook net you can catch all the sockeye u want. Guess they must of shared that information with the First Nations on the Skeena.

Keep the recs guys off the water in the name of conservation and you get to fish a lone. Example have a look at this notice from last year!

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN0547-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Skeena River - Region 6 - Salmon Close Time Effective Immediately

Effective immediately recreational salmon fishing in the entire Skeena River
Watershed will be closed to July 14, 2017.

Variation Order #2017-299

This closure is being implemented to facilitate First Nations harvesting of
Skeena salmon
due to predicted low returns of Skeena River sockeye salmon in
2017. Recreational, commercial, and First Nations food, social and ceremonial
(FSC) harvesting of sockeye salmon will be closed for the 2017 season, unless
there is an in-season indication of increased Skeena sockeye abundance.

Recreational harvesting opportunities for Skeena coho, pink and chinook salmon
will re-open on July 15. Please refer to the on-line BC Sport Fishing Guide
and future Fishery Notices for details on confirmed opening dates, times and
other restrictions.

The group that must be stopped from fishing and is responsible for killing a lot of Wild Salmon smolts are the open net cage disease spreading, virus infected Fish Farms. They use the Ocean as a sewer system spread the filth around the entire ecosystem and then when the antibiotics in the caged Atlantics have dropped to acceptable levels they fish them out and start the whole process over again. If no one can Fish then niether can they.

Crazy... would this be for the bubble in the picture or the entire north coast?

Nothing is going to change much until Alaska, BC, Wash, Oregon and Cali start working together to fix all the problems and agree to set policies that protect all rivers on this coast. Alaska is the renagade and needs to except that their fisheries have a big impact on evryone elses weaker stocks. There should be an agremwnt where all parties put money and expertise into the pot and work together for a better future.

The group that must be stopped from fishing and is responsible for killing a lot of Wild Salmon smolts are the open net cage disease spreading, virus infected Fish Farms. They use the Ocean as a sewer system spread the filth around the entire ecosystem and then when the antibiotics in the caged Atlantics have dropped to acceptable levels they fish them out and start the whole process over again. If no one can Fish then niether can they.

You amaze me. With all that's going on and all the information that is available for you to read, you still believe salmon farms are the problem, over all else ... . Wow. No wonder sports anglers cannot unite with one voice.

You amaze me. With all that's going on and all the information that is available for you to read, you still believe salmon farms are the problem, over all else ... . Wow. No wonder sports anglers cannot unite with one voice.
Well I for one have done my reading and don't want to wait until the Fish Farms kill off the last Wild Salmon and apparently Washington State doesn't either so when it comes to B.C. working together with Alaska, Washington Oregon and Cali like Profisher suggests we cannot expect to be the only outlier that still permits Open Cage Fish Farms with invasive disease infested Atlantic Salmon in the migration pathways.

Again, wow! Read the comments .. people are blaming mid coast salmon farms on collapsing sockeye and chinook stocks on the Skeena and SW Alaska; doesn't matter the stocks being discussed most likely have not been within a few hundred km of said farms - did they not read what Masson said? Was he lying?

Dave click or read whose names they are, There's a few well knows in their. Lets just say some of them have landed themselves in chris's videos.

Chris goes to all the protests and even he doesn't believe that salmon stocks will recover if fish farms are removed.

"As you know fish farms are just part of the problem and I know you also know the other factors that have caused the decline the last number of years, we are all to blame as well."

Last edited:
Back