Port Alice / Neroutsos inlet fishing

Slabbedout

Looking at possibly investing in a property near Port Alice. Just curious what the fishing and boating conditions are in Neroutsos inlet ? I run a 16’ welded boat so I don’t think I will be traveling too far or heading out of the inlet.

The plan would be to have the boat and a trailer there to use for multi day trips several times a year and also rent it out to a close group of friends.

My main concern is the weather and conditions for smaller boats and if decent fishing is accessible.

It's a haul to where fish are usually found but conditions inside Quatsino aren't usually that bad.

I sent you a PM.
I live in Port Alice.

Looking at possibly investing in a property near Port Alice. Just curious what the fishing and boating conditions are in Neroutsos inlet ? I run a 16’ welded boat so I don’t think I will be traveling too far or heading out of the inlet.

The plan would be to have the boat and a trailer there to use for multi day trips several times a year and also rent it out to a close group of friends.

My main concern is the weather and conditions for smaller boats and if decent fishing is accessible.
My buddy lives in PA. He fishes in narrows with decent success particularly when the coho show up. He mostly runs to cliff point for chinook and from there wind depending he will fish in front of the light house for bottom fish. It takes him about 50 mins to get to cliff in a 18’ in a weld alum boat.

I believe its non retention on chinook east of cliff pt? Or is that only certain times of year? Cant remember

That is a nice map.

That's what the regulation was. If you read the light blue east of cliff pt, it's got a maximum 77cm. Pretty tough in August getting something smaller. Last time I fished there we were throwing back 25lbr after 25lbr. Seems by August everything we fished there that was about average. 20-25 lbs

My buddy lives in PA. He fishes in narrows with decent success particularly when the coho show up. He mostly runs to cliff point for chinook and from there wind depending he will fish in front of the light house for bottom fish. It takes him about 50 mins to get to cliff in a 18’ in a weld alum boat.

This is my concern. I am not really fond of a 45-1 hour rip to go fishing and it would probably be much longer in less than ideal conditions. I have fished the winter Harbour area many years ago and I remember it being less than pleasant where you where exposed to the open ocean.

I am sure no big deal in a larger boat, unfortunately that’s not happening anytime soon.

Maybe zip across the island and fish Hardy? With a 16’ boat, you’re probably only fishing days with light wind or 5-15knts. That was my rule anyways when I had my 16’ aluminum. Good coho fishing inside. I’m sure with a little time, you’d be able to figure out the crabbing/prawning and places to jig as well.

That is a nice map.

That's what the regulation was. If you read the light blue east of cliff pt, it's got a maximum 77cm. Pretty tough in August getting something smaller. Last time I fished there we were throwing back 25lbr after 25lbr. Seems by August everything we fished there that was about average. 20-25 lbs
I’m stoked you got into some nice chinook when you were there even if you had to release them. But to say there aren’t any chinook under 77 cm east of cliff after July 15 simply isn’t true. Believe me I wish it were true.

Anyways not getting into a debate about who is catching fish when and where.

Slabbedout the area you are looking at is an awesome spot with lots of opportunity to catch salmon and bottom fish.

Good luck
Cheers,

I’m stoked you got into some nice chinook when you were there even if you had to release them. But to say there aren’t any chinook under 77 cm east of cliff after July 15 simply isn’t true. Believe me I wish it were true.

Anyways not getting into a debate about who is catching fish when and where.

Slabbedout the area you are looking at is an awesome spot with lots of opportunity to catch salmon and bottom fish.

Good luck
Cheers,

Fair enough. Guess we got lucky last couple times I fished there. It was slab fest each time. Great spot there when you turn the corner headed east, there's that nice little bay there. Slab fest

Last time we were there they were crushing the teaser heads so hard we would be lucky to get 2 fish out of a teaser head. Crushed into several pieces.

This is my concern. I am not really fond of a 45-1 hour rip to go fishing and it would probably be much longer in less than ideal conditions. I have fished the winter Harbour area many years ago and I remember it being less than pleasant where you where exposed to the open ocean.

I am sure no big deal in a larger boat, unfortunately that’s not happening anytime soon.
there’s amazing prawning in neurotsis. not sure if you’re setup for that in a 16’ boat but there’s that

man that’s a nice simple map to read.
They are all on dfo site , every area of bc

Op its great fishing springs/coho inside waters certain times of yr, my largest hali (136lbs)was caught in front of hecate cove draging bottom for springs yrs back, crabbing and prawning can be excellent also

They are all on dfo site , every area of bc

Op its great fishing springs/coho inside waters certain times of yr, my largest hali (136lbs)was caught in front of hecate cove draging bottom for springs yrs back, crabbing and prawning can be excellent also
yes i’m well aware; i’m commenting more on the simplicity of the boundaries and provided details.

the maps are a right mess down island; closer to any population

Traps at or deeper than 200 ft should be mostly out of otter reach. Might there be crab there for same reason?

Oh there's Crab to be found if you know where to look.....

IMGP0302.jpg

IMGP0303.jpg

Good crabs and prawns=coho is excellent in the fall-you have to travel a bit for springs due to closures.

Back