Port Alberni Sockeye return 1.8 million :)

hmmm? Good news story re: this year's Port Alberni sockeye? Perhaps the silver lining is the fact that rec fishermen are more easily able to target sockeye for the following reasons:

1) Warm and low rivers mean that the sox are not moving into the river as they typically would
2) They are hanging out deep from what I hear (deeper than where the seiners can get to) so again this would allow rec to target them more easily with sonar/downriggers.

I haven't yet fished for sox in the inlet this year so I'd be interested in hearing reports from those who have. I've spoken with the conservation groups in the area and they are not hopeful for this year's run with such warm/low water in the river. They are not alone in their feelings either as most parts of BC are experiencing at/near record temps and low water so it will be a very challenging spawning season on many parts of the coast.

Wondering what the latest escapement numbers are? Havent seen any posted in some time.
Great news to hear about the size of the run, not sure how many are going to make it up the rivers and through the lakes. The Sproat River in particular is super low and there are dozens of fish littered across the lake daily that are floating and rotted from what looks like heat-related disease? the ones I have seen are all pre-spawn fish.

the one time i fished this year for sox in Alberni the fish were mostly at 60-90 feet and in years previous, never had to go beyond 60 to get em.

Wondering what the latest escapement numbers are? Havent seen any posted in some time.
Great news to hear about the size of the run, not sure how many are going to make it up the rivers and through the lakes. The Sproat River in particular is super low and there are dozens of fish littered across the lake daily that are floating and rotted from what looks like heat-related disease? the ones I have seen are all pre-spawn fish.

the one time i fished this year for sox in Alberni the fish were mostly at 60-90 feet and in years previous, never had to go beyond 60 to get em.

Ive hit them from 30-180 though the last few times I was out 100-130 were the ticket for nice fish

Strange times.....
From an email I received today.

Folks;
We have observed an abundance of adult Sockeye in the Puntledge River this year. DNA samples have identified them as Sprout L / Great Central L origin.
I’m estimating 200 – 300 in total to date. These fish were also identified in the Area 20 (Juan de Fuca) fishery & are showing up in the Cowichan River.
You may want to keep an eye out in other systems for their presence.

A fellow told me yesterday he had seen some sockeye in the Big Qualicum last year. I figured he had seen some tomato Coho but.... Who knows?

GLG,

this is very strange indeed if confirmed true. Were these sox actually in river? how far up? Who did the DNA testing? thanks for sharing... I know a few people who will find this very interesting but they will also want more info so anything you can provide would be helpful. thx

Strange times.....
From an email I received today.

Folks;
We have observed an abundance of adult Sockeye in the Puntledge River this year. DNA samples have identified them as Sprout L / Great Central L origin.
I’m estimating 200 – 300 in total to date. These fish were also identified in the Area 20 (Juan de Fuca) fishery & are showing up in the Cowichan River.
You may want to keep an eye out in other systems for their presence.

GLG,

this is very strange indeed if confirmed true. Were these sox actually in river? how far up? Who did the DNA testing? thanks for sharing... I know a few people who will find this very interesting but they will also want more info so anything you can provide would be helpful. thx

Yes the sox's were in the river but I don't know how far up. 100% reliable source.
PM incoming.

Got this from another friend.
A few years back 2005 or so a large number of Fraser River late run sockeye 20,000 went up the Nimpkish River along with another river on the Mainland Scott Cove Creek I think so not totally out of the norm. Think it was associated with a large return.

The big difference is this years are they on the wrong side of the island.
Strange times....

Sockeye apparently hate warm water so some may have diverted inside to avoid west coast warmer water???

I dunno??

Strange indeed.

Take care.

Back