Port alberni Inlet massacre

Rememeber this run is a hatchery run of fish and are ment to be harvested period.. so as long as the hatchery gets it fish which they should this year we all have had our crack at he harvest.. The Capilano river system is the same..

Rememeber this run is a hatchery run of fish and are ment to be harvested period.. so as long as the hatchery gets it fish which they should this year we all have had our crack at he harvest.. The Capilano river system is the same..
I have no problem with the commercial or native openings , just hope there is fish in decent numbers for the derby

I agree... the fish have funny this year.. they have been pretty closed mouth..one of those years :)

Have to hope they didn't drop nets on the bulk of the run though and that there are still lots of fish yet to come in... otherwise the hatchery could be in trouble considering that the west coast troll opening likely took a good chunk out of this run already before it even showed up in area 23...

There are about 15 vehicles and a pile of people banging drums on the ramp at Clutesi at the moment. Doesn’t look like anyone can launch or pull a boat out. Some type of protest again. Hopefully they don’t plan disrupt the derby.

just came back from Alberni things were going as they should right now.. they can bang the drum all they want.. there mistake and they need to take ownership of it..the round table does work :)

Is this the same group that walked from the round table?

Last edited:
Derby, not sure if you can say or not but is DFO not allowing them to fish springs because they intentionally over fished sockeye?

Or speak on the overharvest of the sockeye?

Anyone have any numbers on the Chinook run size before the Robertson hatchery was put in?

Had to laugh at this quote, as they were set up in front of DFO Office in Alberni, only to then go block another group from the water at the ramp.

But Tseshaht elected chief councillor Cynthia Dick said on Tuesday that "organizers chose the location (DFO Office) because the conflict is between Tseshaht First Nation and the DFO—not any other fishing groups."

From commercial Facebook Gillnet page

The Barkley Sound Roundtable met this afternoon.

The Somas chinook run forecast has been upgraded from 90,000 to 117,000. This is a temporary upgrade, contingent on there being a strong backend to the run, otherwise it will be reduced to 110,000.

The Area D catch this past week was 19,000 and our total catch this season is 24,940 pieces. Our allocation at this run size is 16,800 - So we are sitting 8,000 over allocation right now.

After labor day, the recreational catch is calculated, then some fish is set aside to allow for future angling in September, and then any surplus recreational expected catch is reallocated to the other stakeholders. It looks like there will be some fish to reallocate, but it depends on the success of the derby, and how the fish bite this week. The recreational fishery has been extremely poor this past week.

At the moment it looks like there will be enough recreational catch transfered over to cover off our overage, and the Area D Allocation number will work out nearly exactly correct. So we have not fished into anyone else's allocation, or into escapement.

There will be an extra meeting on Tuesday, at 1pm where we will have updated escapement, and sports catch numbers.

Any further Area D opportunity will depend on an additional run size upgrade substantially higher than where they went today. I won't say that it is impossible, but it is a long shot.

There will be First Nation fisheries scheduled for next week. Potentially for Monday - Wednesday night, as they are behind on their allocation. These fisheries may be FSC or Economic Opportunity fisheries, depending. Keep an eye on these catches, as they will be a good indicator of how much fish is still in the system.

The escapement is currently at 6,000 adults, and the target escapement is 21,000 adults.

The roundtable is going to pay for an additional test boat day for Monday, to try and get a clearer picture of where we are in the run. If the peak is already through and the backend looks small, the run may be downgraded. If it looks like there is still more fish coming through in the canal, the FN catches are high, and the escapement is progressing well, an additional upgrade is possible.

I will update this thread if I learn anything before Tuesday's meeting, and then make a new post after Tuesday's meeting.

-Ryan

Ok I have an honest question. I thought hatchery salmon didnt have native priority?

Who funds the hatchery?

I don't think it matters, hatchery or otherwise as the UN Declaration of Rights of Indigenous Peoples essentially states that Indigenous peoples everywhere in the world are supposed to have first priority and ready access to any of the lands and resources that fall within their ancestral territory. Therefore as a UN member state, the Canadian Govt is legally obligated to cave in almost any time there is a dispute involving lands, resources, etc.
Unrelated to BC issues, but still an Indigenous issue; look at Google Maps and you'll notice that Nunavut expropriated almost the ENTIRE Hudson bay (Including the vast majority of James bay) when it was established as a 'new' territory, despite other First Nations in Northern Ontario and Northern Quebec actually living on the shores of Hudson Bay since time immemorial (which the Nunavut Inuit tribes DO NOT).

Would be great if the hatchery got more funding to allow for more than 21,000 for brood allotment.

Maybe if all user groups are wanting more fish then they should be pushing for more hatcheries.

Hopefully FN would be smart and push this agenda rather than just taking from other user groups that support the local economy.

Ahhh to dream...

Back