Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

It is no longer a Govt dock,it is owned by the town of Renfrew ,it is only for charter operators who own property in renfrew and conduct business out of renfrew no public moorage available period,

It has been a "Community" dock for guite some time. The spaces on the "Community" dock itself are quite limited and hard to get. If you want to get one of those, plan well in advance. I serious doubt if you find a spot during peak season?

If you want a spot on the floats, I would recommend calling Trailhead. In the past, they have found me spots on the floats, which are very much open to the public - FOR A FEE. I have not had much trouble getting a spot, even during peak season. It is on a first come basis and they usually will find a spot. They will also tell you exactly what to do; to include, if you need to raft to one of their boats.

Normally, at the end of the dock you will find a loading and unloading area (it is well marked). If that isn't available for some reason, just call Trailhead and they will advise you where to load and unload. Unless things recently changed, on the dock itself there should be a dingy used to get back and forth from the floats. Drop a person off and have them roll that dingy out to the assigned float. And if in peak season, get out your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve. We are renting a place end of month that "owns" a spot so was wondering if docks would be in. The caretaker taking reservations was clueless on the situation. PRM it is.

Sorry Charlie ,if you got a spot on the outside float thats because it belongs to trailhead nolonger a digny or shuttle service available,but when it comes to the actual community dock no go and there never has been a loading and unloading area ,if a person was lucky enough like JuandeOne and is able to get a spot through an origanal owner of the the spot then count yourself lucky

JUst a note Charlie it is a private wharf and not open to the public ,actually sick and tireds of finding people who are tied up in our spots and whom have been misinformed that it is open to the public ,and no one has ever rafted at the community dock perhaps hovies outside float but definatly a no go at our dock way to much money tied up to have some jackass srew things up

It is no longer a Govt dock,it is owned by the town of Renfrew ,it is only for charter operators who own property in renfrew and conduct business out of renfrew no public moorage available period,

Not trying to stir the pot but very, very curious --- were those the terms and understanding when Transport Canada turned the publicly owned dock over to the PR Community Dock Society? Thought that moorage was supposed to be available and the funds from moorage would go back into the society for maintenance of the dock. Did federal taxpayers not fund another $400 000 to be put into the dock - after it was turned over - so the society would/could make improvements and manage it for others to use? There is allot of money tied up there - no pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a Govt wharf to begin with which was only open too commercial interests,the govt did give this wharf over to the community plus the grant to do the necccesary improvements ,new pilings new decking and of course the builing of the docks they were only granted 21 spots with terms of no further expansion ,a community dock society was formed which involved all the legal entities ie president vice pres and directors,at this time in order to sustain funds for general maintance etc that persons owing property in renfrew and contributing to the local economy would be giving priorty accesss to this dock also with the ailing health of Stan Meed former slash manager it was decided through do process that it would be much easier knowing who would be on the docks for the season,the hotel has been granted 3 spots which in occasion sub leases there spots because they do not have a boat as well as Soul Creek Lodge with 1

Sorry i forgot to mention that they outer part of the dock still remains a commercial space and is rented by San Juan Fish, they contribute the largest share of dock fees for the society

Hey, an actual Port Renfrew fishing report. :)

Fished the beach with "Hourston", a little flurry in the am at Camper and another around noon at Logan. A 31 pounder and a sockeye kept. Spring was a white. A little dark 20 pounder thrown back, another 2 or 3 that looked decent but shook the hook, and a bunch of pesky rockfish bait stealers.

Weird to get a sockeye close to shore on anchovie, aren't they supposed to be all gone?

Thanks for fun day John

Hmm, seems to me that if the number of boats out there were any indication of the business the restaurant and other amenities would get if more spots were available for pit stops then the "community" would consider it. Think of the potential revenue.

Hey, an actual Port Renfrew fishing report. :)

Fished the beach with "Hourston", a little flurry in the am at Camper and another around noon at Logan. A 31 pounder and a sockeye kept. Spring was a white. A little dark 20 pounder thrown back, another 2 or 3 that looked decent but shook the hook, and a bunch of pesky rockfish bait stealers.

Weird to get a sockeye close to shore on anchovie, aren't they supposed to be all gone?

Thanks for fun day John

Good to see that someone is still out getting some nice fish! Unfortunately for me my season is done so I have to read reports for action till next spring! lol

I agree with LastChance about ThreePoints new docks for rec users next summer. I bought a place there so I will definitely be a user. They are supposed to expand next season and will offer spots to cottage owners first and then fill according to their wait list after that......or so it has been told to me anyways...lol

Just wondering ....since I'm a property owner now. Does that mean I would be able to get a slip at the Community Dock if I was a "Part Time" guide??? JK........I think I will leave it to the pros and remain a weekend warrior......Good luck this fall to anyone that gets out and be sure to post up some reports! :)

HIghlights,i don,t no how much time you spend in renfrew but with a comment like that i would say very little, the community dock was full all year each in return those guests used lodging in town supported the local restuarants and stores where as the people who use the prm marina are all self sufficant like yourself and rarely support the community perhaps bud and rex,the new circle route has provided a huge stimilus to the local restuarant seen and if you were there every day you would have noticed this,the port renfrew hotel Res had its biggest year since the new owners,

Hoping to come out in the next week or two to do some quick fishing and bring my boat home. Hope to read a few recent FISHING reports. Does the outlook look promising for some Coho?

"the people who use the prm marina are all self sufficant like yourself and rarely support the community"

I don't really think that's a fair comment to make.

Speaking for myself, I know I a spent a good chunk of money at the general store and the Pub in Renfrew this summer while staying at PRM. I found the marina was often out of ice which meant a trip to the store in town. While at the store, I would usually get some groceries as well, and hey while I'm there I might as well get some Bailey's and Kahlua, and pain killers (for the sore back from the trips to the banks), etc. etc, etc. Anytime I went there I rarely spent less than a hundred bucks at the store. So, I know the merchants in town do get a fair bit of money from the marina customers.

I know PRM is far from being a classy business establishment, but as far as fish camps go it is more than adequate for my needs. It would be nice if there was more moorage that wasn't tide dependent. My boat is fairly shallow draft, so even that is no big deal to me. It would be nice if there was more temporary tie ups in town, as then I would go there even more often to shop. I have my camper on the truck and if I could take my boat to town instead I would go there far more.

Local politics aside.... are the bigger cohos showing up in numbers? My 2$ re gov dock, hey the guides who work up there earn the space on that dock. It's business, and all business has it's advantages and this is one for the Rennie guides, just one of those things.

Back