Possession limits

That's what I thought too Ziggy some bad info being spread here. Dropping fish or having fish picked up doesn't mean a new possession limit.

I believe even fish you consume on your trip counts towards possession.

That's what I thought too Ziggy some bad info being spread here. Dropping fish or having fish picked up doesn't mean a new possession limit.

I believe even fish you consume on your trip counts towards possession.

If you consume your fish it does not count as possession, you are able to retain another. I always make sure when I am out for multiple day trips to consume a salmon or two and some bottom fish, got to have a feast of fresh.

If you consume your fish it does not count as possession, you are able to retain another. I always make sure when I am out for multiple day trips to consume a salmon or two and some bottom fish, got to have a feast of fresh.
You are incorrect-fish consumed when on a fishing trip is supposed to be part of your possession limit. In all probability no one pays much attention to it but it is what is supposed to happen!!

I read it to mean it counts while preparing, but not after consuming In other words a fish on the grill would count but not one you've eaten. That would be getting kind of weird. That's also why you need to keep the head and tail until consumed but not after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ziggy ... Yea I don't think so. A few others have it right....

I read it to mean it counts while preparing, but not after consuming In other words a fish on the grill would count but not one you've eaten. That would be getting kind of weird. That's also why you need to keep the head and tail until consumed but not after.

Fish caught by an angler that is being prepared, cooked, or is partially consumed away from the angler's ordinary residence ( i.e. while staying at a camp ground, overnighting on a boat, residing at a hotel, etc.) is included as part of the fisher's possession limit. If you send your fish to a licensed fish processor it is still considered to count towards your possession limit. The amount of fish a person is preparing to consume cannot exceed the possession limit. The head and tail of all finfish and the carapace (shell) of any crab caught must be retained until the fish has been consumed.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

Subtle differenc between consumed, i.e. eaten and "prepared, cooked or partially consumed", not yet eaten, GLG, but a difference none the less. Perhaps read it through a second time in full and it'll make sense.

A partially consumed fish is said to be apart of your possession limit which makes sense. But once the fish has been completely eaten...it is gone....how can it be IN possession? Where is it? Lol. Totally realistic to think that 4 guys keep a 6-8 pound spring as as fresh dinner fish and eat it all in a sitting.

Subtle differenc between consumed, i.e. eaten and "prepared, cooked or partially consumed", not yet eaten, GLG, but a difference none the less. Perhaps read it through a second time in full and it'll make sense.

LOL... I know were it is but if I'm a CO I'm not going to look for it...... I see your point.
Too funny...

In my opinion trying to find loopholes around the possession limit is brutal. 8 salmon, 2 halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish etc etc is more than enough for one person on one trip.

X2...it is clearly stated...wtf

I'm not sure anyone was trying to find loopholes around the possession limits, but rather, trying to figure out what was counted in the limits. I, for one, was confused about the whole dropping fish off at a processor and having them shipped home thing. If I understand the rules, the fish dropped off at a processor are counted against your limit until they reach your house.

I don't think it's a loophole.
If I'm staying for 3 day's or more why can't we eat one.
If you follow the logic you can start your daily and possession all over on the third day.
Eat a Halibut then on day 3 go get another one to replace it.
Same for salmon, as long as you stay within the rules why not.
Mark them down on your license and stay within the limits.

added: This point is important.... don't make fish sandwiches for the ride home.

Not advocating taking excessive amounts of fish. But a fish processor could have a partner in Washington state and then ship there. To be picked up by the fisherman there. Then it is out of his possession as soon as it is delivered. But what are the rules on gifting? Here, I can gift to my wife a days limit, and then they are not in my possession. That way on a weekend trip I could bring home two limits. Wife does not fish. And possession here is normally a daily limit for a lot of fish.

The Sport Fishing Guide covers that Calibill. The fish is deemed to be in your possession until it arrives at your normal place of residence. As for your wife claiming possession of some of your catch, I would guess if she had a license and met the criteria of being with you or giving you a letter stating you were transporting her catch, you could possess both your limits.
I'm not with DFO so I'd suggest getting an official ruling from them if you need specifics. Bottom line though I think as sport fishermen we all want to follow the spirit of the regs and appreciate they are there to conserve the species. I'm not suggesting this applies to you, but anyone who really worries about how much a pound it's costing him to fish, would probably be wise to buy his fish from the market. I enjoy fishing and the catch is the bonus. My friends who chide me with "How much does that work out per fish", get the same back as in "do you eat your golf balls?No? So you got no room to put a price on my hobby"?

I think there really has to be be some reasonable interpretation of these rules (maybe there is as I haven't really picked it apart). Obviously as per the law, if you go to a fishing lodge for 4 days or camping for a couple days, the rules are 2 in possession (halibut say) for your drive home and I see the logic. However, even though its black and white, there has to be a reasonable definition and timeframe of 'anglers ordinary residence'. What if you rented a property on some island for a month or stayed at a friends cottage for the summer? You really think its fair to have to stop fishing after catching 2 halibut in first 2 days? It then should become about your annual limit just like everyone else. Their rules are meant for certain cases, but its such a grey area, it screws others that really deserve the right to transport more. To allow a guy to catch 6 halibut in 6 days that happens to live beside the fishing ground and then another guy staying at a home away from home for 2 months is only allowed to catch 2 is ludicrous. Problem being, its impossible to really regulate on a case to case basis.

I think there really has to be be some reasonable interpretation of these rules (maybe there is as I haven't really picked it apart). Obviously as per the law, if you go to a fishing lodge for 4 days or camping for a couple days, the rules are 2 in possession (halibut say) for your drive home and I see the logic. However, even though its black and white, there has to be a reasonable definition and timeframe of 'anglers ordinary residence'. What if you rented a property on some island for a month or stayed at a friends cottage for the summer? You really think its fair to have to stop fishing after catching 2 halibut in first 2 days? It then should become about your annual limit just like everyone else. Their rules are meant for certain cases, but its such a grey area, it screws others that really deserve the right to transport more. To allow a guy to catch 6 halibut in 6 days that happens to live beside the fishing ground and then another guy staying at a home away from home for 2 months is only allowed to catch 2 is ludicrous. Problem being, its impossible to really regulate on a case to case basis.

We run into this a lot in Tofino.

Some guy from the states rents a place for the summer and kills his limit several times a week.

The fish cops bust them because they are not at "their permanent residence".

Maybe the OP should just go on shorter trips and take home their 2 day limit like everyone else. This getting the fish processed and shipped has never sat well with me, it's supposed to be "sport fishing".

My 2 cents worth

Gottcha, FT. Two guys catch the same number of fish, but one ships some home and the other guy is close enough to drive back home everyday. Only the guy who drives home everyday is sporty.

Reasonable interpretation - that's the basis of our legal system and why you'll get different FOs/COs applying the laws/regs differently depending on their interpretation. The FOs/COs have to prove the elements of the offence - in this case what the possession limit is, what they feel you have in your "possession" and what a permanent residence is. Ultimately, if you disagree, it'll be a judge deciding on the interpretation based on the evidence given by the FO versus your evidence. Having said that, it's pretty clear, in my opinion - if you "gift" to your non-license holding wife, or have a fillet left-over from a meal or transport more than a possession limit from your long-term rental and a FO/CO stops you and counts your fish, they'll compare numbers to fishing licenses (unless there's receipts for legally purchased fish) and even if you're that half-uneaten fillet over the stated possession limit, you'll likely be getting an appearance order.

I'm on the fence on this reg - on one hand I don't want to see the old days of field canning or folks staying in a spot for a month and whacking and stacking dozens of coho. On the other, when there's a very small annual limit like for halibut and limited access for some of us, it'd be nice to take better advantage. That being said, the rules are what they are. I go to Ukee for a week in June even though I know I can likely take my limit in a few days. But, like has been said, I go for the sport and to be on the water/coast - I take advantage of my full limits when I can and every bit is used and appreciated but if I'm a fish or two short, it doesn't lessen the experience or change the main reason I fish.

Two cents to add to the growing pile. LOL

Ukee

Back